Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Was reading the front page comments on what you would like to see in the next WebOS phone. And that got me to wondering, can the WebOS software be transferred to a different phone? Now?

Instead of going back to Sprint every other month for a replacement Pre, why can't I put WebOS on one of the phones I already have that I know won't fall apart?

It's a bit of a noob question, but hey, it is an OS, is there any reason why it shouldn't work on something else?

Constructive criticism/discussion please; flames and trolls will be ignored.

Cheers,
    Wes
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    WebOS is coded for Pre's (and Pixi's) hardware. Any change (keyboard, lcd, cpu, gpu, memory, etc) will make it unusable. You'd have to rewrite pages of code. I don't know how many, but it'll be a lot..

Compare it to Windows and OSX. Windows needs millions of drivers for it to work with every PC. OSX only works on Macs and works with just 'a couple' of drivers.
    [QUOTE=ryleyinstl;2014603][IMG]

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspike View Post
    Was reading the front page comments on what you would like to see in the next WebOS phone. And that got me to wondering, can the WebOS software be transferred to a different phone? Now?

Instead of going back to Sprint every other month for a replacement Pre, why can't I put WebOS on one of the phones I already have that I know won't fall apart?

It's a bit of a noob question, but hey, it is an OS, is there any reason why it shouldn't work on something else?

Constructive criticism/discussion please; flames and trolls will be ignored.

Cheers,
    Wes
    YOU ARE RIGHT !!

That IS a noob question.
    The answer is NO - for technical reasons, like the 583JC255639084522558411225254788099gh53365114 modulator adapter module spec sheet flowcharts, for one thing.
    You should have known this!