Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a Palm guy for a long time. I bought the phone the day it came out and have been generally happy with the Pre. A quick story with a little gushing on how great the Pre is:

Yesterday I ended up smashing the Pre under my couch and I broke the screen. A quick call to Sprint gave me the website for Asurion to process my insurance claim - yes I pay $7/month to cover the Pre. I logged onto Asurion's website at about 4:30 yesterday afternoon, and after about 5 minutes I had my claim submitted. I now have a new Pre in hand and am back in action. Here's what reminded me about how great the Pre is:

1. I need to return my broken Pre to Asurion. Because I smashed my screen (it was on, but non-responsive with the radio off), there was no way to wipe my date via the pre or a remote wipe. However, I downloaded WebOS Doctor, which wiped my phone of my data, patches, etc. It's now clean and safe to return to Asurion. WebOS (with WebOS Doctor) is great for major troubleshooting!

2. I submitted my claim at 4:30 p.m. yesterday and had a new (or refurbished, who knows) Pre by noon today. Quick (and free) delivery! Nice job Sprint/Asurion!

3. Once I activated my new Pre, it immediately (after about 3-5 minutes) restored all of my contacts and calendar appointments, restored my email settings and facebook settings, and downloaded/installed all of my apps I had previously installed from the App Store. Palm's automatic backup system made it all fast and easy. When I had a Windows Mobile device, it would take me at about 2 hours to restore all of my apps and settings. The Pre did it mostly automatically and took about 5 minutes!

4. The Pre then notified me that I needed to update to 1.2.1. After I gave the Pre my wireless password, the Pre downloaded and installed the update in just a few more minutes. Fantastic.

Over the years, I've done lots of firmware updates, app reinstalls, fixing email accounts and contacts, etc. It's always been a hassle getting the replacement device properly set up. Palm has done a VERY nice job making these tasks as easy and painless as possible. Most importantly, I remained productive today by getting a new phone fast and getting it setup fast. So now I have time to spend on Precentral.

Great job Palm and Sprint.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Finally some posts about love for the Pre. That is pretty bad ***. I hope I never break my Pre.
    lol..my Pre broke and I was without it for a day and a half...I almost went crazy without it...lol..The Treo 755p was the bomb, but I missed my Preeeee!! lol..*kisses Pre* I love you Pre...lol..
    Wow, that's great to know it'll all be easy to get back if I mess my phone up.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovely_olemiss View Post
    lol..my Pre broke and I was without it for a day and a half...I almost went crazy without it...lol..The Treo 755p was the bomb, but I missed my Preeeee!! lol..*kisses Pre* I love you Pre...lol..
    wow relax now! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    That really makes me wonder why I don't have that insurance.
    Did you have to pay the $100 deductible when you filed your claim?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I paid this once on my Centro, but it was $50, is it $100 now with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I paid this once on my Centro, but it was $50, is it $100 now with the Pre?
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Over the years, I've done lots of firmware updates, app reinstalls, fixing email accounts and contacts, etc. It's always been a hassle getting the replacement device properly set up.
    Not to rain on your parade but I had a Treo 800w and used Sprite backup. It could restore all my apps and settings in much less than the 2 hours you said yours took.

I used NVBackup on my Centro. It took about 20 minutes to fully restore an image - all apps, settings, email, everything.

Palm's backups may work but you just have to trust them. Nowhere can you go and see what's backed up. No files listed anywhere.

While the Pre's backup system may work, it can't compare to the older WinMo or Palm OS backup apps.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    he said it took about 5 minutes not 2 hours...

"When I had a Windows Mobile device, it would take me at about 2 hours to restore all of my apps and settings. The Pre did it mostly automatically and took about 5 minutes!"

for peace of mind seeing all the backed up files maybe it doesn't "compare", but if it works and works faster and completely, then it works and works better, no?... i'm not saying that i know it always will, but from his example it seemed to step up very nicely. if in your case you lose your hd/backup and phone, you have nothing. in this case your new phone can be made whole. i'd say that is a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrhf97 View Post
    he said it took about 5 minutes not 2 hours...

"When I had a Windows Mobile device, it would take me at about 2 hours to restore all of my apps and settings. The Pre did it mostly automatically and took about 5 minutes!"
    I was specifically referring to his WinMo device. I don't know why it took him 2 hours unless he restored everything manually. My point was, there are apps that create image backups very easily, something the Pre currently lacks. You just have to trust that Palm is backing things up, you can't go and view your backups anywhere or restore individual files from backups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lrhf97 View Post
    if in your case you lose your hd/backup and phone, you have nothing.
    Not true. Not only did I backup to a memory card but I did an OTA backup to an FTP site, all done while I was asleep. If my phone got hosed, I could restore an image in a matter of minutes. If my phone was lost or stolen (along with the memory card) I had an app that would remotely wipe all data. I could then buy a new phone and restore an image from my FTP site or the copy on my PC and again, be up and running in minutes.

I'm sure the Pre will get there one day but the older OS's have much better backup/restore capabilities.
  13.    #13  
    Asurion put the $100 charge on my Sprint bill. I'll have to pay it next month.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Not to rain on your parade but I had a Treo 800w and used Sprite backup. It could restore all my apps and settings in much less than the 2 hours you said yours took.

I used NVBackup on my Centro. It took about 20 minutes to fully restore an image - all apps, settings, email, everything.

Palm's backups may work but you just have to trust them. Nowhere can you go and see what's backed up. No files listed anywhere.

While the Pre's backup system may work, it can't compare to the older WinMo or Palm OS backup apps.
    When I was restoring my settings, it was usually after adding a new cooked ROM. I couldn't do a straight restore because the backed up registry and other settings would mess up the cooked files. I understand if I were doing a straight backup/restore it would have been much easier. The difference with the Pre is that I didn't even need to hook the thing up to my computer. It did the whole restore on its own - impossible with older devices (if the phone was lost or stolen) and their reliance on the Palm desktop.

With the Pre, who cares if you can't go somewhere to see the backed up files? The data which is important to me is still on the cloud: Calendar (google), email (gmail), tasks (remember the milk), memos (evernote). What data are you relying on Palm to back up? The Pre works best with the cloud - so use it to your full advantage.
    Asurion put the $100 charge on my Sprint bill. I'll have to pay it next month.
    Could you do me a huge favor? I just want to get an idea if you have a refurb or not. Could you open your dialer, type in ##786# and look for the "Warranty Date Code"? Would like to see if you have a pretty recent model because I'm thinking about going the same route as you.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Nice to know that once I receive my Pre it will be easy to back-up. For some reason I never have been a huge fan of WM backup for some reason.
  17.    #17  
    Could you do me a huge favor? I just want to get an idea if you have a refurb or not. Could you open your dialer, type in ##786# and look for the "Warranty Date Code"? Would like to see if you have a pretty recent model because I'm thinking about going the same route as you.
    Yes refurb. Warranty Date Code is 7/8/09.
    Yes refurb. Warranty Date Code is 7/8/09.
    Okay, thanks. How is the battery life?
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 11/04/2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Sorry!! I did miss my phone tho!! lol..I find myself adding MORE stuff to it than was on the first one..lol..I'm about to try and take this Pre to another level! lol
    The difference with the Pre is that I didn't even need to hook the thing up to my computer. It did the whole restore on its own - impossible with older devices (if the phone was lost or stolen) and their reliance on the Palm desktop.
    Not true. I used NVBackup on my Centro. I could restore an image OTA (over the air) from an FTP site, I didn't have to go anywhere near a computer. I never used the Palm desktop, didn't care for it.

All the apps I had, their license info, etc was all backed up and restored very easily. I could hard reset the Centro to restore it to factory specs and then download and restore a backed up image over the air and everything would be exactly like it was at the time of backup.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast