Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, I think if you read a little closer, he was hating on the haters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    say what?? i was talking to that dbd guy hating on the pre's update already and its not even released yet lol
    Oh, maybe my points did come across.
    Great news! I hope it comes out on next update!
    whatever the case ? dont be hatein lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'm excited about hearing this today... it's one of the key things Palm can take the Pre to the next level with. Because this is only the 1st step to making the Pre "iPhone comparable" to the Apple *******. (I say 1st step, because this will lead to webOS using the GPU to render graphics and power apps while the CPU powers the phone, and the main processes)
    I threw up in my mouth a little bit, please no more BO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    What he is saying is that generic drivers ARE in place for the GPU, since it had to push pixels to the screen. The problem is, the CPU is doing the math to figure out where to position those pixels on the screen, and not the GPU. The GPU does have drivers, but javascript can't communicate to those drivers.
    That's not how the OMAP3450 is architected. The CPU can directly address the frame buffer - the GPU is optional, as far as video rendering is concerned.

My best guess is that the GPU is turned off entirely to save power in the present WebOS build.

You're correct that OMAP GPU drivers exist under Linux. The work involved is allowing other software - especially software that isn't programmed to bare metal - to access these drivers. Abstraction layers like OpenGL or WebGL are required, and this is an enormous effort.

Enabling Webkit to "talk" to the GPU under limited circumstances (CSS Transformations) would be a much more manageable, incremental step towards platform-wide GPU integration.
    have you guys every thought about they wanted to bring the pre out as fast as the can knowing that they will get someone later to get the gui up and running. Thats an idea what u guys think? why else would they have the gui just sitting there and not being used,hint (its not to make the phone heavier),,,,lol
    Does the Pixi have this GPU chipset installed? I thought I read it does not contain this chipset?

If that is the case only the Pre will be able to get the speed advantage and not the Pixi?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Does the Pixi have this GPU chipset installed? I thought I read it does not contain this chipset?

If that is the case only the Pre will be able to get the speed advantage and not the Pixi?

Rob
    The Pixi doesn't use the same chipset as the Pre, but it does have a dedicated GPU. I'm assuming that whatever Palm does for the Pre will also work for the Pixi--otherwise, they'd have two separate WebOS builds, which I don't think is the objective.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    My point was that when Palm states they are going to make the Pre faster, I'm predicting the forum members to end up having the assumption that the thing will perform as if it has a miniature Pentium Quad-core processor magically implanted into it over the airwaves.
    well, I expect my Pre to perform comparable to my desktop within the year - why else do I keep downloading these updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    That's not how the OMAP3450 is architected. The CPU can directly address the frame buffer - the GPU is optional, as far as video rendering is concerned.

My best guess is that the GPU is turned off entirely to save power in the present WebOS build.

You're correct that OMAP GPU drivers exist under Linux. The work involved is allowing other software - especially software that isn't programmed to bare metal - to access these drivers. Abstraction layers like OpenGL or WebGL are required, and this is an enormous effort.

Enabling Webkit to "talk" to the GPU under limited circumstances (CSS Transformations) would be a much more manageable, incremental step towards platform-wide GPU integration.
    Thanks. I was under the assumption the only way to the frame buffer was through the GPU. Good to know the Linux driver is there.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    alex.dobeck is right. I owned an iPhone 3G for over a year prior to getting a Pre. iPhone 3G and Pre are pretty comparable in terms of speed. They both have their sluggish moments.

The 3GS is a faster processor so it's snappier compared to the 3G or 2G and of course the Pre. Pre and 3GS has pretty similar CPU's in terms of speed too so this is obviously a software limitation.

I'm confident once Palm takes advantage of the GPU in the Pre to offload some of the work, the Pre will be blazing fast! Considering all it does right now in terms of multitasking, I think it's impressively fast.
    Where did you read the 3GS had a faster processor? They are sportin the exact same one bro. Check it out
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Couple of points to make.

1) CSS transforms are already available in the webOS browser. You can test this yourself. The transforms are most likely not hardware accelerated at this time. Also keep in mind that the webkit build that Palm uses is fairly old (equivalent of Safari 3.2.1 or so) so the latest webkit has a lot enhancements that would be good for a javascript heavy environment, new JIT, native json etc.

2) I had emailed Imagination Tech, makers of the PowerVR, which is the GPU for the Pre about the lack of ARM libraries for OpenGL in their SDK. I just got a reply from them saying that the libraries will have to be provided by Palm so no dice there except to wait to see if Palm will release said libraries. Obviously, releasing the libs is just half of the equation, they would have to interface with LunaSysMgr in order to be useful.

One alternative would be to see if someone can pull the OpenGL libraries off of a Nokia N900 given the identical hardware between the devices (OMAP 3430). However, the legality of this will be questionable since it is not clear to me if the OpenGL libs are open source licensed.

Just my $0.02
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
  14. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Is it not fair to assume also that by offloading some of the workload from the CPU to the GPU, thus lowering the throttling on the device, that battery life will also get an improvement at the same time, as the CPU has to do less (and the more efficient GPU is doing the graphics work)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    have you guys every thought about they wanted to bring the pre out as fast as the can knowing that they will get someone later to get the gui up and running. Thats an idea what u guys think? why else would they have the gui just sitting there and not being used,hint (its not to make the phone heavier),,,,lol

I came in here to pretty much say this....I honestly feel Palm has done things smart. Palm had to get the PRE out at the time it did(June) regardless of how finished it was or not.

Palm needed to get out before the 3GS, where alot of Iphone holders contracts were up at that time. Get the product out, then do updates to get it comparably up to speed with the new 3GS.

Now fast forward you have a new Droid phone out there.....Palm could not waited until now to get the PRE out with a more polished GUI...or it never would have been able to succeed like it has.

Sure many want to complain that we have been Beta Testers....but to me, I can careless, I love the phone, and I am patient enough to see where it goes. Sounds like doing the CSS transformation is opening the door to the GUI being completely stable and more wide open like a Linux based phone should be. And to me, it seems boosting the speed is surely going to help and maybe even make Flash flourish when it is finally implemented on the PRE.

It seems like Flash is going to be the key player in the smart phone wars....and the OS/Phone that runs it the best and most stable, is going to have a huge advantage in the beginning. But correct me if I am wrong in thinking that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Is it not fair to assume also that by offloading some of the workload from the CPU to the GPU, thus lowering the throttling on the device, that battery life will also get an improvement at the same time, as the CPU has to do less (and the more efficient GPU is doing the graphics work)?
    This should definitely be the case, although how much battery life improvement depends on how much the CPU is being taxed for handling the graphics at the moment.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Where did you read the 3GS had a faster processor? They are sportin the exact same one bro. Check it out
    Actually, according to wikipedia and this thread, http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-pres-gpu.html
    The iphone's GPU is twice as powerful at drawing polygons than the Pre's GPU
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    First of all, I'm not your bro. Second do research before you open your mouth. iPhone 3GS has an 833mhz CPU underclocked to 600MHz. Palm Pre has a 600Mhz CPU underclocked to 500Mhz... Now watch this 500<600...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Well, it doesn't solve the 3D game aspects, because you DO need a layer between javascript and the GPU. Let's hope WebGL fixes that problem. But yeah, CSS transforms should fix the UI sluggishness. The real question though is, why didn't they do this from the start?
    It was a matter of having the Pre out on June 6th or having it out much later (as in Q4'09).

I'm sure the time-to-market aspect played a part in the decision to not have CSS transforms and many other features/tweaks that are slowly being developed via the constant OS updates.

For the record: I'm not complaining, my launch-date Pre is still as good as on the first day (well, better, with all the homebrew tweaks and WebOS updates).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    say what?? i was talking to that dbd guy hating on the pre's update already and its not even released yet lol
    Well, you should've quoted the right poster (check your post, you quoted DesertSilver), which was dbd all along.

Here, let me help ya:

Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Everyone always says the next update will make it faster and the ppl who get it "accidentally" always say, "whoa- it's so much faster now" and then it just remains the same or gets slower.... so i'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 11/04/2009 at 11:54 AM.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast