Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Well, if you should've quoted the right poster (check your post, you quoted DesertSilver), which was dbd all along.

Here, let me help ya:
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Where did you read the 3GS had a faster processor? They are sportin the exact same one bro. Check it out
    The 3GS uses a Samsung S5PC100 processor. The Pre uses a Texas Instruments OMAP 3430 processor.

Other than the fact that both use Cortex A8 technology licensed from ARM, these are very different beasts, bro. The 3GS pumps, like, twice the polygons, bra. 2x > 1x.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I came in here to pretty much say this....I honestly feel Palm has done things smart. Palm had to get the PRE out at the time it did(June) regardless of how finished it was or not.

Palm needed to get out before the 3GS, where alot of Iphone holders contracts were up at that time. Get the product out, then do updates to get it comparably up to speed with the new 3GS.

Now fast forward you have a new Droid phone out there.....Palm could not waited until now to get the PRE out with a more polished GUI...or it never would have been able to succeed like it has.

Sure many want to complain that we have been Beta Testers....but to me, I can careless, I love the phone, and I am patient enough to see where it goes. Sounds like doing the CSS transformation is opening the door to the GUI being completely stable and more wide open like a Linux based phone should be. And to me, it seems boosting the speed is surely going to help and maybe even make Flash flourish when it is finally implemented on the PRE.

It seems like Flash is going to be the key player in the smart phone wars....and the OS/Phone that runs it the best and most stable, is going to have a huge advantage in the beginning. But correct me if I am wrong in thinking that.
    now its just a thought!!! but palm knew that flash will be comming GUI is on standby till flash comes!!!!! then unlocking many possibilities,,,uhmmmm like speed, unlock the memo recorder, and all that great stuff, and i know its small, but i just wish my phone can tell me who's bday is it today, a reminder you know,,,but thats just me
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny88RiCaN View Post
    I trust palm in this one. I really have no reason not to. They have brought us speedy updates within months, even weeks and have delivered on what they promised. If they say they are going to make improvements to the OS and it's speed soon then they will. The Iphone is the Iphone and we need to stop comparing the pre to it and compare the pre with itself... That's really all we can focus on right now.

Totally agree with you!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    for the record for tcub no the iphone 3Gs has a slower processor you know your facts:

Processing Power:

The iPhone 3G has the ARM-11 based architecture from Samsung, and currently runs at 400MHz.

This is one area where the Palm Pre’s processing power packs a punch. Palm Pre will be one of the first smartphones to have a ARM Cortex Processor running at 600 MHz.

the iphone 3GS using the ARM-11 a older chipset still which can overclock to only 600 MHz the Pre like---

the new nokia maemo:

Processor and 3D accelerator

TI OMAP 3430: ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX with OpenGL ES 2.0 support

(palm has the same exact processor and chipset)

is clocked at 1GHz and underclocked to 600MHz and if you notice the reason why without implementing the GPU completely it still performs just as fast as the iphone 3GS these are the real facts even google the specs if you like a iphone OS is outdated as well as its chipset and processors and I have been working with OS's for over a decade because I am a programmer
    3GS: Samsung S5PC100 ARM Cortex-A8
    833 MHz underclocked to 600 MHz
    PowerVR SGX GPU

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Iancarr27 View Post
    for the record for tcub no the iphone 3Gs has a slower processor you know your facts:

Processing Power:

The iPhone 3G has the ARM-11 based architecture from Samsung, and currently runs at 400MHz.

This is one area where the Palm Pre’s processing power packs a punch. Palm Pre will be one of the first smartphones to have a ARM Cortex Processor running at 600 MHz.

the iphone 3GS using the ARM-11 a older chipset still which can overclock to only 600 MHz the Pre like---

the new nokia maemo:

Processor and 3D accelerator

TI OMAP 3430: ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX with OpenGL ES 2.0 support

(palm has the same exact processor and chipset)

is clocked at 1GHz and underclocked to 600MHz and if you notice the reason why without implementing the GPU completely it still performs just as fast as the iphone 3GS these are the real facts even google the specs if you like a iphone OS is outdated as well as its chipset and processors and I have been working with OS's for over a decade because I am a programmer
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Processing Power:

The 3G was the one that uses ARM-11. The iPhone 3GS uses ARM Cortex A8, Not ARM-11.

Apple iPhone 3G tear-down details chipset components

iPhone 3GS gets the quick and dirty tear apart treatment, already (update: could do 833MHz and 720p video)

I have been working with OS's for over a decade because I am a programmer

And I've been working with OS's for over 3 decades if you are looking to measure d**ks. That has little to do with the hardware that is in the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    right no one was talking about the hardware homie watch your lip Im no boy believe that so dont talk slick understand that.

pre, nokia maemo, droid

OMAP3430 - 600 MHz-1 GHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

iphone 3Gs-833 MHz (underclocked to 600 MHz) ARM Cortex-A8[4][7]
    Samsung S5PC100

so the pre can be clocked to 1ghz total yes both are running at 600MHz but the TI OMAP 3430 has smartreflex interegrated:

As TI integrates SmartReflex technologies into custom and standard devices at the 90-, 65-, 45-nm process nodes and below, the results can be dramatic. For example, the SmartReflex technologies integrated into the OMAP3430 reduced active power consumption by 66 percent and standby power leakage by up to three orders of magnitude, while enhancing the performance of this multi-core device.

which enabled can be clocked to 983 MHz as opposed to 32KB/32KB I/D Cache
    667/833MHz on the Samsung S5PC100 in the Iphone 3Gs
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Well.
    these are the real facts even google the specs if you like a iphone OS is outdated as well as its chipset and processors and I have been working with OS's for over a decade because I am a programmer
    Wow. You're copying-pasting random sentences and confusing terms without any understanding what it all means. I pity whoever has to maintain your code.

As for the real discussion, the one article on the frontpage mentioned that CSS-transforms were a bit wonky in Webkit 3. I know some devs have asked for a more recent version of Webkit (one that fully supports canvas), so it might take a Webkit upgrade before we get full CSS-transform goodness. Weather they can upgrade Webkit, turn on the GPU, and switch over to CSS-transforms in one update is anyone's guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    right no one was talking about the hardware homie watch your lip Im no boy believe that so dont talk slick understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    have you guys every thought about they wanted to bring the pre out as fast as the can knowing that they will get someone later to get the gui up and running. Thats an idea what u guys think? why else would they have the gui just sitting there and not being used,hint (its not to make the phone heavier),,,,lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    now its just a thought!!! but palm knew that flash will be comming GUI is on standby till flash comes!!!!! then unlocking many possibilities,,,uhmmmm like speed, unlock the memo recorder, and all that great stuff, and i know its small, but i just wish my phone can tell me who's bday is it today, a reminder you know,,,but thats just me
    What the Hell are you talking about? What Gui?

Are you talking about the GPU?

GUI = graphic user interface

GPU = graphic processing unit

Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    What the Hell are you talking about? What Gui?

Are you talking about the GPU?

GUI = graphic user interface

GPU = graphic processing unit

hahaha

(I only hit "Thanks" because I almost peed my pants from laughing, and I'm not sure why"
    I think people are reading too much into what Dion said. He only said the ability to use CSS transitions will be there...for developers. He didn't say Mojo has already been updated to use them instead of plain DHTML.

I'd love for it to be true and out next week but it's just not what was said. I am hopeful about Dion and Ben's work at Palm but it will take time to reach users.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I think people are reading too much into what Dion said. He only said the ability to use CSS transitions will be there...for developers. He didn't say Mojo has already been updated to use them instead of plain DHTML.

I'd love for it to be true and out next week but it's just not what was said. I am hopeful about Dion and Ben's work at Palm but it will take time to reach users.
    I'm too lazy to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure he used the word "imminent". "Nest week" might be a bit optimistic, but I don't think what he's talking about is far off.
    Trust me, the OMAP 3430 won't go anywhere near 1GHz. The reason why the Pre, Maemo, and Droid aren't even clocked at 600MHz is because of thermal management issues with this processor. When it is clocked at 600MHz, it has a five month average lifespan.

Newer steppings of this silicon are better able to handle higher clocks. The 3430 isn't.
    Um, LOL?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm too lazy to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure he used the word "imminent". "Nest week" might be a bit optimistic, but I don't think what he's talking about is far off.
    He said "immediate future." Which is, of course, very vague. Could mean tomorrow, could mean next week, could mean next month. Hell, could mean next year.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Another nice tid bit of information about the Cortex A8, is that when comparing it to the older ARM11 chips, it's like comparing a 486 to a Pentium. Clock for clock the A8 is tons faster than the ARM11 chips. Maybe some of you remember how much faster a Pentium 100Mhz was compared to the 486 DX4 100mhz. (Our younger audience might not remember this.)

This is why Samsung clocked their Moment to 800mhz, so it can keep up with the A8 running at 500mhz.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    He said "immediate future." Which is, of course, very vague. Could mean tomorrow, could mean next week, could mean next month. Hell, could mean next year.
    I stand corrected. I think we can agree that, especially in light of the regular silence from Palm folk, I'd guess that "immediate future" is probably very soon.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast