1.    #1  
    My current Pre is stuck in headset mode. They sent me a replacement phone. Is there anyway to backup the apps on my current phone and transfer them to the new phone? Just curious. Thanks.
    No need to backup the apps. You can re-download them from the store at no cost.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Actually, the apps that are from the App Catalog, will show up automatically when you sign in on the new phone.
    You will just need to install any Homebrew.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  5.    #5  
    what about Homebrew that are now on the app catalog?
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    If you didn't download the version in the App Catalog they will not show up.
  7.    #7  
    So I have apps from Homebrew that now are on the app catalog (at a charge). Back to the original question, is there anyway to backup these apps and transfer to the new phone?
    Im on here looking for same answer.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    If you bought apps in the app catalog they will be on your phone when you sign back into your account. If they are not, you can re-download any paid apps for free.
  10.    #10  
    so I have the rpn scientic calculator that I dowloaded from Homebrew for free. It is now on the app catalog for $10. Do I have to now pay $10 to get the app or can I save it to my hard drive and reinstall it on the new phone? Of all the hacks, etc that are out there...is this possible. I appreciate all of the help but I don't think I've seen an actual answer yet.
    I would think the BEST answer would be to contact the developer of the app and ask them....
  12.    #12  
    Ask the developer if it is possible to copy the .ipk file to my computers hard drive and then reload it to my Pre? Because that is the question that I am asking.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dosnotches View Post
    Ask the developer if it is possible to copy the .ipk file to my computers hard drive and then reload it to my Pre? Because that is the question that I am asking.
    ask the developer if they are ok with you doing that. Be gracious.

it can be done, the question is should it?

you can't covet your homebrew. Eventually an update or webos dr and its over. If you need the app then buy it. If it was free and now is not there is a reason and you should ask the person who started charging
    Last edited by jbelew; 11/05/2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling. Afterthought
    I don't think the developer will give you the app for free
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duce152 View Post
    I don't think the developer will give you the app for free
    this has gone both ways. Several have extended the free beta to those who still have apps. Flightview was free on app cat. And now is 4.99 and they say if you got it for free you can keep it. Others remove free homebrew and have paid app cat versions only, while still others maintain 2 versions.
    Last edited by jbelew; 11/05/2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling
  16.    #16  
    I guess I'll quit "donating" to the apps if with the risk of just having to pay for them anyways. It's not worth the time to contact all of the developers and hope to get an answer before the 15 days (which is now 8) is up to send back the phone. Thanks for the replies.