Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Hey, I'm a guy that had to live with "Herbie" for years, I'll feel free to jump in the "goofy name" fray anytime I feel like it

I keep telling my four daughters that one of them needs to name a grand-daughter after me. Herberta Wynette would be a cool name, don't you think?
    You do know (of course), that i'm gonna call u Herbie from now on, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    [QUOTE=Eguy;2019191][img]

Eguy, it's 4:30 in morning. You've GOT to have something better to do than look for pics of that damn "love bug"! PLEASE tell me you DO!
    Well, only family and my wife does that. So, you either have to be willing to take me in on a moment's notice, or sleep with me, and I'd have to pass on the latter...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, only family and my wife does that. So, you either have to be willing to take me in on a moment's notice, or sleep with me, and I'd have to pass on the latter...
    Great. Now I'll have a Herbie AND a Franka in my life.
    Oh wait! I'm NOT sleeping w/you (nor doing ANYTHING ELSE with, for that matter ), and i KNOW i'm not taking in anybody with a worse name than my wife ....... Ok, breathing normally again. Whew!
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/06/2009 at 04:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    First of all, I'm not your bro. Second do research before you open your mouth. iPhone 3GS has an 833mhz CPU underclocked to 600MHz. Palm Pre has a 600Mhz CPU underclocked to 500Mhz... Now watch this 500<600...
    Your pure rudeness earned you nothing. Whats even better is the fact the Pre and 3GS use the same ARM Cortex A8 processor according to just about every site. So please tell me how ones better since they are the same?

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3587

It also does state in that article the Palm Pre uses the same one. So saying the 3GS is a 833mhz processor underclocked to 600mhz and then saying Pre has a 600Mhz CPU underclocked to 500Mhz, would make no sense considering they have the same exact processor core. So both would be at 833mhz under clocked to 600mhz and 500mhz. The cores are the same, plain as day.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/sho...spx?i=3579&p=2
    Yet another part saying the 3GS and Pre use the same.

GPU is also the same according to this website, and about 5 others I looked at. So I did my research, and have way before the Pre and 3GS ever dropped.

Now I do realize the Pre was underclocked to 500mhz, still they sport the exact same Processor and GPU so no reason the Pre can't be the same. Palm's idea to underclock this is to 500mhz instead of 600mhz is beyond me. Every site I read and even ARM's shows the A8 has a native speed of 833mhz.

Here is another, claiming both phones use the same and both are clocked at 600mhz. So honestly from what I heard was Palm was going to up to 600mhz with an update.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/palm-pre-vs-iphone.html
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rvr_chips.html

Heres another site claiming the Pre at 600mhz.
    http://lowendmac.com/inews/09inews/0612.html#6

ARM's site of this core.. Saying it's capable between 600mhz and 1ghz max. So why did Palm under clock to 500mhz? Mystery but it shouldn't be.
    http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM_Cortex-A8.html
    Last edited by splmonster; 11/06/2009 at 05:16 AM.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    [QUOTE=splmonster ...............
    Looks like we're back on track.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/06/2009 at 05:25 AM.
    I remember reading somewhere that the Pre's GPU can't do 720p but the iPhone 3gs can. not that that is a biggie really considering it's a mobile phone.
    your quoting a site that was published back in June when 3GS news was coming out. Since then there have been sites that have opened and torn down these units to give more specifics of the hardware... being able to see EXACTLY what chip is being used and being able to check the exact specs of the Samsung. Yes, we all know they both use a Cortex A8 but if you look into them, there are different variants.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...e-iphone-3g-s/

over time more info eventually comes out too like the GPU being different where the 3GS is using a slightly different variant and is faster than the Pre's

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-pres-gpu.html

It's been mentioned before here in the past with links also and if you really want to find it on the interweb you can. If you want to hold on to old info then thats your choice too.

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    It also does state in that article the Palm Pre uses the same one. So saying the 3GS is a 833mhz processor underclocked to 600mhz and then saying Pre has a 600Mhz CPU underclocked to 500Mhz, would make no sense considering they have the same exact processor core. So both would be at 833mhz under clocked to 600mhz and 500mhz. The cores are the same, plain as day.
    Last edited by donm527; 11/06/2009 at 05:37 AM.
    The most likely reason that the Pre is running at 500 Mhz... battery life and possibly heat.
    [QUOTE=dbd;2019201]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    [img]

Eguy, it's 4:30 in morning. You've GOT to have something better to do than look for pics of that damn "love bug"! PLEASE tell me you DO!
    Nah, I don't live in the ghetto (yeah, I went there), it was 1:20 for me
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Oh wait! I'm NOT sleeping w/you (nor doing ANYTHING ELSE with, for that matter ), and i KNOW i'm not taking in anybody with a worse name than my wife ....... Ok, breathing normally again. Whew!
    Franka my dear, I don't givadam.

(OK, it was a stretch, but I've been waiting for that opportunity...)
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Your pure rudeness earned you nothing. Whats even better is the fact the Pre and 3GS use the same ARM Cortex A8 processor according to just about every site. So please tell me how ones better since they are the same?

AnandTech: iPhone 3GS Performance: A Significant Performance Bump

AnandTech: The iPhone 3GS Hardware Exposed & Analyzed
    Yet another part saying the 3GS and Pre use the same.

GPU is also the same according to this website, and about 5 others I looked at. So I did my research, and have way before the Pre and 3GS ever dropped.

Now I do realize the Pre was underclocked to 500mhz, still they sport the exact same Processor and GPU so no reason the Pre can't be the same. Palm's idea to underclock this is to 500mhz instead of 600mhz is beyond me. Every site I read and even ARM's shows the A8 has a native speed of 833mhz.

Here is another, claiming both phones use the same and both are clocked at 600mhz. So honestly from what I heard was Palm was going to up to 600mhz with an update.
    Palm Pre vs iPhone
    AppleInsider | A closer look at iPhone 3G S Cortex-A8 ARM and PowerVR chips

Heres another site claiming the Pre at 600mhz.
    iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre Teardowns, AutoStitch Panoramas on iPhone, Big Ben App, and More

ARM's site of this core.. Saying it's capable between 600mhz and 1ghz max. So why did Palm under clock to 500mhz? Mystery but it shouldn't be.
    ARM Cortex-A8 - ARM Processor
    The GPU is different. They are both PowerVR SGX GPUs but they 3GS has the SGX 535 and the Pre has the SGX 530. Same family, different model.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    [QUOTE=Eguy;2020190]

Nah, I don't live in the ghetto (yeah, I went there), it was 1:20 for me
    Oh. My bad. So ur on the left coast.
    Heh.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/06/2009 at 07:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Does the Pixi have this GPU chipset installed? I thought I read it does not contain this chipset?

If that is the case only the Pre will be able to get the speed advantage and not the Pixi?

Rob
    The Pixi runs the Adreno 200 apparently, the same GPU found in the Nexus One, Evo and Droid Incredible.
    Can somebody say ZOMBIE ALERT!!!!!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456