Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    So which apps increase drain on your battery?

    Obviously I can see ones that stream stuff to your handset, like Pandora, when actively streaming, but are there less obvious ones? Does the Pandora type app have a keep-alive type signal communciation going on even if it *isn't* streaming?

    Left alone with no apps open I find my battery life quite acceptable. But occasionally I see it dive FAST, and I suspect it's related to some data app with some sort of keep-alive signal going that I'm not aware of. Anyone know?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    So which apps increase drain on your battery?

    Obviously I can see ones that stream stuff to your handset, like Pandora, when actively streaming, but are there less obvious ones? Does the Pandora type app have a keep-alive type signal communciation going on even if it *isn't* streaming?

    Left alone with no apps open I find my battery life quite acceptable. But occasionally I see it dive FAST, and I suspect it's related to some data app with some sort of keep-alive signal going that I'm not aware of. Anyone know?
    Keeping Pandora paused seems to be more draining than when it's playing.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Keeping Pandora paused seems to be more draining than when it's playing.
    Same. Paused and keeping the card open absolutely Destroys my battery.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny88RiCaN View Post
    Same. Paused and keeping the card open absolutely Destroys my battery.
    Yep.
  5. #5  
    Sprint Nav, Google Maps, Web Browser
  6. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    #6  
    Remember that every app has the option of running in the background and periodically polling for new information. You may have a few apps you don't even use that are updating themselves in the background. My wife and I both noticed significant improvement after deleting AccuWeather. This was long ago so they may have fixed that. Other apps poll for new data when running in the foreground but not when closed so closing them will help. Here's the kicker: unless a developer explicity tells you if/when they are polling for data in/out of the background there is really no way to know.

    My tips to improve battery life:
    - Delete programs you don't/rarely use. If you find you actually need it then download it again (only takes 20 sec or so)
    - Close cards you don't/rarely use. I generally keep all cards closed when my Pre is just riding around in the case. I'll leave open messaging or email if I'm at work or using them a lot.
    - Use WiFi where available. It pulls pages quicker and is often less work for the device.

    On average I'll make it a day and a half on a single charge with reasonable data use. Hope that helps.
  7.    #7  
    Interesting. Yes, Pandora was open and paused. I suspected that.

    GPS is a no brainer. So is active use of 802.11x
  8. #8  
    I've seen this as well. I was thinking what would be great is to have an app/utility that can tell you what's running, polling outside data points, and draining battery and perhaps able to sort in the order of the the battery drain.

    Also, with the notification systems, I've continued to notice that apps like email and Concerts continue to poll for updates even when I've told them not to.
    Waynew73

    (m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!

Posting Permissions