Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 90
  1. #21  
    Honestly, anything to do with apps and the Pre is a failure. I've spent probably $100 on apps for my iPhone. I have spent $0 in the Palm app catalogue. The apps for the Pre are pure crap.
  2. #22  
    So far Im not impressed with anything in there and I know that there are four or five apps that I would purchase if they were available.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    the failure is all the Pre users who won't fork over money for apps!
    Fork over money for apps we dont want?? Or low quality apps?? Thats rediculous.. Twee is the only app worth my money as of now... If we get a better sdk then Im pretty sure it will get better... I need a app like shazaam or midomi and I will pay up to 10 dollars for it, but with nothing to access the mic in the current sdk this app isnt possible.. Trapster is nice too but its free..
  4. Ripcode's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #24  
    I've paid for (1) app so far and I am quite happy with it (Tweed).

    I'm looking forward to future apps.

    I'd love to have some games but until the games can use the GPU, I am not buying any.

    App Catalog:

    Failure... no.

    Success.... Hell No!

    Work in progress... yes.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripcode View Post
    App Catalog:

    Failure... no.

    Success.... Hell No!

    Work in progress... yes.
    Agreed, 100%.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    the failure is all the Pre users who won't fork over money for apps!
    Or can't; the Canadian App Store doesn't do paid apps yet... what makes that really painful is some of the apps I want have homebrew versions I could run except that they'll expire shortly so what's the point? Grargh...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

    PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  7. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #27  
    I do think it is failing ......so far.....but word wirl is the best app in there as far as i'm concerned....so I bought it and it was worth it. I'm didn't see anything else that I thought was worth the precious space on my Pre.
  8. #28  
    What are some numbers, for say Twee and Tweed?
  9. #29  
    I'd pay good money for Keycaps...
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    calm down buddy, just because not every post here is a "Pre is awesome" post, doesnt mean you have to get your panties in a bunch.

    I love the pre and i was asking if others felt it was a failure.

    My opinion was that it is so far a major failure, but thats just my opinion, i wanted to see what others felt.

    this is a FORUM afterall to discuss these types of things
    Even though the numbers may not be what you think they should, the fact is that not only are the apps continuing to come in (which indicates that the developers think there's something there); some that have produced paid apps are already upgrading them.

    I guess step one would be to define "failure" in this context.
  11. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #31  
    you're the failure! hahaha! come on i know I wasn't the only one who wanted to say it.. don't cry dude
  12. #32  
    I too would pay for keycaps...

    Out of the apps available that I would actually pay money for are:

    Flashlight! (the one that actually uses the camera flash LED)
    Preware - it's da bomb!
    MyTether
    Comics
    Switcharoo
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by motoracer1486 View Post
    Honestly, anything to do with apps and the Pre is a failure. I've spent probably $100 on apps for my iPhone. I have spent $0 in the Palm app catalogue. The apps for the Pre are pure crap.
    Wow!!! A whole $100!!! Palm really should be pursuing you big spenders.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Even though the numbers may not be what you think they should, the fact is that not only are the apps continuing to come in (which indicates that the developers think there's something there); some that have produced paid apps are already upgrading them.

    I guess step one would be to define "failure" in this context.
    How would you define failure hparsons. The last time you and I had a similar exchange you defined success as palm's ability to have paid commercial application by end of September. So is the catalog successful? If not what other metric would you use to determine failure or success?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wow!!! A whole $100!!! Palm really should be pursuing you big spenders.
    I was gonna say the same basic thing. And that $100 was probably a whole bunch of apps, I'm guessing somewhere around a $1.99 average price. To paraphrase a cliche: with customers like this...

    Problem is, this seems to be the predominant attitude lately: that any app over $1.99 is ridiculously overpriced. It's really no surprise that someone would think $100 is a huge amount to spend on software.

    On a related note, there've been reams of stuff already written about how poisonous is the Apple App Store. I really do think Apple's created a monster, and with 100,000 apps (!), how in the world can a developer really hope to compete? Really, it boggles the mind.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #36  
    So, we are 'bad' Pre owners because we refuse to buy useless apps?

    We are 'bad' Pre owners because we use a Linux phone and might be used to using free open source software doing what we need?

    Give me a friggin break.
  17. #37  
    wasnt the app catalog supposed to come out of beta September??

    ***looks at calendar and sighs...***
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Or can't; the Canadian App Store doesn't do paid apps yet... what makes that really painful is some of the apps I want have homebrew versions I could run except that they'll expire shortly so what's the point? Grargh...
    I've got two that I'd like to buy, but they don't take Amex. :-(
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    How would you define failure hparsons. The last time you and I had a similar exchange you defined success as palm's ability to have paid commercial application by end of September. So is the catalog successful? If not what other metric would you use to determine failure or success?
    Actually, I didn't define it that way, you did so for me. As a matter of fact, I specifically stated that my definitions were not yours.

    I'm not the one asking the question, I'm trying to answer it. No one can, until the original poster says what constitutes "failure".
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yeah, they only sold 50 million iPhone OS devices so if everyone only bought $100 of apps per device, that would only add up to 5 billion dollars. I mean, why would anyone even bother?
    Obviously, not "everyone" is spending $100. Many of those users are spending $0.
    However, go with your number, subtract the 30% Apple takes off the top. Divide the remaining by the 100,000 apps that are up there. That brings it down to (I think) about 35k per app. They have to pay a programmer out of that, often multiple programmers. Sorry, I don't think the platform supports 100,000 serious programs out there selling to folks that think $100 is a LOT of money.

    As has been stated, there are tons of articles out there about developers that are beginning to sour on the $.99 apps "business model".
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions