1.    #1  
    The cover of the usb port is broken.

Can I exchange to a new Pre using warranty or repair it?
    Some people have contacted palm and they have replaced the cover, but I doubt that they will replace the WHOLE phone for just the cover...
    Quote Originally Posted by barrylee View Post
    The cover of the usb port is broken.

Can I exchange to a new Pre using warranty or repair it?
    Lol thats just funny... Do you know how much money palm would loose.. They will just send you a new cover or you may take it to sprint and they will fix it for you.
  4.    #4  
    If they can fix it, I have nothing to complain of.
    Do I have to call them or visit the Sprint store?
    I bought it at the Radioshack.
    If it doesn't affect how the phone functions, Sprint will not replace it. If you speak to a manager they might do it, but I have been shot down at multiple Sprint stores trying to replace my phone because of the USB port crack. (Which caused the USB door to come loose and fall off.)
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If it doesn't affect how the phone functions, Sprint will not replace it. If you speak to a manager they might do it, but I have been shot down at multiple Sprint stores trying to replace my phone because of the USB port crack. (Which caused the USB door to come loose and fall off.)
    I got mine replaced for it. They said they don't normally do it but the lady helping me had the same thing happen to her's so she did it for me. Just gotta get lucky I guess.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I ripped my port cover off. Annoying as hell having to open the phone to charge the thing or plug it in. I feel free now that it's out in the open and i don't have to mess with it anymore.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I ripped my port cover off. Annoying as hell having to open the phone to charge the thing or plug it in. I feel free now that it's out in the open and i don't have to mess with it anymore.
    Wow, I couldn't stand to have a non-smooth, gaping hole in the side of my Pre all the time. I really wish they had just designed the port flush and left it without a cover, but as is, I wouldn't want it with the cover off.

To the O.P., I'd take it to Sprint and try your luck, but I don't think you can demand anything out of them.
    I ripped my port cover off too. My only regret is that I didn't do it the first day I got the phone!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Wow, I couldn't stand to have a non-smooth, gaping hole in the side of my Pre all the time. I really wish they had just designed the port flush and left it without a cover, but as is, I wouldn't want it with the cover off.

To the O.P., I'd take it to Sprint and try your luck, but I don't think you can demand anything out of them.
    I'm with you in not having a "non-smooth, gaping hole in the side of my Pre", but mine broke. Palm sent me a new cover after I complained and told them how careful I was because I had read about problems with the cover breaking. The cover was FedEx'd to me but won't stay on. It doesn't look as good as with the cover off, but it sure is more functional. I don't have to open the cover to get the USB cable in and the cover doesn't get in the way. In the dark it's much easier to put the cable in. It just works better.

Of course I wouldn't bother with the USB cable at all if it would charge on the TouchStone without turning on the clock at night. The light keeps me up, it's just too bright. So now my TouchStone is in my car and at night I plug in the USB cable.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks to all.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Mine just fell out today... I've been so ginger with it... but upon inspection I'm amazed that it hadn't come out sooner... this flimsy little piece of plastic will be falling out of plenty more Pres, I assure you.

I'm considering a fix with rubber cement... anyone got any other ideas?
    mine just fell off yesterday, and I too have been very careful. Its a tiny little piece that the 'leg' is attached by which cracked and broke. It wasn't the door that broke, but the area of the phone that holds the door! I know its nothing huge, but I'd like it fixed.. I too have contemplted fixing with glue, but I'm afraid of doing more harm than good,especially considering the type of adhesive it would take to do it "right".
    Mines been off for about 3 months now. I like the phone better with out it! :P
    Last edited by cgardner; 11/15/2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quality control sucks on this device so cheap!
    I called Palm today to get the bracket that holds the door fixed. After 1.5 hours!!!! -they finally agreed to do an advanced exchange (phone for phone) for $29.95. I'm still a little ticked that I have to pay anything to get it fixed because I believe it's insane to expect that the little flimsy plastic holding the door on wouldn't break.

They claimed that no one else has had this issue... so everyone that reads this... call and complain so that future palm users can get better customer service.
    Throw the port cover away and move on with your life... it's is a pain in the keester anyway.
    I did the online chat on Palm's website. They mailed me a new USB cover and I had it in 3 days.

Putting it back on is another matter, I do kinda like it better without the door.
    Mine finally bit the dust today after I have glued it three times before. Frankly, I am surprised it lasted this long and am not going to replace it,