Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have the patch where I can see exactly how many apps are downloaded and the numbers are so scarce for paid apps its sad
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Yes i think so
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    the failure is all the Pre users who won't fork over money for apps!
    What kind of question is that? It seems like you've already formulated an opinion. Do you want me to hold your hand and tell you everything will be okay or are you here just to flame the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    the failure is all the Pre users who won't fork over money for apps!
    Screw that. I haven't paid for an app yet, because they are all freaking garbage. Maybe if something came out that was worth it, i would "fork over" my money.
    So far, 100% YES. If they ever give the devs the access they sorely need, maybe we'll start getting some REAL apps that provide REAL functionality to make this "smartphone" truly SMART.
  7. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    The app catalog isn't the failure, the SDK is the failure and the dev tools. Improve the latter two and the app store will flourish im sure....
    When users get the apps they want they will buy them. Like others have said an improved SDK will help with that.

...also, hard to make a judgment on an app catalog that isn't even out of beta yet.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    What kind of question is that? It seems like you've already formulated an opinion. Do you want me to hold your hand and tell you everything will be okay or are you here just to flame the Pre?
    calm down buddy, just because not every post here is a "Pre is awesome" post, doesnt mean you have to get your panties in a bunch.

I love the pre and i was asking if others felt it was a failure.

My opinion was that it is so far a major failure, but thats just my opinion, i wanted to see what others felt.

this is a FORUM afterall to discuss these types of things
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    calm down buddy, just because not every post here is a "Pre is awesome" post, doesnt mean you have to get your panties in a bunch.

I love the pre and i was asking if others felt it was a failure.

My opinion was that it is so far a major failure, but thats just my opinion, i wanted to see what others felt.

this is a FORUM afterall to discuss these types of things
    On what basis ?
    I have the patch where I can see exactly how many apps are downloaded and the numbers are so scarce for paid apps its sad
    It's the app limitation. Palm needs to fix it if they want people to actually buy apps.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    On what basis ?
    Purely on the quality of apps available and the measly sales.

I mean the Homebrew apps were basically the same as what we are seeing in the app store. If you add up all the downloads since the App store went with paid apps, Palm is making less then pennies off the apps
    I don't think it's a failure it's just not successful yet. The user base is nothing compare to android, blackberry and definitely apple.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Failure is a harsh word. It's more of simple reality of the current state of affairs. I really think you can trace tepid app sales back to the SDK -- it is what is driving the limited quality and low sophistication of apps. That's the root issue. The sales are really just the public "measure" of the whole situation.

Now, if Palm releases a blockbuster SDK and app sales are still poor, then it might be considered a failure. But we haven't gotten near that point yet.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    It needs a better sdk, open gl, and a faster approval process to make some good apps
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
    I think a lot of it depends on what you are looking for in an app. I've found some useful apps and am happy with them. I don't want to make any assumptions about the OP (so please correct me if I am wrong) but with a user name like biggamer3, I expect the OP is looking for a different set of apps than I am. With a more open SDK and better developer access to the hardware, I expect expanded application types.
    I agree with many others. The app catalogue itself is not the failure. I am more then willing to pay for a quatily app that fits a paticular need. That criteria will be different for everyone but the more apps that are made the better chance that something will appeal to someone's needs ...

I check the app catalogue every day just hoping that Slingplayer is released even though I hear very little about a possible Web OS version.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

This thread needs numbers.
    I would simply hate to be some folks' kid... Not in college by the time you're 5? Failure.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    The app catalog isn't the failure, the SDK is the failure and the dev tools. Improve the latter two and the app store will flourish im sure....
    Agreed on the above but you are missing one other failure. The Devs. I realize thier hands are tied when it comes to the SDK and what can/will be approved by Palm. However, it is the devs responsability to not develop garbage apps. There are several apps released in the catalog that are broken but are fine on homebrew and the developers know it and yet release it anyway and are charging for it. This is a HUGE disservice to unsuspecting customers especially since there is no option to try before you buy.

If the app can't be released to the catalog due to unoffical functions than don't release it to the app catalog without them if it brakes functionality. Wait until the those functions are approved and release a quality app instead of junk. This seriously affects how future customers will accept the app catalog.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast