Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    And nobody argured that anyone said "the market would freeze"
    People keep saying we should excuse Palm's failings and it's lack of delivering apps because years ago Apple didn't have an app store when the iphone launched. I didn't mention a word about people claiming the market would freeze. And that Palm is moving as fast as they can is just another excuse for why they can't get their act together. I don't care that they are trying their hardest. Good for them. Doesn't help me. It's not fruitless or unfair to attack palm. This is business in. They can deliver the product that impresses masses of consumers or they'll fail. Right now they are failing.
    Based on what?
    Quote Originally Posted by V1cK dB View Post
    As for me...I'll take your advice. I'm moving on to the Droid on Friday and giving the Pre to my wife. This is NOT good enough for me.
    I had to hit thanks on that one because it means we only have to put up with your whiny garbage for three more days.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    I had to hit thanks on that one because it means we only have to put up with your whiny garbage for three more days.
    Lol. I did the same. Ironic.

Believe me...I'm much more excited than you.

Also..instead of the personal attack...care to counter any of my argument? Must be a liberal.
    Lol. I did the same. Ironic.

Believe me...I'm much more excited than you.

Also..instead of the personal attack...care to counter any of my argument? Must be a liberal.
    Counter??? There is no "counter". It would appear from your posts, and those of the other "antiPres" that no "counter" will be tolerated. If one points out possible reasoning behind Palm's decisions, they are fanfolk. If they compare where the Pre is now to the same timeframe with other devices, they are making excuses. If they say buy what suits you, but they are happy with the Pre, even that is somehow wrong. It would seem total agreement is the only acceptable stance.

Did you Droiid, or was that Borg?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    As a potential customer trying to make the choice between the Pre and alternatives I am dissappointed with the silence on Palm's part regarding what fixes and updates are coming to webOS.

Given the choice between an Android device and a Pre I am leaning more towards Android based on the recent activity in the plaform's development with 1.6 to 2.0 coming so quickly.

I don't know what Palm plans to do or if they will survive given their tight financial situation. I think them being a little more open about development plans would give comfort to those like me who are on the fence.
    I find it quite funny those attacking others that are unhappy with Palm and the Pre yet those that are complaining own Pre's and have formed their own opinions from actually using and owning the phone (like myself).

I feel like I was mislead by all the hype over the summer. I really did enjoy the phone the first month I owned it, but after that initial month of enjoyment there was nothing else. The updates have been nothing but bug fixes; a shoddy app store with a laugh-at-SDK for developers and no sense of direction from Palm for their loyal followers.

Last week, I packed my bags and said bon voyage and good luck to you .. but me personally, I'm not going to sit idle with my thumb up my *** waiting for something that may never even come.

I'll keep my Pre around and watch the community hoping that WebOS matures into something that actually is comparable and competitive against what's currently out there and has been out there for quite some time.

If it works for you .. then by all means, enjoy it.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I find it quite funny those attacking others that are unhappy with Palm and the Pre yet those that are complaining own Pre's and have formed their own opinions from actually using and owning the phone (like myself).

I feel like I was mislead by all the hype over the summer. I really did enjoy the phone the first month I owned it, but after that initial month of enjoyment there was nothing else. The updates have been nothing but bug fixes; a shoddy app store with a laugh-at-SDK for developers and no sense of direction from Palm for their loyal followers.

Last week, I packed my bags and said bon voyage and good luck to you .. but me personally, I'm not going to sit idle with my thumb up my *** waiting for something that may never even come.

I'll keep my Pre around and watch the community hoping that WebOS matures into something that actually is comparable and competitive against what's currently out there and has been out there for quite some time.

If it works for you .. then by all means, enjoy it.
    It works for me. Thanks for caring.
    This thread is ridiculous... I can't believe I read through all those horrible, catty conversations that morphed out of a stupid, poorly thought out OP. No offense to some of the posters, with well-intended and intelligent posts, but this thread turned into a childish cat fight.

There's a simple fix and it was possibly the most intelligent post on PreCentral:
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    ...If you don't like the Pre, then move on with your life and by all means, get a device that does what you want it to do. What's the point in coming here and venting?
    The rationale to the OP is just crazy. I have an old iTouch (whatever it's called) so I'm going to go over to theiphoneblog.com and start a thread to how much I can't believe the iPod Touch is falling behind, so I'm going to get a Zune... come on. Don't waste server space at PreCentral OR our time, and leave the posting for Pre users that want to learn something. Please. Or start a blog; Blogspot would be a great area to vent in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by reagan247 View Post
    This thread is ridiculous... I can't believe I read through all those horrible, catty conversations that morphed out of a stupid, poorly thought out OP. No offense to some of the posters, with well-intended and intelligent posts, but this thread turned into a childish cat fight.

There's a simple fix and it was possibly the most intelligent post on PreCentral:

The rationale to the OP is just crazy. I have an old iTouch (whatever it's called) so I'm going to go over to theiphoneblog.com and start a thread to how much I can't believe the iPod Touch is falling behind, so I'm going to get a Zune... come on. Don't waste server space at PreCentral OR our time, and leave the posting for Pre users that want to learn something. Please. Or start a blog; Blogspot would be a great area to vent in the future.
    Actually ... you'd be going to the Zune forum and talking about how much catching up it has to do. :P
    Actually ... you'd be going to the Zune forum and talking about how much catching up it has to do. :P
    hahaha... actually, after i wrote that i thought to myself "wow, what a horrible example. i would never buy a zune."
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by reagan247 View Post
    So you're calling my post stupid and poorly thought out

You misread my post and are imagining things I did not say. I think you're confusing my post with some of the off topic responses.

To reiterate my point: the Pre is bug ridden and is barely usable in a business context. Instead of shipping high quality or at least attending to bugs with urgency, Palm has squandered resources on a premature SDK and app catalog.

Over many threads on PreCentral, it has been argued that Palm is dead without apps and must open its own SDK and app store post haste. Now, five months after the launch, we have an app catalog and what are the results?

What Palm gave us since the launch fell short on both counts. The Pre has numerous bugs and is lacking critical functions expected from a Palm device. We've made do with this since June and all we get in return is a premature SDK and an app catalog that fails to generate any interest. It certainly does nothing to attract new customers, its supposed reason for being.

So was it worth it? Simple question.

And to the other helpful suggestion to buy another device -- nowhere did I say I wanted one. Again, you skimmed over the OP and the thread, caught some off topic rants and are now accusing me of not thinking through my post. To be very clear: I expect the Pre to give me a very good browser, set of PIM apps and music player. To pick my biggest gripe, there is no technical reason for the current state of the calendar, other than it being put on the back burner so we can have a selection of trivial apps that don't begin to cover my needs.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Still, comparing their rate of development against Android, the iPhone or anyone else last year is irrelevant. What matters is where things stand RIGHT NOW.

When a consumer walks into Sprint or has access to any other demo there's a 4/5 chance all they care about is what it can do right now and not what it's potentially capable of or what it will be six months from now.

Potential won't make sales for Palm.
    By that argument, no one should ever attempt to market another phone ever and leave the field to Apple since no one can possibly field a new phone based on a new OS with 90,000+ apps RIGHT NOW. The point of my previous post was that the Pre's improvement and webOS's evolution compares favorably with the development that has occurred on the iPhone and particularly on Android. Palm got paid apps into its app store in half the time that it took Google to get paid apps on the Android Marketplace. That implies that it is catching up fast. While it may not matter what the Pre will be capable of six months from now, if six months from now the next version of the Pre is more capable than its iPhone or Android counterpart it will be in part because of the experience which Palm gained from its work the current version.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post

You misread my post and are imagining things I did not say. I think you're confusing my post with some of the off topic responses.

To reiterate my point: the Pre is bug ridden and is barely usable in a business context. Instead of shipping high quality or at least attending to bugs with urgency, Palm has squandered resources on a premature SDK and app catalog.

Over many threads on PreCentral, it has been argued that Palm is dead without apps and must open its own SDK and app store post haste. Now, five months after the launch, we have an app catalog and what are the results?

What Palm gave us since the launch fell short on both counts. The Pre has numerous bugs and is lacking critical functions expected from a Palm device. We've made do with this since June and all we get in return is a premature SDK and an app catalog that fails to generate any interest. It certainly does nothing to attract new customers, its supposed reason for being.

And to the other helpful suggestion to buy another device -- nowhere did I say I wanted one. Again, you skimmed over the OP and the thread, caught some off topic rants and are now accusing me of not thinking through my post. To be very clear: I expect the Pre to give me a very good browser, set of PIM apps and music player. To pick my biggest gripe, there is no technical reason for the current state of the calendar, other than it being put on the back burner so we can have a selection of trivial apps that don't begin to cover my needs.
    The problem is the post is trivial as you are only going to get two types of replies for or against the Pre, which has been proven by this thread and others ad nauseum. You also clearly display a set agenda so even if you had a good point most on the other side of the fence will not give it serious consideration. And why shouldn't people tell you to get another device if you feel the Pre is bug ridden, palm is squandering resources, and palm has fallen short. These are your words. Most people wouldn't stay with a device if they held those opinions.

1st off... it's not possible to "skim" over this thread, except clicking from page 1 to page 5... and that's definitely not what I did.

To make it fair, I will say I do agree with you partly. The Pre is bug ridden. I do NOT agree with you saying it is unusable though. I quite actually enjoy using my Pre. I agree that the build quality could have been better, and blah blah blah. But I doubt that there's any point in saying any of this, as 95% of the current Pre owners would say the same thing.

That being said, you do have to understand where the forum members are coming from... You have your opinion, which is fine, but you have completely and utterly dismissed all other posters in this thread. You have posted 2 "rhetorical" questions, then allowed for no productive debate from different opinions. It's tough to agree with you, even partially.
    ...To be very clear: I expect the Pre to give me a very good browser, set of PIM apps and music player. To pick my biggest gripe, there is no technical reason for the current state of the calendar, other than it being put on the back burner so we can have a selection of trivial apps that don't begin to cover my needs.
    I think the point you may be missing is that they may not have been targeting your needs. Which would explain why you're getting so many answerss that are saying "Yeah, it was "Worth it".
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think the point you may be missing is that they may not have been targeting your needs. Which would explain why you're getting so many answerss that are saying "Yeah, it was "Worth it".
    Can you just debate like a normal person instead of redefining and substituting my words? I have no idea what all this quoting and conjecturing about my thought process is supposed to explain.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    We are now almost 5 months after launch. The Pre is bug ridden, the SDK is limited, not only technically, but also in what Palm lets developers use. The app catalog is mostly filled with trivial apps. By any objective criteria both have disappointed.
    Since you think the Pre and its app catalog are so bad, I'll trade you for my Instinct. Last year's iPhone Killer, Sprints Flagship phone for 2008. It has a wonderful app catalog. (15 months after release.)
    Last edited by mcurrens; 11/04/2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added comment
    When you buy a 1st generation device and OS as an early adopter you pretty much have to expect some bugs....this is the real world... if you need a more bug free device you should stop complaining and migrate to a mature platform....apple and blackberry are mature...android is nearing maturity...

It seems to take about two years for a smartphone platform to mature... we are 5 months into the pre/webos era... what did you realistically expect?

early adopter = dealing with bugs
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    early adopter = dealing with bugs
    Up to a point.

And the question stands: what did we get for the frustration of dealing with the Pre in its current state? There's nothing in the app catalog to make up for it.

And by "we" I mean those that demanded the SDK, wrote open letters and pounded on tables. For what? To their credit, Palm wanted to take the time and finish things up. But they eventually caved to the pressure.

Palm cannot be absent following the launch and leave it to patchers.