1.    #1  
    FWIW, Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 announced:

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 announced, we go hands-on

As you can see, Synergy-like contact integration is all the rage with Android devices. One thing that's still missing from Synergy is person centered and topic threaded email conversations.

I don't like all the glitz and flying faces on the Rachael UI, but it's quite obvious that what Palm announced in CES in January is quickly becoming just another standard feature.

We argue a lot about the app catalog and the SDK, but we don't really know if Palm has other big ideas like Synergy in the offing.

Do you want to see Palm going further with Synergy, or do you prefer video recording, voice dialing and games first?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    That phone is ugly. Honestly i think palm needs to come out with a candybar phone with touch keyboard like everyone else has. The larger market is the younger people that use touch keyboards and like the bigger screens. Also the phone wont feel so flimsy. Nobody cares about synergy. They need to focus on video recording, apps and games and all the other things that drive the younger generation to blow all their cash on these phones.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I'd take synergy messaging over video recording any day. As well as multitasking and a real keyboard (over video).
    Synergy can/could be really functional. The challenge is that it's very difficult to market this feature to consumers in a way that makes them think: "I must have it."

Palm missed a marketing opportunity to do so in a way that sticks (like Apple is doing with apps now). Now the message is blurry since everyone seems to be doing something similar.

It would be interesting to see if Apple has something like Synergy up their sleeve. If they do and market it, you can be sure it will be done much better and in a way that sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I'd take synergy messaging over video recording any day. As well as multitasking and a real keyboard (over video).
    It's unfortunate that other companies like Sony, Google, and HTC are showing us that we can have it ALL instead of being forced to choose.

That should've been what Palm brought to the table. Multitasking just doesn't mean as much if you aren't multiFUNCTIONAL.
    Palm missed a marketing opportunity to do so in a way that sticks (like Apple is doing with apps now). Now the message is blurry since everyone seems to be doing something similar.
    You're on the right track. Problem is Palm missed marketing opportunities across the board. Not just on synergy.

Here are things people (nontechies or mainstreamers or palm's target market) do NOT know in general based on my experience:

1. Does it have a browser like the iphone?

2. I heard about the Pre, but i need something like the iphone that plays music.

3. I don't know, the iphone seems cheaper to me. 99 a month with Sprint?

Those are three of the common things i hear. The last one isn't Palm so much but Sprint pushing its 99 plan so much that people fail to realize they have other plans (and don't forget free Sprint Nav...but its not marketed and neither push car mounts).

Back to Palm. Apple recognizes people, in general, are simple stupid. This annoys some of us when we see them market copy n paste or whatever, but they must. People are that dumb or ignorant for a nicer word.

Palm (and Sprint) skipped marketing anything about the browser. This is the most wanted or valued feature survey after survey. Not a mention.

They skip multimedia altogether. Just like with Treos. People (again, in general) have no clue. They know an iphone can.

Multitasking? They failed to show why it might be great. There must be a million ways to approach showing off this strength..but Palm hasn't come up with one. Notifications? Nothing.. Email? nada

Integrated SMS/IM app? Noone does this do they? This is awesome right? Nothing. Nada.

Brilliant screen, much sharper than iphone's, is capacitive and multitouch. No comparisons made. Nothing marketed here.

Touchstone is cool right? Not shown in any commercial i've seen. (admittedly i don't watch hardly any commercials due to dvr).

OTA updates? Apps? Nope. Instead we got this
    That Synergy seems to trump Palm's integration, which i was never a fan of to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    That phone is ugly. Honestly i think palm needs to come out with a candybar phone with touch keyboard like everyone else has. The larger market is the younger people that use touch keyboards and like the bigger screens. Also the phone wont feel so flimsy. Nobody cares about synergy. They need to focus on video recording, apps and games and all the other things that drive the younger generation to blow all their cash on these phones.
    I can live with a lot of ugly for a phone that provides the functionality I need. (As opposed to a really cool looking phone who's beauty is only skin deep.)

I think the argument about whether Palm should improve synergy, or the PIM apps, or the app catalog, or video recording, or..... is a bit misplaced. Palm doesn't seem to be able to do ANY of those things, making the concept of choosing sort of meaningless.

Video recording seems like a pretty basic feature, yet Palm hasn't been able to complete it in the 5 months since the phone was released? Seems to cast doubt on the capability of their development team. Maybe they're too busy working on iTunes sync.

Palm's window of opportunity is rapidly closing, I fear. They may remain a niche player, but unless they pull some major updates out of their collective **** in the very near future, I think that's all they'll be. They may be marginally profitable, but a niche phone won't attract the big developers and the serious apps that Andriod and the iPhone will.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's unfortunate that other companies like Sony, Google, and HTC are showing us that we can have it ALL instead of being forced to choose.

That should've been what Palm brought to the table. Multitasking just doesn't mean as much if you aren't multiFUNCTIONAL.
    That last sentence says it ALL.