Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. s4l
    s4l is offline
    s4l's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey guys,
    First of all I appreciate everyone's contributions in this forum. I have been visiting this website for while and I must say, I am impressed.

    However my question is I'd love to have the Palm Pre for T-mobile USA.
    If I were to buy a T-mobile UK O2 PALM PRE would edge network work flawlessly?
    And how slow is Edge? is it really horrible on the Pre? Is page rendering really as horrible as certain people have exaggerated?

    I know 3G would not work due to frequency, But my concerns are the following.

    1)How is it on Edge?
    2)Is updating its firmware really a hassle? Since its a British version and its not available for GSM networks? Would sprint firmwares give a GSM version of the pre the run around or would it be perfectly normal.

    please shed some light and feel free to chime in to add your $0.02.

    I appreciate all replies and concerns.


    Thanks.


    Sincerely,


    -Ahmad
  2. #2  
    well right now it wont work at all with the services being out and all
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. s4l
    s4l is offline
    s4l's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    well right now it wont work at all with the services being out and all
    What do you mean by that?

    care to elaborate?
  4. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #4  
    I don't think anyone has done it. From what I read you need to buy something called a Rebel SIM and then you can use it on t-mobile.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashtunify View Post
    Hey guys,
    First of all I appreciate everyone's contributions in this forum. I have been visiting this website for while and I must say, I am impressed.

    However my question is I'd love to have the Palm Pre for T-mobile USA.
    If I were to buy a T-mobile UK O2 PALM PRE would edge network work flawlessly?
    And how slow is Edge? is it really horrible on the Pre? Is page rendering really as horrible as certain people have exaggerated?

    I know 3G would not work due to frequency, But my concerns are the following.

    1)How is it on Edge?
    2)Is updating its firmware really a hassle? Since its a British version and its not available for GSM networks? Would sprint firmwares give a GSM version of the pre the run around or would it be perfectly normal.

    please shed some light and feel free to chime in to add your $0.02.

    I appreciate all replies and concerns.


    Thanks.


    Sincerely,


    -Ahmad
    Well with the Pre being on a CDMA network here in the US we don't know how EDGE will work on the Pre. EDGE on a JailBroken Iphone was ok, Not blazing fast but it got the job done. Now for youtube ect. EDGE will falter.

    Depending on how Palm seeds the updates you might be on the UK list for Pre updates. IE you could be a version or 2 behind. We don't know yet as to if that will come to pass. From what has been mentioned. It looks like when 1.3.1 comes out it will go out to both markets at the same time.

    This is all speculation until it happens.

    Good luck being the guinea pig.
  6. s4l
    s4l is offline
    s4l's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Well with the Pre being on a CDMA network here in the US we don't know how EDGE will work on the Pre. EDGE on a JailBroken Iphone was ok, Not blazing fast but it got the job done. Now for youtube ect. EDGE will falter.

    Depending on how Palm seeds the updates you might be on the UK list for Pre updates. IE you could be a version or 2 behind. We don't know yet as to if that will come to pass. From what has been mentioned. It looks like when 1.3.1 comes out it will go out to both markets at the same time.

    This is all speculation until it happens.

    Good luck being the guinea pig.

    Interesting, What do you think about page rendering? Is it fairly comparable to the iphone ?


    Since T-mobile is NOT going to carry the PRE, would it be a smart choice just to purchase it from the U.K and run it on Edge/WiFi my main concern is the updates, Would I be able to manually update such as on my Blackberry or Iphone?


    Do you have a Palm pre yourself btw?



    Thanks!
  7. s4l
    s4l is offline
    s4l's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    I don't think anyone has done it. From what I read you need to buy something called a Rebel SIM and then you can use it on t-mobile.
    Indeed, And I don't mind walking a extra mile or so to have it up and running but what my concern is if its worth all the hassle. I work for a major wireless company so I get tired of phones really quick, However The Palm pre looks promising.
  8. #8  
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashtunify View Post
    Interesting, What do you think about page rendering? Is it fairly comparable to the iphone ?


    Since T-mobile is NOT going to carry the PRE, would it be a smart choice just to purchase it from the U.K and run it on Edge/WiFi my main concern is the updates, Would I be able to manually update such as on my Blackberry or Iphone?


    Do you have a Palm pre yourself btw?



    Thanks!
    Yes I do have a Pre.

    Switched from a JailBroken Iphone to the Pre. I loved the Iphone and if I hadn't had signal issues i'd still be on it. As I said EDGE for the Pre Iphone should be the same (they both use the same webkit). Updates God only knows. If they had a GSM Pre with proper 3g support i'd still be with Tmo. On the whole though Sprint has been quite good to me. As far as a manual update I doubt it. That is not how Palm does things.
  10. s4l
    s4l is offline
    s4l's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Yes I do have a Pre.

    Switched from a JailBroken Iphone to the Pre. I loved the Iphone and if I hadn't had signal issues i'd still be on it. As I said EDGE for the Pre Iphone should be the same (they both use the same webkit). Updates God only knows. If they had a GSM Pre with proper 3g support i'd still be with Tmo. On the whole though Sprint has been quite good to me. As far as a manual update I doubt it. That is not how Palm does things.
    Oh! so the updates are pushed? I see.

    CDMA is just not for me, I really want the pre.


    How do you like the pre so far as comparison to the iphone? does it get the job done?
  11. #11  
    well with t mobile or att ur just on the slower network its proven sprint has the fastest network period so u should consider switching because everything is included in those plans like tv and gps navigation and since the palm pre play youtube in hd and on edge it would probably super slow and load all the time it wouldnt be a pleasure to watch. ur pre would underderform on edge period. pandora radio would be slow and stuff so ya it wouldnt be so great. i had a 3g blackberry on sprint the tour and the 8990 on t mobile and i ditched t mobile because edge just [plain sucks its slow and annoying and 3g coverage its just not much with tmobile and att.

Posting Permissions