Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    to quote from palm and the developers who they recently hired

"On ease of use, multitasking has been great; UI latency is still an issue even though the hardware is comparable to 3GS. The problem is the path to the GPU didn’t exist, but now with CSS transforms, that will be solved in the immediate future."

soooo very very excited

which means i will likely be dissapointed

but hey, anticipation is half the fun right, right!? (tear rolls down cheek)
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I wont be excited until they address the battery issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkjg24 View Post
    I wont be excited until they address the battery issues.
    actually, I read your mind, turns out you WILL be excited if the UI speeds up.

to thine own self be true.
    There are four lights.
    Question is, what does "immediate future" mean? Someone in another thread postulated that Palm will need to do something to seriously increase the UI responsiveness, given that the Pixi release is imminent and the Pixi sports a slower processor. While I wouldn't really hold my breath, it would be great to see this in 1.3.1.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    this is indeed GREAT news.
    From what it sounds like, hopefully the reason we've had some would say little increase in performance through these latest updates, is not that palm just is slow on the get-go, but more because they've been hard at work getting the GPU up to speed, and hopefully flash soon after.
    This can't be good. Reason I say this is because now Palm is not going to meet the expectation of the haters.

This is how the story goes...
    1) Public demands a statement from company X on feature X, company doesn't respond to public, is hated.
    2) Public demands a statement, company provides a vague statement, public misinterprets statement and assumes the product will print money, is hated when it doesn't.

My point is that there are going to many that are disappointed no matter how fast the update makes the Pre. The truth is that the Pre is not going to be as fast as the single-tasking Iphone, but the users will assume it will be.

My words are going to reach a small audience but I hope we'll understand that, speed-wise, its being compared to the Iphone that doesn't multitask and had about a 2 year jump start on optimization.

I know this is a somewhat bad comparison, but look at game systems. The hardware doesn't change but the graphics are drastically different at the beginning and end of its life cycle. WebOS is in its infancy...
    Well... idk, the iPhone to me is only slightly faster, it's snappier but not exactly what I'd consider faster...
    From the article..

'The problem is the path to the GPU didnít exist, but now with CSS transforms, that will be solved in the immediate future'

Can someone explain how CSS transforms will make the pre go faster.

Thanks,

Gx
    Last edited by Griffinx; 11/04/2009 at 10:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well... idk, the iPhone to me is only slightly faster, it's snappier but not exactly what I'd consider faster...
    Good point. The Pre is fast but just lags at times. I guess I got a little trigger happy due to the constant Iphone comparisons.

Now lets get those GPU drivers developed...
    Everyone always says the next update will make it faster and the ppl who get it "accidentally" always say, "whoa- it's so much faster now" and then it just remains the same or gets slower.... so i'll believe it when I see it. < < Run-on sentence. Sorry to all the English teachers out there!
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Lol. I hate these comments that bash anyone who has a cent of hope that their phone might get better. What happened to people being excited about new updates instead of just "Its gonna suck" "Its gonna do nothing" "People are going to say its faster but it's not". Jesus, that's enough.
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    I trust palm in this one. I really have no reason not to. They have brought us speedy updates within months, even weeks and have delivered on what they promised. If they say they are going to make improvements to the OS and it's speed soon then they will. The Iphone is the Iphone and we need to stop comparing the pre to it and compare the pre with itself... That's really all we can focus on right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    From the article..

'The problem is the path to the GPU didnít exist, but now with CSS transforms, that will be solved in the immediate future'

Can someone explain how CSS transforms will make the pre go faster.

Thanks,

Gx
    CSS transforms in browsers are hardware accelerated. Palm either made their browser (in this case, pretty much their whole OS) work with CSS transforms, or they actually coded up a driver so that the CSS transforms are now hardware accelerated.

Either way, GREAT NEWS!
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    alex.dobeck is right. I owned an iPhone 3G for over a year prior to getting a Pre. iPhone 3G and Pre are pretty comparable in terms of speed. They both have their sluggish moments.

The 3GS is a faster processor so it's snappier compared to the 3G or 2G and of course the Pre. Pre and 3GS has pretty similar CPU's in terms of speed too so this is obviously a software limitation.

I'm confident once Palm takes advantage of the GPU in the Pre to offload some of the work, the Pre will be blazing fast! Considering all it does right now in terms of multitasking, I think it's impressively fast.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    The GPU drivers are already developed, being that webOS is able to output any graphics at all. What it sounds like here is the UI sluggishness is from all the animations not using CSS transforms, so there is no direct access to the GPU when performing these animations.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    CSS transforms in browsers are hardware accelerated. Palm either made their browser (in this case, pretty much their whole OS) work with CSS transforms, or they actually coded up a driver so that the CSS transforms are now hardware accelerated.

Either way, GREAT NEWS!
    If I'm not mistaken (and boy, I could be with this topic), CSS transforms are a function already built into WebKit (the "nightly builds," whatever the heck those are; Google is my friend). So, all Palm has to do is turn them on. Someone more knowledgeable than me can maybe comment on how the GPU is supported here--e.g., is it just baked into the system by virtual of the entire system (UI) being built with WebKit?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The GPU drivers are already developed, being that webOS is able to output any graphics at all. What it sounds like here is the UI sluggishness is from all the animations not using CSS transforms, so there is no direct access to the GPU when performing these animations.
    Actually, the graphics are handles through software, not hardware, at the moment. Once the actual GPU drivers are written, the hardware will handle the graphics which leaves more processing room for everything else.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast