1.    #1  
    Palm's CEO lied about the Pre being available in Europe at the same time as the US. Now I can only get one where I live by ordering from another country, and it will have a German keyboard.

At 7% market share and holding, Palm should be getting the devices to anyone who wants one, not trickling them out.

Have Palm's marketeers thought their release strategy through ? Or don't they care, as long as the Ads look good ? >-(
    With Smartphone Adoption on the Rise, Opportunity for Marketers is Calling | Nielsen Wire

Let's assume the US has 30million smartphone users right now based on the link above.

I'm not buying the palm webOS having 7% marketshare. I'd say it's more like 2.6% marketshare. Factor in palm OS and palm wm devices and it's possible though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Let's assume the US has 30million smartphone users right now based on the link above.

I'm not buying the palm webOS having 7% marketshare. I'd say it's more like 2.6% marketshare. Factor in palm OS and palm wm devices and it's possible though.
    That 7% number is just PALM devices total, not devices (the Pre) running WebOS.
  4.    #4  
    Whether itīs currently 7% or 2.6%, it isnīt going to make it up to a sustainable level if Palm prevents literally Billions of people from buying their devices.

Palm seem not to have learned that the Palm Pilot plan:

1) Produce cool new product.
    2) erm
    3) Sell Millions of them and make Billions in profit !

and the Handpsring plan:

2) erm

and the Treo plan:

2) erm

wonīt work anymore, and much, much more has to be done to get the product in the hand of customers AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.
    palms finances have not been the best recently. Its not exactly free to bring a new phone to market in another country. There is a cost assessment done at some level, and unless their is clear profit to be made it's not unusual to hold off until it makes sense. That and because of their $$$ situation, I am sure manufacturing the phones is on a as close to demand as possible scenario....thus there probably are only a few weeks of product sitting in warehouses...nothing extra to export away from the markets where its approved to sell.......that's my guess anyways!
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 11/03/2009 at 12:42 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    not seeing a palm commercial in months... i saw the crazy girl commercial again watching ace of cakes the other day on food channel.

waste of money because they actually played two crazy girl commercials in the same commercial break period. you'd think they would have at least separated them at different commercial breaks eh?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It's funny.. I'd never seen a Pre in person until after I bought mine (other than a store, etc). Then they started popping up everywhere.. In the last week or so I've seen at least 6.
  8.    #8  
    If Palm have no plan to sell into a market ( like, say, one of the 20 European countries that aren't UK or Germany or Spain ), then it would cost Palm next to nothing to let the consumers in that country order an unlocked Palm Pre direct from them, and it might even make them a bob or two. If Palm don't get the customers NOW, before Droids etc tie up the first-time smartphone buyers into two-year contracts, then THEY NEVER WILL. And then it's goodbye Palm.
    Last edited by romcom; 11/04/2009 at 10:37 AM.