Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am looking forward to getting my first Pre this season when I am eligible for an upgrade. I was wondering if some of you would share with me what to look for when grabbing a Pre and determining if it has good build quality?i.e. should i look for certain numbers on the phone to determine build date? I'm hoping to handle a couple before I leave, and have peace of mind in my decision. thanks for and input.
    Nah all the new ones'll be the best build.

The "sunset" box is what the basic new-builds came in.

As long as you don't grab a refurbished you won't have to worry about anything.
    Buying a Pre is like craps in Las Vegas. You never know what you're gonna roll. That is the easiest way to put it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Nah all the new ones'll be the best build.

The "sunset" box is what the basic new-builds came in.

As long as you don't grab a refurbished you won't have to worry about anything.
    not true, I had my first pre back in august with the sunset box and exchanged it because of the oreo effect. The exchanged pre I received in September was a keeper.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    What is the oreo affect??
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondepagter View Post
    What is the oreo affect??
    If you search around enough, even on Google, you'll find out what it is along with pictures and videos. Essentially it's a phenomenon that happens with all slide-out keyboard phones where once the keyboard is slid out, it manipulates or "jiggles" a little left and right, like how you would twist and oreo open. THe palm had some bad units come out that had a lot of play, unacceptable levels. I have a newer build and have NO problem whatsoever.
    I may be mistaken but unfortunately you cannot turn these phones on to check the build date in the software w/o activation. Assuming that, you are allowed 30 Days to return the device. I say buy one and once activated, go into the phone dialer screen and press ##786# This will bring up all the info including the warranty date which would be around the build date if not exactly. Mine was 10/8/2009 and I must say I have NONE of the issues some of the early adopters had.

Some test you can do without turning on the phone, in store I suppose if they let you open the box, would be to slide out the keyboard and very gently try to wiggle it left and right. If you get a lot of play, say more than a couple millimeters, ask to try another.

Regardless, your 30 day no hassle return period is your friend, be brave!

Quote Originally Posted by mattnrana View Post
    I am looking forward to getting my first Pre this season when I am eligible for an upgrade. I was wondering if some of you would share with me what to look for when grabbing a Pre and determining if it has good build quality?i.e. should i look for certain numbers on the phone to determine build date? I'm hoping to handle a couple before I leave, and have peace of mind in my decision. thanks for and input.
    what is the sunset box lol???????
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    you just have to get the phone to know whether it is going to have its quirks. i have had mine for almost a month and can't complain for the most part. it gets a little warm/hot when running the gps, or on the web while charging... and yeah, i have a little- very little play (oreo effect) with mine, but i really do love the Pre.
    i bought my wife the Pre at the same time as me and she has taken it back twice already. once, because of the screen staying black after a call ended, and the second, because of a good amount of play in the phone (oreo effect).
    these are not reasons not to get the Pre. personally, i can only see Palm moving foward. the concept, the crispness, and how clean the webOS is, is unbelievable.
    i have stated numerous times, that i was totally against this phone before, and when it came out- and i had never even given it a chance. now that i have one though, i can't put it down. i am able to deal with charging the battery as needed, because i feel that the webOs is THAT GOOD.
    long story short, buy one- mess with it before you leave. look at the details, don't jerk it, but see if it twists (oreo), slide it open, close it. you have to leave feeling comfortable. get the insurance. read the forums and search for answers.
    good luck. you'll love it.
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.