Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had the same Pre since the day of release because unlike others I never had the battery problem, and the slight bit of slop in the slider was never an issue for me. Over all, I think the first build held up just fine for a while. The only issue I ran into was the power button not working any more. That was until this past weekend when I noticed something screwy going on. After a closer inspection the screen was cracked in starting on the bottom in the center near the button. It appears the screen under the screen cracked, because the outside is still mint. So, I'm heading to sprint today to get a new one. Just thought you guys would like to hear that not ALL original Pre's sucked.

Another thought, since the loss of the Pre I have swapped back to a Blackberry 8830, and I must say WOW! The keyboard feels sooooo much better that I actually like to text again. It's too bad Palm didn't incorporate a better keyboard into the Pre. Hopefully they get away from that damn rubber feel and give us real keys next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by white8785 View Post
    Just thought you guys would like to hear that not ALL original Pre's sucked.
    It's interesting that this was your stated purpose for posting, and yet you're talking about returning it for a screen crack and not liking the keyboard too much. Don't you expect your phone to last more than 5 months? Or did you crack it yourself?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    Well yeah, I would expect it to last longer, but it was probably my fault. I don't recall doing anything that would have cracked it that day, but I was working on my dirt bikes so it's very possible.

I've just seen a lot of postings talking about the build quality of the first go around, and even had a few friends complain. I hate seeing all of the bad stories out there, and thought I'd share one that wasn't so bad, ya know?

The keyboard does suck, but it's doable. Works better if you have nails, as to where the BB keyboad I can actually press with my thumbs instead of my thumb nail. Just an obervation, that's all.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I wish the keyboard was like the Blackberry curves.. I loved that keyboard.. I could pump out emails/text messages so much faster then I can with my Pre. =\
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    I wish the keyboard was like the Blackberry curves.. I loved that keyboard.. I could pump out emails/text messages so much faster then I can with my Pre. =\
    exactly. I am probably less than 30wpm on the pre, and above 60wpm on the bb. that's a biiiiig difference.
    who cares how many words per minute you type on a cell phone.
  7.    #7  
    apparently you care enough to respond. tends to help when responding to those corporate IT emails *** hole.
    not all original pre's sucked per you, but your original pre's screen cracked.

contradicting yourself much?
  9.    #9  
    How many people do you know still have the original unit that came out on release date? All of the reports said the build quality sucked, or there was this problem or that one. Didn't I say I believe my screen cracking was probably my fault? I believe I did.

How that is contradicting myself is beyond me.
    Dude there is no way you can type 60wpm on any phone.
  11.    #11  
    that was an estimated figure, but it's not far off. you'd be surprised at how fast some people can type on these things.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    How many people do you know still have the original unit that came out on release date? All of the reports said the build quality sucked, or there was this problem or that one. Didn't I say I believe my screen cracking was probably my fault? I believe I did.

Same pre I got on release day. Still very functional no issues. Now I have to find some wood to knock on.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Same pre I got on release day. Still very functional no issues. Now I have to find some wood to knock on.
    ha ha, yeah no ****. I thought for a first release and all of the issues I heard about that I was doing pretty well so far. good luck.

oh, and for the typing haters, here's just a quick search result for your reading:

Blackberry typing speed tester? (I type 65 WPM errorfree on Blackberry) - PDA street forums

still searching for a way to validate my claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    x2 still have the original pre... No issues... Some people beat up their phones too and thats not mentioned alot... People have to always rememeber a slider phone is alway going to be more delicate then something like a blackberry, thats a given.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    x2 still have the original pre... No issues... Some people beat up their phones too and thats not mentioned alot... People have to always rememeber a slider phone is alway going to be more delicate then something like a blackberry, thats a given.
    Please carve that into my mind, I beg you ..
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    still searching for a way to validate my claim.
    And a true WPM test would be with no predictive or shortcuts.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    well... you actually didnt say that you believed it was your fault until your second post when you talked about it in your original post. hence the replies you got.

the crack you have sounds like many others that have experienced cracking appearing just like yours... which is looking to be another build issue that the Pre is inflicted with. Not immediate like the other types of build issues you mentioned. but a new batch of problems that people seem to be reportings 5-6 months out now.

another one I have seen lately and we'll have to keep an eye on is more and more people posting that their touchsreens are dead without warning.

I guess if you mentioned that at the very top of your post it was your fault then people would have understood your original post. heck, people were actually giving you the benefit of the doubt it wasnt user induced. that's good eh? but i would guess it wasnt user induced... but that's your call and you can choose to tell sprint that and pay for a replacement if you like.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    My pre (from day 1) got stolen yesterday. Besides the the battery issue, the only problem I had was that the light was showing around the screen.

Besides that, I had no issues with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    Please carve that into my mind, I beg you ..
    Moving parts will fail... With about 99.9 percent of slider phones that ive had I will start to experience the wiggle after you break it in.. This phone my Touch pro etc have all had that problem.. TP was way worse though.. Now as far as the screen crack that looks like a build issue that the pre has.. Good thing that mines hasent had that problem.. I think its decent for a first generation device..

First generation iphones had a problem with dust getting under the screen somehow so first generation phones have issues sometimes.. Now if they dont start getting better by the second generations then thats when I have a problem
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 11/02/2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Moving parts will fail... With about 99.9 percent of slider phones that ive had I will start to experience the wiggle after you break it in.. This phone my Touch pro etc have all had that problem.. TP was way worse though.. Now as far as the screen crack that looks like a build issue that the pre has.. Good thing that mines hasent had that problem.. I think its decent for a first generation device..

First generation iphones had a problem with dust getting under the screen somehow so first generation phones have issues sometimes.. Now if they dont start getting better by the second generations then thats when I have a problem
    Yeah .. If I want the Pre; I guess I'm going to have to accept that fact, unfortunately.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast