Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Okay, thanks. How is the battery life?
    A brand new battery came with the replacement Pre. So now I have a spare battery.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Not true. I used NVBackup on my Centro. I could restore an image OTA (over the air) from an FTP site, I didn't have to go anywhere near a computer. I never used the Palm desktop, didn't care for it.

All the apps I had, their license info, etc was all backed up and restored very easily. I could hard reset the Centro to restore it to factory specs and then download and restore a backed up image over the air and everything would be exactly like it was at the time of backup.
    That's cool. I didn't know you could do that at the time.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    A brand new battery came with the replacement Pre. So now I have a spare battery.
    Sweet!
    Mine arrived today, I'm so excited to get home! I don't mind a little oreo, I just hope it does not have dead pixels and/or yellow blotches that my current one has. Does yours have the silver button or the pearl-colored button, heberman? My current one has a pearl, I hope I get a silver, as it looks much more polished IMO.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I walked into a Sprint store for a USB charger - which the salesman didn't find hanging on the rack. He said "let me check in the back". He came back out and handed me one and said "Here, take this one." Free. Then I thought while I was there I'd have him look at my Pre to see why the Camera app wouldn't open. He took it to the back and after a few minutes came out with my Pre and a new Pre in the box and said "we'll swap them out". I got a brand new Pre at no cost. I said "here's the charger that you gave me". He said "keep it". After loading my profile, I was out the door with a new Pre and an extra USB charger - and this Pre DOESN'T have the "oreo effect"!!!
    Following up on my earlier post, I received a brand new Pre, literally!!! The date is 10-15-09 and was in new packaging, yellow box, all manuals, charger, wrapped, everything! I couldn't be happier!! :-)
    Not true. I used NVBackup on my Centro. I could restore an image OTA (over the air) from an FTP site, I didn't have to go anywhere near a computer. I never used the Palm desktop, didn't care for it.

All the apps I had, their license info, etc was all backed up and restored very easily. I could hard reset the Centro to restore it to factory specs and then download and restore a backed up image over the air and everything would be exactly like it was at the time of backup.
    So what you are saying..if I get this correct is that Pre's backup system is behind the times because you don't have to buy an app, you don't have to manually do a backup, and don't have to back it up to a device? So a better backup system is to buy an app, make an image, upload that image to an FTP site, and re-download that image once you need it. As for the Pre.. well.. guess you have to do it the primitive way and type in a password. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    So what you are saying..if I get this correct
    No, you didn't get it correct, not even close. Most of my apps are homebrew apps, the Pre doesn't back them up at all. The whole point of having an image backup is to avoid having to reload everything manually.

NVBackup for my Centro was free, I didn't have to buy it and I didn't have to do manual backups. It all happened automatically while I was sleeping. I could store multiple backups and restore any one that I wanted. If my Pre starts acting flaky, I'd have to start removing apps one by one or WebOS doctor it and then add them until I figured out what caused the problem. With NVBackup, I could simply restore a known good image from a day, week or month earlier, and I could do this in a matter of minutes.

Sorry but "the cloud" hasn't proven it's reliability to me. I've read a bunch of posts where people got a replacement Pre and attempted to restore their data only to get JACK SQUAT restored. At least with my Centro, I had multiple backups that I could actually see and either do a full restore or just individual files or apps.
    No, you didn't get it correct, not even close. Most of my apps are homebrew apps, the Pre doesn't back them up at all. The whole point of having an image backup is to avoid having to reload everything manually.

NVBackup for my Centro was free, I didn't have to buy it and I didn't have to do manual backups. It all happened automatically while I was sleeping. I could store multiple backups and restore any one that I wanted. If my Pre starts acting flaky, I'd have to start removing apps one by one or WebOS doctor it and then add them until I figured out what caused the problem. With NVBackup, I could simply restore a known good image from a day, week or month earlier, and I could do this in a matter of minutes.

Sorry but "the cloud" hasn't proven it's reliability to me. I've read a bunch of posts where people got a replacement Pre and attempted to restore their data only to get JACK SQUAT restored. At least with my Centro, I had multiple backups that I could actually see and either do a full restore or just individual files or apps.
    One major point you've skipped about NVBackup is that it took about 10years to come out for the Treo/Centro, and then a couple of more to become the endproduct that you were using on the Centro.
    I mostly agree on this, however, for as good as the backup is, the things that it doesn't do are frustratingly annoying.

Examples off the top of my head, launcher layout, quick launch setup, linked contacts, and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

I personally am one of those who is completely fine with the cloud. I don't mind at all that it only stores my Google login and then redownloads contacts and calendar entries separately for example. But the things I mentioned are all settings on my device that I lose that should be propagated over from the backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    One major point you've skipped about NVBackup is that it took about 10years to come out for the Treo/Centro,
    That doesn't mean that development took that long. I have confidence that someone will develop something similar for WebOS within a year, providing that it (and Palm) survives that long.

Of course that's also assuming there will be enough of a demand for a backup app.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I mostly agree on this, however, for as good as the backup is, the things that it doesn't do are frustratingly annoying.

Examples off the top of my head, launcher layout, quick launch setup, linked contacts, and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.
    What about browser bookmarks? Was that supposedly fixed in the last update?
    What about browser bookmarks? Was that supposedly fixed in the last update?
    That was fixed in the last update, yes. At least, it worked for me going from the leaked version to the final version, I still had my bookmarks after webOS Doctoring.
    That doesn't mean that development took that long. I have confidence that someone will develop something similar for WebOS within a year, providing that it (and Palm) survives that long.

Of course that's also assuming there will be enough of a demand for a backup app.
    Ahhh, now I understand where you're coming from. Frankly, I thought this was another "Palm fail" post.

I suspect you're right. I belive we'll see something much more robust than what we've got now. RSERVER is beginning to look promising, but obviously will need to be more "user friendly" before it's widely accepted.
    If my Pre starts acting flaky, I'd have to start removing apps one by one or WebOS doctor it and then add them until I figured out what caused the problem.
    I think that's half the reason that Palm didn't want to back up EVERYTHING. They knew that since their entire platform wasn't exactly "prime time", it'd be best for early adopters to start from scratch and avoid the "flake" that you're referring to. Every robust system must be reinstalled after a certain amount of time of bugs introduced from several steps of application & system versions, but it just so happens that WebOS will probly need to be reinstalled more often than most others at the moment. It's really not ready for Grandma yet. You've gotta understand that being an early adopter means you've gotta get your hands dirty.

Palm's decision to release things half-baked is definitely different from the way Apple chose to do things. Apple clearly did things so that expectations were always met. They said "no 3rd party apps!" so people couldn't get mad at them when there weren't any apps. Then they released the full SDK, so everybody's happy.

Palm had to just throw whatever they could together so that the devs could start throwing the basics together. Nothing incredibly profound has been released yet, but it's better than waiting another year. By the time Palm's full SDK is released, the devs who tackled all the basic apps, tweaks, & patches will be able to move onto the advanced stuff. Palm did exactly what they needed to do.
    P.S. - It looks like there's a couple WebOS tools to backup locally that are about to be released. Here's one that I'll probly look into...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2019181

Looks pretty sweet to me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12