1.    #1  
    Hi

I'm about to go on a driving trip and I will have my new Pre (UK version 1.1.3) in the holder on the dashboard.

Now, I've discovered in short tests I've done in the car is that the swipe up to unlock the pre or answer an incoming call, while still keeping an eye on the road, is at best haphazard and at worst a bit dangerous. There's no way you can feel the circle on the screen and you have to look. Turning on the pre and then unlocking it is even worse.

I've set up the homebrew QuickContacts so I've got one touch dialling (even with my fat fingers) but is there any way that I can turn off the screen lock so the screen dims but *doesn't* lock? And then one touch on the pre screen awakens the it so I can perform a phonecall safely. I did think of NoDoze but that just seems to keep the screen on and I don't want to drain the battery.

Also, while I'm here, the place where I'll be staying is in a mobile dead zone and so I won't even get a 2G signal let alone 3G. I will however have Wifi so is there any way to turn off the phone but keep Wifi?

Any ideas gratefully received....!
    Check out the homebrew app NoDoze
    Yes (well at least it works for us in NA), turn on airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on. There is another way to disable the cellular radio but I don't think that is working in the UK/EU with 1.1.3 software right now.

Also....I don't think NoDoze will work for you on 1.1.3 as you will need to webOS quick install or Preware to install it and those are only compatible with the 1.2. However some people in the UK/EU have reported success with installing webOS 1.2.1 so you could try that as you really have nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    Also, while I'm here, the place where I'll be staying is in a mobile dead zone and so I won't even get a 2G signal let alone 3G. I will however have Wifi so is there any way to turn off the phone but keep Wifi?
  4.    #4  
    Thanks.... I did (as I said) but it keeps the screen on constantly which i don't want either.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    A combination of NoDoze and Quick System Tasks. QST allows you to dim the screen right down at pre/user-defined levels.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Also....I don't think NoDoze will work for you on 1.1.3 as you will need to webOS quick install or Preware to install it and those are only compatible with the 1.2
    All these work with 1.1.3. The only problem is with the patches for 1.2 won't work, but some of the patches have been back ported to 1.1.3
  7.    #7  
    thanks fo the suggetons (ididnt reli yo could turn on wifi while in aeroplane mode, but i've just tested it and you can, so that solves that problem!

As for the other solutions all that nodoze can do is keep the screen on which i don't want. The addition of quick system tasks is a good idea but unfortunately even with the patch (yes Preware does work on 1.1.3!) to reduce maximum brightness the screen is still waaaay too bright (and a drain on my battery)
    Im pretty sure theres a patch for that, but unfortunately wont work on fw 1.1.3.
  9.    #9  
    i meant reduce *minimum* brightness
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The minimum brightness for the Pre is 10 (out of 100), there is a patch to bring this down to 0. This patch is for 1.1.3
  11.    #11  
    i've been through all the patches and I can't see one. I'm not all that worried if I can't access it until the 1.3 update, but my chief fear is that no developers might have thought of the extra perils a pre presents while driving
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    The minimum brightness for the Pre is 10 (out of 100), there is a patch to bring this down to 0.
    yes i have that patch and it works, but the screen is still waaaay brighter than i used to set my centro at for maximum battery
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    if you list all patches for 1.1.3, its called Reduce Minimum Brightness, listed last week