1.    #1  
    I'm very big on gadgets and usually am overkill with my research before any major purchase. However, I'm not in medical school and I have zero time to do my usual research. I am currently using a POS phone after destroying my last one. I recently upgraded from an ancient Free and Clear plan to a everything data plan. I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm looking to get a smartphone.

I have not had any first hand expierience with the Pre, but I had my eye on it for a while. I read a few months back about all the issues and checked this site for periodic updates. It seems as tho the main problems are still the battery life and no video which are pretty big to me. Another for me is the lack of any available medical software (however, just saw an article stating Epocrates will be releasing a WebOS version). I currently use an Ipaq 110 in the hospital with 3 major programs used constantly.

I am torn right now as to what phone to get or even whether to stick with my garbage phone and wait for something else. I was hoping by the time my upgrade came all of the pre's bugs would have been ironed out, but I'm not so sure they were. The other 2 options in my price range are the BBerry Tour (which already has Epocrates support) and HTC Hero. I know zip about the Hero other than it runs Android, and the Tour2 is apparently a few months away.

I have played with a handful of Blackberries including the Tour and I like the messaging but hate the web browsing. I know most of the people on here do their homework as far as keeping up to date with all the latest hardware and software upgrades, and am looking for some educated opinions on what my best move is.

Pre? Tour? Hero? Wait it out?
    I'm a med student

Wait.

If you don't have time for the research, you don't have time to play with classic. Android dosn't have the epocraates support, and blackberry is an old OS with a terrible browser.

give it a few months, and you will have more choices which actually run Epocrates, and aren't relying on the bb crap browser.

I should add, free time wise I am a fourth year, I own a pre, and have had many other phones/smartphones PDA's long before beginning medical school.

so yea, wait.
  3.    #3  
    My PDA running Windows mobile 6 works pretty decently at the hospital despite being a tad slow at times, and can last me about 4 days of use before needing a single charge. And, I think I might start losing hair if I continue using the Opera mini browser on my garbage flip phone any longer.

Eventually I would like to only have to carry one device, but I'm not sure when the other two programs I use a lot, Dynamed and MD Consult plan to support newer OS's. Currently PalmOS and Windows mobile are the only two supported. I've heard rumors the iphone eventually will have tons of great medical software, but I can't see myself ever going that route unless apple truly monopolized the market.

So, I'm starting to think that waiting might be my "smartest" move and am gradually warming up to the idea of keeping my current phone a LITTLE longer. I'm just worried that to see any significantly better options within my price range I might be waiting 6+ months and I might lose my mind by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by osin83 View Post
    So, I'm starting to think that waiting might be my "smartest" move and am gradually warming up to the idea of keeping my current phone a LITTLE longer. I'm just worried that to see any significantly better options within my price range I might be waiting 6+ months and I might lose my mind by then.
    you might, you just might.
    if anything, wait until classicOS can run such applications without problem. Honestly right now epocrates on classicOS is broken, and it is killing me on my ID rotation. Luckely the browser helps make up for much of it, but I really want the Classic emulator to be fully ironed out from a stability stand point so that legacy applications can be run, not in a janky 8 times out of 10 way, but in a way that approaches the reliability of my old zire72. this isn't as much palms problem as motion apps, and is a result of running in an emulator.

If/when the emulator becomes truly reliable, and epocrates is (once again) working on it, that may be a time to consider the pre. I wouldn't before that happens, and, if I could, I would hold out for at least one of your vital programs to make an appearance as native on webOS.