Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I recently upgraded to windows 7 and found I had to reinstall the drivers to enable my tether. Unfortunately I couldn't find any comprehensive guides dealing with windows 7, so I figure I'd post how I got it up and running.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a guide for installing My Tether on windows 7. Make sure your Pre has USB Tethering enabled.

1. Connect your pre to your computer via USB cable. Go to "Start Menu", "Control Panel", select "Hardware and Sound", followed by "Device and Printers"

2. Right click on "Pre", select "properties". On the upper tab select "Hardware", followed by "Properties", "Change Settings", "update driver".

3. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer." Then select "Have Disk." Select "Browse" and then find the location for "usbnet-pre.inf"

4. At this point I restarted my PC and set up the internet connection under Network and Sharing center. Worked like a charm.

You can download the driver "usbnet-pre.inf" from this site USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals

Note: At multiple points during this process windows will notify you of security risks of unauthorized drivers. Just click continue anyway.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ok so for some reason when i click the download link i get the program in a "cdm" form how to i get the driver to download....please help this is driving me nuts......
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    keeps telling me the device isnt compatible with the inf file... man i cant win!
    When I go to browse I select the folder it is in and windows keeps saying it was unable to install because it could not find drivers...

When I save the drive file it wants to save it as usbnet-pre.inf.txt no matter what I do. I then manually change it to remove the .txt and make it a inf file.

Anyone with an idea, really want USB tethering because wifi is a pain in the *****.
    bump
    Anyone?
    I recently purchased a laptop at Best Buy and was told that tethering my Pre to access the internet would 1) violate my wireless provider's terms of service, and 2) might possibly damage my phone.

Any truth to either of these claims? Or they just trying to push the Sprint wireless broadband card for laptops?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    it may violate the terms but I don't honestly care. I am paying for unlimited data, why do I have to pay again.

I just want usb tethering as the wifi is a pain with the patch. Just not able to get the patch to work (see above).
    bump honestly guys I really need this to work
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ok so i'm running windows 7 and before the a1.3.5 upgrade it worked just fine then it would't find my connection after the upgrade so after about 5 hrs last night i finally figured it out..so what you need to do is first if you had it working before you upgraded go and uninstall the device driver,then you need to download the 1.3.5 mojo sdk,after you install that go back in and reinstall USBNET-inf(its the same one from before) after that restart your phone plug in usb cable and you should be good to go..
    Quote Originally Posted by htcman724 View Post
    ok so i'm running windows 7 and before the a1.3.5 upgrade it worked just fine then it would't find my connection after the upgrade so after about 5 hrs last night i finally figured it out..so what you need to do is first if you had it working before you upgraded go and uninstall the device driver,then you need to download the 1.3.5 mojo sdk,after you install that go back in and reinstall USBNET-inf(its the same one from before) after that restart your phone plug in usb cable and you should be good to go..

I never got the driver to be seen and then installed in the first place. Does the 1.3.5 mojo sdk contain those drivers then? Where do you download it?

I will have to give it a try then. Does anyone know if the developer of this app is going to fix the issue with the wifi patch making the camera not working? This would honestly be the easiest solution.
    bump
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    go to palmprehacks.com you will fins all the downloads you need there but you have to use internet explorer.if you need more help pm me.
    will i be charged more on my bill if i use this service? And how do i get it to work on a laptop with a wireless card...but i have not loaded the wireless drivers on it yet...if i dont have to then i wont...anybody know?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmac250 View Post
    will i be charged more on my bill if i use this service? And how do i get it to work on a laptop with a wireless card...but i have not loaded the wireless drivers on it yet...if i dont have to then i wont...anybody know?
    As far as I know, there have been no reports of people being charged more for using MyTether. As long as you don't abuse the data usage, Sprint won't care. It is a violation of the ToS though, so they could cancel your account if they wanted to if they find out. Fortunately, it seems Sprint doesn't really care and has not been enforcing it. Just don't torrent all day every day and you will avoid detection.

Wifi tethering is currently in poor shape. The only way to get it working post 1.3.5, is to install a patch that breaks other functionality of the phone (sometimes permanently, requiring WebOS Doctor to fix). The safest and easiest way to tether is via Bluetooth or USB.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Here's what BGR reported about Sprint's data usage policies: Sprint responds to rumors about 5GB “unlimited” data cap « Boy Genius Report
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    As far as I know, there have been no reports of people being charged more for using MyTether. As long as you don't abuse the data usage, Sprint won't care. It is a violation of the ToS though, so they could cancel your account if they wanted to if they find out. Fortunately, it seems Sprint doesn't really care and has not been enforcing it. Just don't torrent all day every day and you will avoid detection.

Wifi tethering is currently in poor shape. The only way to get it working post 1.3.5, is to install a patch that breaks other functionality of the phone (sometimes permanently, requiring WebOS Doctor to fix). The safest and easiest way to tether is via Bluetooth or USB.
    i dont think its that sprint doesnt care, i think its more they have no way of figuring out. to them your just using data on your palm pre. if you start downloading huge files though they may start to wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo_Ben View Post
    Here's what BGR reported about Sprint's data usage policies: Sprint responds to rumors about 5GB “unlimited” data cap « Boy Genius Report
    So by that i would think i'd be ok using this service as long as i dont use that much space....which im sure i wouldnt even get close to...im talking using it on my computer for a train ride to work or something...little surfin around the house etc....

Ok maybe im missing something...but by using this wether i have a wireless card on my laptop i can use my phones internet connection to go online with my laptop from anywhere ?
    i too am i loving my 64bit windows 7 professional. hope everyone got that student discount 2 weeks ago

thank you mytether
    thx