1.    #1  
    My Pre touch screen stopped working when I took it out of the charger yesterday. I thought it was totally broken. I can do something by using keyboard, like typing name of a contact and click return to dial.

I discover this morning, that when I plug it into the charging cable the touch screen works. Even if the cable isn't plugged into the computer or USB power.

Very strange that it just wants something plugged in for the screen to work.

I have tried removing battery and restarting.. no success. I've even done a backup, partial erase and restore. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    This happened to me as well. Eventually, the touch screen quit working all together and I had to get a new phone.
    Yeah. sounds like a visit to the Sprint store is in order
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    You'll lose screen completely soon, so get everything you want off of your bad Pre NOW , including your current contacts (if you get a new Pre right away the cloud contact backup will be OK, but if need to use another handset you won't be able to pull current contacts from the ether ....
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the tips. I went in and they are sending me a new phone. I have a backup, according the pre backup application, but I did already switch to an old samsung phone to last until I get a replacement pre. Based on the last post not to do this, does this mean that I wont be able to log into my new pre and restore everything, including contacts?

Also, before going into Sprint, I did the support chat with Palm. Of course they had me try everything I'd already done, reboot, take battery out, etc. However, after a while when it appeared we weren't going to fix this, they asked, "Have you installed any homebrew apps." Since I'm sure they could log into my phone I didn't want to say no, but at the same time I figured, "here it comes, the reason they can't support me because I loaded unsupported, homebrew apps." I was pleasantly surprised though that after I fessed up to installing homebrew apps, they didn't end support. I did make the point I hadn't installed any in a few days though.

At any rate, thanks again for the tips and suggestions!
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    as far as accessing the "cloud" youll be ok. I had a customer that swapped from the Pre to a BB 8830 so he could have a phone while traveling internationally, at the same time we had AE'd his old Pre because of the plastic bar on the bottom of the charging port was breaking off, so as soon as he got back into town, we swapped him into a new Pre and he logged into his Palm Profile and got all of his contacts and stuff back.
    My phone is currently having the same trouble. The face is frozen but when plugged in, it unfreezes. I take it it is a precursor to a dead phone. My question is why is this happening?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morgman View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I went in and they are sending me a new phone. I have a backup, according the pre backup application, but I did already switch to an old samsung phone to last until I get a replacement pre. Based on the last post not to do this, does this mean that I wont be able to log into my new pre and restore everything, including contacts?

Also, before going into Sprint, I did the support chat with Palm. Of course they had me try everything I'd already done, reboot, take battery out, etc. However, after a while when it appeared we weren't going to fix this, they asked, "Have you installed any homebrew apps." Since I'm sure they could log into my phone I didn't want to say no, but at the same time I figured, "here it comes, the reason they can't support me because I loaded unsupported, homebrew apps." I was pleasantly surprised though that after I fessed up to installing homebrew apps, they didn't end support. I did make the point I hadn't installed any in a few days though.

At any rate, thanks again for the tips and suggestions!
    Morgman, You'll be able to restore your Palm profile - including contacts - when you get your replacement Pre. My previous post about not being able to pull your contact list form the cloud was in reference to any non-Pre phone you might use in the interim - or permanently for that matter. You'll still lose any photos, homebrew apps (no big deal, probably new versions anyway) , mp3's or any other files on the bad Pre if you don't make your own back copy before the touchscreen goes completely and prevents you from using the USB cable.
    I am having the same problems as well!!!!!! Argh
  10.    #10  
    Yep, as suggested in forum, only fix was hardware swap out by Sprint. I was disappointed that the backup didn't include everything I thought it did. I lost pictures, music, etc. However, all the apps were backed (ones from Palm, not from home brew). From now on I'll do a USB backup too.

If you haven't turned yours into sprint yet I'd recommend plugging it into USB and copying everything off.

Has worked good since I got it back though.

Good luck.