Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We are now almost 5 months after launch. The Pre is bug ridden, the SDK is limited, not only technically, but also in what Palm lets developers use. The app catalog is mostly filled with trivial apps. By any objective criteria both have disappointed.

Imagine an alternative scenario where Palm just shipped a device that worked really well out of the box but did not yet have a developer program or app catalog, although it gave a target time frame of a year from launch for those. In the mean time, Palm fixed issues quickly, improved performance and maybe threw in a good Facebook app and continued working with select partners to bring the most popular apps to the device. The perception of speed was at least as good as Android's.

Building on this foundation they finally start focusing on an open developer program. The framework then has been thoroughly debugged and optimized and maybe Palm even had time to work on hardware acceleration.

Back to reality. I'm aware that many here believed Palm must emulate Apple and compete with an app catalog and SDK for developer mindshare and follow the trendy "good enough" way of doing things. But looking back, this hasn't worked very well for Palm.

So what do you think? I'm especially curious to hear from those who demanded an SDK and app store or those who still believe Palm is executing the right plan.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I happen to think there's a few great applications in the App Catalog that have made it entirely worth having. Besides, I needed at least one game to pass the time.
    This is a pretty interesting question. First, I actually think the Pre shipped remarkably bug free. Not perfect, but it has steadily gotten even better. Compared to the last Palm device I owned, this is loads better. So I'm not sure they really missed the boat all that badly on initial software quality. I'm also not sure they could have accelerated and added all that much functionality if they had not tried to do the SDK and App Catalog. I mean, at some point all software projects neck down to a few key people, and you can only do so much. They were really moving to get as much done as they did. And think of the benefits of an SDK--it allows Palm itself to continue to move quickly.

So I think they made the right choice. I think there would have been even more of an uproar if they had waited 6 months to produce an SDK.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    We are now almost 5 months after launch. The Pre is bug ridden, the SDK is limited, not only technically, but also in what Palm lets developers use. The app catalog is mostly filled with trivial apps. By any objective criteria both have disappointed.
    Sigh.... Here we go again. Your opinion is just that, yours. You holding that opinion does not make it "an objective criteria".

Every OS has some bugs. Mine is not "bug ridden". Sorry to hear about yours.
    Every popular OS is in a situation where most of the applications are "trivial". Of course, "trivial" means it's not important to those not using it.

Bypassing all the leading comments, I'd say that both the SDK nor the Apps Catalog have been "worth it". If they are the extent of what Palm is going to do, then I will be disappointed; however, by releasing both, we have seen some very good applications made available for the Pre, and in a remarkably short period of time.

I think that Palm is very much on the right track.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Out of all the phones I have had, the Pre is the most stable and bug free I have ever had. It lacks some features but for the most part there are patches and or homebrew apps to solve these short comings.

That brings me to applications. The problem with current app catalog applications is that Palm will only allow apps into the catalog that use approved functions from the SDK and yet Palm has not released a very good SDK. Most developers have huge ideas that they can not exploit due to Palms limitations. So some developers make a great and usable app only to remove unofficial functions and release it to the app catalog. This is the downfall of current apps. It causes mass confusion and many upset customers since the homebrew version of the apps had better functionality.

If developers would ONLY release full official apps to the catalog (read, not broken or limited) and keep the unofficial stuff to homebrew until Palm gets their head out of their ***, I think we would see far better quality apps in the catalog.
    I have been very happy and expected a few problems and delays. I went thru the exact same thing with the iPhone and it took 3 years just to get MMS, video recording and some other things.
  7.    #7  
    Okay, lets ask further: why hasn't the Pre been a success so far? Is it a lack of quality or of apps?
    My Pre has been amazingly bug free. Most bug free new smartphone I have ever bought let alone brand new OS.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Whatever the problems of the Pre are or are perceived to be, I think they'd only be exacerbated the lack of an App Catalog and SDK.

In fact, I know. The number one reason why the iPhone wasn't called a smartphone out of the gate was lack of apps. Shipping an app-free smartphone in 2009- is just suicide. No weather. No news apps. No way to access banking. No way to stream music or podcasts.

And how would abandoning these efforts free up resources to finish the OS? It wouldn't. Meanwhile, the legions (many in this very forum) who said "Man, I would've abandoned this device already if it wasn't for homebrews, patches, and themes" would have been long gone.

I don't what it will take to get Palm to finish WebOS, but this wouldn't be it.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Okay, lets ask further: why hasn't the Pre been a success so far? Is it a lack of quality or of apps?
    What is your definition of success? I'd call it successful. It came to the party late and it probably won't be licensed out to phone manufacturers. Not to mention, it didn't exactly bring anything revolutionary like the iPhone did so it won't have the wide spread popularity that iPhone and Android have but that doesn't mean it has not been successful. It is up against some great phones and it's a new OS and phone. It will take time to mature. But I would not call it an unsuccessful phone by any means.
    It's the lack of a picture of a fruit on it.

No, I think it's any number of things. One of those is definitely because it's not from Apple, but there are others:

Bad commercials
    Perceived hardware issues
    Newcomer to market (webOS is, not Palm)
    Palm's track record / name recognition is bad (by that I mean, by the last few years of Garnet, they were pretty much considered a has-been)

Only below these reasons would I put the lack of apps.
    By any objective criteria both have disappointed.
    Which criteria are those? You've apparently exhausted the possibilities, and I'm very curious to know what they are.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Wow, that's a loaded question. By what criteria are you saying the Pre hasn't been a success?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Totally disagree that WebOS is "bug ridden". For the most part it works very well, and parts of it are quite terrific and still unmatched on other phones.

Yeah, the SDK and the App Catalog are still young, and a lot of developers are kinda' just doing something easy to get a product out. But most people have no clue how much time it takes to really develop quality software.

To say the Pre has "not been a success" is just an opinion, not a fact. In many senses it's been a success ... maybe not as much as you'd like (and probably not even as much as Palm would like) ... but overall it's probably pretty close to what Palm could reasonably expect.
    I think when any device sells over a million in less than 6 months it is doing pretty well. It might not be as good of numbers as some other phones, but also realize the phone was just on Sprint for a good amount of the last 5 months, just launched in the UK, it just launched in Spain, and it just launched in Germany.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the Pixi will do extremely well. Once Verizon starts pushing the Pre and maybe AT&T the sales numbers will go up. We already know the Pixi is going to be on AT&T eventually according to the leak a few months back.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I think when any device sells over a million in less than 6 months it is doing pretty well.
    When did anybody reveal actual sales numbers?
    Huh??? Define success. If, by "success", you mean "Pull a longstanding company from the brink of bankrupcy", I'd say it's a success. If you mean "Make Sivan happy", not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Whatever the problems of the Pre are or are perceived to be, I think they'd only be exacerbated the lack of an App Catalog and SDK.

In fact, I know. The number one reason why the iPhone wasn't called a smartphone out of the gate was lack of apps. Shipping an app-free smartphone in 2009- is just suicide. No weather. No news apps. No way to access banking. No way to stream music or podcasts.

And how would abandoning these efforts free up resources to finish the OS? It wouldn't. Meanwhile, the legions (many in this very forum) who said "Man, I would've abandoned this device already if it wasn't for homebrews, patches, and themes" would have been long gone.

I don't what it will take to get Palm to finish WebOS, but this wouldn't be it.
    Wow, Mikah912 and I agree on something. Whowouldathinkit?
    Im going to say I dont feel my phone is buggy... And I feel the phone does do well out of the box... Now the apps I dont use because Im not that really impressed by them because I know the SDK isnt really good... I have patients though and I know it will get better over time so im not worried about it... I actually feel like we are moving at a decent pace.
  20.    #20  
    So far we have these positions:

1. Palm succeeded with the Pre and will succeed further as it launches on more operators
    2. Palm has been only moderately successful with the Pre due to ineffective marketing and going against Apple
    3. Palm failed with the Pre, it did what it should have done (i.e. emulating Apple), but had no chance given its situation
    4. Palm succeeded merely by surviving
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast