1.    #1  
    So I used to think Palm shouldn't bother with iTunes. In theory, it shouldn't be hard to do without. You can always drag and drop files over USB, or get some app that does the syncing for you by reading the iTunes library.

I tried this initially. I bought Salling Media and was syncing. It mostly worked, except for playlists. The Pre Music App ignores playlists that are plainly there. So I can create as many playlists as I wish, they will not be read by the Pre Music Player. Unless I use iTunes. With iTunes, the Pre is perfectly in sync.

I'm inclined to think that Palm believes iTunes is the preferred solution, and this takes a big burden off their shoulders. They don't fix bugs and basically don't support anything over USB, you're on your own. Use iTunes.

So I am using iTunes, and now consider it essential to owning a Pre. It doesn't have to be that way, but Palm has made it the only reasonable syncing solution. Nothing else works as well.

I'm surprised as I thought iTunes support was some kind of bonus, but it is the only way Palm wants you to sync.

I am sure some will claim that playlists work for them. They don't for me.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I am sure some will claim that playlists work for them. They don't for me.
    When you say, "some will claim," are you implying that they'll be lying? Kind of sounds like it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3.    #3  
    Are you claiming to successfully sync playlists outside of iTunes?
    It's a shame iTunes seems to be the third party platform Palm wants to build their music platform on, but I agree. To save messy development time, they decided they would build their design around iTunes and nothing else.
    Are you claiming to successfully sync playlists outside of iTunes?
    Nope, just wondering about your motivation.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    try doubletwist...it's free, and playlists work perfectly for me, both with the original music app and the remix player.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    try doubletwist...it's free, and playlists work perfectly for me, both with the original music app and the remix player.
    There you go, claiming that you can sync playlists! Perhaps you should provide some proof...
    well, it works for me, and if you look at doubletwists website, they note playlist support for the pre. Website claiming support listed below:

Convert, Sync to BlackBerry, PSP, iPod, iPhone, LG | doubleTwist
    Last edited by kkumar99; 11/02/2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: addition
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I tried DoubleTwist. It didn't sync play lists and was slower to sync than iTunes. I tried J River Media (sp?) and couldn't get it to read my stuff out of iTunes. Of course with Pandora I hardly ever use the music player, except when data doesn't work.
    well, it works for me, and if you look at doubletwists website, they note playlist support for the pre. Website claiming support listed below:

Convert, Sync to BlackBerry, PSP, iPod, iPhone, LG | doubleTwist
    Sorry, forgot to put in my /sarc tag. I've heard that DoubleTwist is a perfectly servicable solution for the Pre, playlists and all.
  11.    #11  
    It used to work for me, then it stopped. The files are there in plain m3u format. Instead of figuring out why I just use iTunes.

The point really is that iTunes is not some bonus syncing feature, it is the syncing solution Palm gives you. I thought that was interesting.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    it is the syncing solution Palm gives you.
    "Tries" to give you. Right now they fail and personally they should just forget about itwit and move along. I understand they are trying to make it easy for people who use iTunes but frankly, who cares.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    My understanding is playlist and and double twist work perfectly in the PC world. Not so much in the Mac world.
    actually i'm using a mac!...the only problem I have with doubletwist is deleting songs from doubletwist...I get around this by directly deleting from the pre by opening it in finder.
    DoubleTwist is slower than a direct iTunes sync, but it syncs every playlist I select from the iTunes library.
    In my opinion the lack of desktop management software is WebOS and Android biggest drawback. Using an iPhone since it's release has gotten me hook'ed on the ease of use when sync'ing media including; music, video and podcasts. While I know about the other solutions for sync'ing this context that exist, the ease of use is just not there in any other solution I have found.

Now is this really Palm's problem to solve? I would argue that's it's not, it should be Amazon as they had a lot to gain as well, considering WebOS and Android both have native MP3 mobile apps. This could increase Amazon's market share dramatically and that's just in music. If they formed an agreement with Palm and Google for purchased video again that would make them a "real player" in this market.

DoubleTwist is sitting on a gold mine if they can improve their software. The report was they were getting $.10 a song purchased using their Amazon affiliate included in their software. Even if they were getting $.03 a song they could make a ton. When someone develops a client for Windows, OS X and Linux that interface into Amazon's MP3 and video stores like iTunes they will make a mint. Include a podcast directory and you will get lots of people to switch. All you developers should take a serious look at this. The key is you have to have an interface like iTunes or Zune, meaning ease of use and present the information in a visually compelling way. Tie into other sites with information about the artist and or movie and you have a hit.

Anyway that my opinion, I hope someone steps ups to help us all out.
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    actually i'm using a mac!...the only problem I have with doubletwist is deleting songs from doubletwist...I get around this by directly deleting from the pre by opening it in finder.
    Really? So you have found a way to update (sync) a playlist from double twist on your Pre. You might be able to add a playlist but you cannot sync it and if you can't sync the playlist what's the point?
    1.0b9 cannot sync playlists? - Help! Tech support for doubleTwist Macintosh - doubleTwist Community
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Really? So you have found a way to update (sync) a playlist from double twist on your Pre. You might be able to add a playlist but you cannot sync it and if you can't sync the playlist what's the point?
    1.0b9 cannot sync playlists? - Help! Tech support for doubleTwist Macintosh - doubleTwist Community
    I stand corrected...hadn't tried updating my playlist, had just added for the first time...Tried updating now, doesn't work...would have to delete the songs from the pre then re-add them to update the syncing via doubletwist...so yeah...it sux...but i'll give doubletwist some time to update, free software that is continually improving
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I stand corrected...hadn't tried updating my playlist, had just added for the first time...Tried updating now, doesn't work...would have to delete the songs from the pre then re-add them to update the syncing via doubletwist...so yeah...it sux...but i'll give doubletwist some time to update, free software that is continually improving
    I'll be pretty excited once they fix the playlist sync for Mac. I think double twist has a lot of potential.