1.    #1  
    Hello All,

I am trying to access root of my Palm Pre using Ubuntu Karmic Koala. I have installed palm-sdk, virtualbox, and novacomd. I am following the instructions on this web page: webos-internals.org/wiki/Accessing_Linux_Using_Novaterm

I located novaterm in /usr/local/bin. When I run "novaterm", "./novaterm", or "novacom $* -t open tty://0" in terminal, I receive a "failed to connect to server" message. The instructions in the website above say, for a Mac, to run:

sudo chmod 644 /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.palm.novacomd
    sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.palm.novacomd
    ./novaterm

I do not know enough about the "chmod" command nor Macs to understand what I should do in Ubuntu. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Ignore the stuff about OS X, it's totally irrelevant to you on Linux.

I think you're probably missing a step: before running novaterm you must have the "novacomd" daemon running. This has to be run as root (or with sudo). Once that is up, your phone must be in developer mode and connected by USB, then run the "novacom $* -t open tty://0" command.
    I just upgraded to karmic from jaunty yesterday, and since the upgrade I am getting the same error. Previously in jaunty it was working perfectly. I haven't had time to investigate yet, but will post back if I find anything.
    The solution is here - running it mannually.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=31&t=1391
    Thanks mr71mb0, got it working.
  6.    #6  
    Hello All,

I apologize for being so stupid. I looked at the explanation of the work-around. I just need a little more help: The explanation states:

then "sudo palm-novacom/opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd &" to start the novacom daemon, and put novacom and novaterm somewhere in your path (but NOT in /usr/local/bin else it will cause problems when you try to install the next update).

When I run "sudo palm-novacom/opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd &", I get "[1] 4840". When I run "novaterm", I get "[1]+ Stopped sudo palm-novacom/opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd."

I don't understand the instructions to "put novacom and novaterm somewhere in your path (but NOT in /usr/local/bin else it will cause problems when you try to install the next update)".

If someone could provide some more granular instructions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Hello All,

I got it working. I had to reset my Pre. It wouldn't even update Pandora. Thank you for your help.