Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    System Upgrades:
    • Home Screen Customization (Weather / Agenda / Tasks)
    • App Launcher Customization (# of Pages / App Icons per page ) *
    • Notification LED *
    • Visual Voicemail
    • Flash functionality
    • WebGL for games and eventually for rewrite of WebOS 2.0 (any and all animations).

Apps:
    • Calendar needs a lot of optimizations and enhancements
    • Music Player needs serious work with just about everything
    • Text Forwarding
    • Contact List Groupings
    • Voice Recorder
    • Video Recorder
    • Google Maps/Navigation 2.0

* yes i know these are in homebrew, but they need to be in the official release for the common man
    Last edited by wicketr; 11/04/2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    • Speed

Programs take too long to load.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    • Speed

I agree....
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    System Upgrades:
    • Home Screen Customization (Weather / Agenda / Tasks)
    • App Launcher Customization (# of Pages / App Icons per page ) *
    • Notification LED *
    • Flash functionality
    • WebGL for games and eventually for rewrite of WebOS 2.0 (any and all animations).

Apps:
    • Calendar needs a lot of optimizations and enhancements
    • Music Player needs serious work with just about everything
    • Text Forwarding
    • Contact List Groupings
    • Voice Recorder
    • Video Recorder

* yes i know these are in homebrew, but they need to be in the official release for the common man
    +++1,000,000
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    • Speed

Significant Speed improvements will only happen if Palm implements GPU support in the core of WebOS and implements it throughout the operating system, which i mention in my list.
    Significant Speed improvements will only happen if Palm implements GPU support in the core of WebOS and implements it throughout the operating system, which i mention in my list.
    Well not for loading apps, that would be something in the efficiency of the code run through the CPU, but it could look fast if we used the GPU.
    Apps:
    Actually, this is on Google at the moment, the maps app (if you can even call it an app) only loads Google Maps
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well not for loading apps, that would be something in the efficiency of the code run through the CPU, but it could look fast if we used the GPU.
    Well, the CPU is currently having to be used to do the animation, so if the GPU is doing the animation, then it would leave the CPU to work fully on loading the app instead of having to stop pause loading the app to do the animation. This would save at least a second on the typical 4-6 second load time.

They could do some optimizations on the app load portion by leaving shared resources across apps in memory, but I'm not sure how much they could do.
    missing: ability to delete your SMS with the phone jacking up.

if you haven't done it don't try it. thought i would clean out my phone to make it run faster. i didn't know what i was in for.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, this is on Google at the moment, the maps app (if you can even call it an app) only loads Google Maps
    I know about basic maps. I'm talking about this (watch the video): Google adds free turn-by-turn navigation, car dock UI to Android 2.0 (video)
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I know this is a broken record....

On the Web OS side,we need to be able to play .aa files,

On the App side we need to have an Audible.com Player and an AudibleAir app!
    I know about basic maps. I'm talking about this (watch the video): Google adds free turn-by-turn navigation, car dock UI to Android 2.0 (video)
    I was listening to NPR ("Fresh Air") yesterday and they were talking to this guy that wrote a book about Google, and he mentioned that this would only be available for Android. Never for anything else.
  13. Vez
    Ability to change email font, size and color, and to able to use an HTML signature.
    From a busyness guy point of view
    Well, the CPU is currently having to be used to do the animation, so if the GPU is doing the animation, then it would leave the CPU to work fully on loading the app instead of having to stop pause loading the app to do the animation. This would save at least a second on the typical 4-6 second load time.

They could do some optimizations on the app load portion by leaving shared resources across apps in memory, but I'm not sure how much they could do.
    Meh I don't think the animation of it moving everything away and then waiting and then showing a blank page is that cpu intensive. I have a feeling alot of the problem stems from how they allocate memory, since it's designed to multitask, it's probably much better at freeing and assigning memory to open apps than assigning a chuck to a new one, but I may be wrong.

But as far as looking fast, take for example Windows 7 if you've messed with that. Apparently it loads programs a little slower than Vista on average, but if you've compared both you could've swarm Windows 7 was way faster, which stems strongly from the graphics being smoother and there being more of them. Kinda like how slow the Macs are, but apparently no-one notices because of the jumping icon and then the quick motion of everything loading 10-20 seconds after windows would've been done.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwilson View Post
    I was listening to NPR ("Fresh Air") yesterday and they were talking to this guy that wrote a book about Google, and he mentioned that this would only be available for Android. Never for anything else.
    Google is already talking about an iPhone version -- they'd be nuts not to.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

I don't know what Palm needs to do in order to make the speed increase, but the only thing I wish is for it to be more responsive across the board. the competitor phones have a lot less lag for accelorator response, touch response, app opening and even some movement within apps. There's a lot other things to wish for too, but this upgrade alone would make the untouchable in my eyes.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubbx View Post
    I don't know what Palm needs to do in order to make the speed increase, but the only thing I wish is for it to be more responsive across the board. the competitor phones have a lot less lag for accelorator response, touch response, app opening and even some movement within apps. There's a lot other things to wish for too, but this upgrade alone would make the untouchable in my eyes.
    Hopefully this next update (if it has that GPU support) will speed it up all the way around it's being touted. We can only hope.

I'd be shocked if it happened that quick. Those new hires seem to be paying HUGE dividends if true.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    In order:
    1. Docs2Go
    2. NBA App (They got Nascar but no NBA?)
    3. World Cup App
    4. An app or a fix to the current clock to allow the user to see the times in different parts of the world/country.
    5. A better music player, although the remix has my touch collecting dust.
    6. Better "consistent" sync option
    7. A Facebook app (I like friends flow though).
    8. And a fix to the ubiquitous battery issues
    Some of these are coming, but since your asking.
    Video Recording!!!
    Voice Commands
    Docs2Go
    Hardware movement of the cursor (shift/code space and period would do fine for up-down/right left, how about letting doubletaps move it back and forth too. This should not be hard to do)
    Audio Recording
    Use of the GPU: How did this even happen?
    VIDEO RECORDING!
    A better music player (look at the features Remix has implemented)
    ...and last but FAR from least: Make the OS more efficient (faster load times, better battery life: 2 birds, 1 stone)
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    2. NBA App (They got Nascar but no NBA?)
    Sprint sponsors NASCAR and sprint sponsors the NFL. That's why you have those two apps.
    Last edited by ChappyEight; 11/04/2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Grammar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast