Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    If i was Palm, it'd be early next year on Verizon. If not a Pre 2, then certainly a form factor that ups both the Droid and iphone on specs.

    I think its a mistake if Palm concedes the top spot on verizon to the Droid. And simply releasing a current Pre won't do it. At least give a fight.

    I know many on here assume next May or June before this kind of crazy talk, but who wrote that rule? If Palm tries to play by the rules Apple created, they may as well pack it up.

    I know sprint Pre users would be like "where's our Pre 2" and Palm wouldn't do that to them. IMO, screw em. They had the exclusive already and two webOS devices. Android is the one writing the rules now. Here people were bragging about switching to a 1.6 Hero and before the pastry can even dry, here comes 2.0 Droid.
  2. #2  
    I would be amazed if they released the exact same piece of hardware on Verizon after the Droid family hits. Regardless of the missteps I've perceived Palm to make, I just couldn't see them being that dense. 2010 is a completely different competitive landscape than June of 2009, especially on Verizon.

    Blackberries will always blanket that network, and when sales get low, it's Buy One Get One Free time. Pre can't compete with that. Verizon is now putting money and their very branding identity behind the Droid family, and they're locked into a partnership with Motorola and Google on that front. And the Droid family of products absolutely immolate the Pre/Pixi line on both price points.

    So if/when WebOS makes it to Verizon, it's gotta be on different specs, and maybe different hardware altogether. I'd be interested to see what shape it's in after passing Verizon's infamously difficult internal smartphone testing.

    As for Sprint getting a Pre 2, it's baked into the cake. Just like AT&T is really the only game in town for iPhone, Sprint is the only carrier that will really give the Pre some love. To a much lesser degree, they tied their branding identity in with the Pre with the recent Now network commercials, so I expect this is going to happen one way or the other.

    I would definitely agree that another June launch would be a mistake. You saw how the 3GS alone overshadowed them this time. What happens if HTC launches the Dragon around that time AND the HTC HD 2 makes it over here in some official subsidized fashion? Palm wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise.

    The next bit of hardware should launch on Sprint (and Verizon) no later than April 2010. Just my opinion, but I don't see Palm surviving another generation if they wait later than that.
  3. #3  
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand just as I wrote that, Boy Genius posts this:

    Verizon to aim for the smartphone crown Boy Genius Report

    Good luck to the current Pre thriving on Verizon in 3 months among THAT lineup.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I would be amazed if they released the exact same piece of hardware on Verizon after the Droid family hits. Regardless of the missteps I've perceived Palm to make, I just couldn't see them being that dense. 2010 is a completely different competitive landscape than June of 2009, especially on Verizon.

    Blackberries will always blanket that network, and when sales get low, it's Buy One Get One Free time. Pre can't compete with that. Verizon is now putting money and their very branding identity behind the Droid family, and they're locked into a partnership with Motorola and Google on that front. And the Droid family of products absolutely immolate the Pre/Pixi line on both price points.

    So if/when WebOS makes it to Verizon, it's gotta be on different specs, and maybe different hardware altogether. I'd be interested to see what shape it's in after passing Verizon's infamously difficult internal smartphone testing.

    As for Sprint getting a Pre 2, it's baked into the cake. Just like AT&T is really the only game in town for iPhone, Sprint is the only carrier that will really give the Pre some love. To a much lesser degree, they tied their branding identity in with the Pre with the recent Now network commercials, so I expect this is going to happen one way or the other.

    I would definitely agree that another June launch would be a mistake. You saw how the 3GS alone overshadowed them this time. What happens if HTC launches the Dragon around that time AND the HTC HD 2 makes it over here in some official subsidized fashion? Palm wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise.

    The next bit of hardware should launch on Sprint (and Verizon) no later than April 2010. Just my opinion, but I don't see Palm surviving another generation if they wait later than that.
    While I agree with your logic, and I think it would be nice to see an upgraded Pre on Verizon, possibly even necessary, I just can't see Palm pulling it off. The pipeline seems to be running at about 5-6 month intervals. No doubt the Pre 2 is already well underway, but I don't see it coming until perhaps March or April at the earliest. January is too fast coming on the heels of the Pixi. I expect a tepid launch on Verizon for the Pre, with little marketing support from either Verizon or Palm. But simple audience expansion should still help Palm sell more units.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand just as I wrote that, Boy Genius posts this:

    Verizon to aim for the smartphone crown Boy Genius Report

    Good luck to the current Pre thriving on Verizon in 3 months among THAT lineup.
    Sprint, not Palm, are the ones who should be worried about that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  6. Shado.F's Avatar
    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Sprint, not Palm, are the ones who should be worried about that.
    Actually Palm should be worried as well. It's how their phone sells in certain carriers as well that benefits them.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    While I agree with your logic, and I think it would be nice to see an upgraded Pre on Verizon, possibly even necessary, I just can't see Palm pulling it off. The pipeline seems to be running at about 5-6 month intervals. No doubt the Pre 2 is already well underway, but I don't see it coming until perhaps March or April at the earliest. January is too fast coming on the heels of the Pixi. I expect a tepid launch on Verizon for the Pre, with little marketing support from either Verizon or Palm. But simple audience expansion should still help Palm sell more units.
    Then again, it'd make no sense to launch a Pre on verizon and then a Pre version two a few months later.

    As some folks like to point out, those hardware designers have been finished with the first Pre for quite a while.

    Honestly though, i'm not sure what real improvements could be made to the Pre to make it better. The guts are fine. It's the housing that's the problem. Still can't put a glass screen on that thing too easily. The touchstone back needed might be a constraint.

    Besides what kind of name is Pre 2? Pre v.2? Maybe Palm is better off letting that name (Pre) mean something and has something else in mind for a higher end device. One could hope..
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Sprint, not Palm, are the ones who should be worried about that.
    I don't think so, actually. Sprint was always going to be the middle child on Android, given that T-Mobile went first and Verizon was last. Hero and Moment are "good enough" to keep most people from switching to Verizon and paying a higher bill just to run Android a bit faster with the Droid.

    Verizon was always the preferred Blackberry CDMA carrier. Nothing new there. Sprint will still definitely get HTC's hottest CDMA stuff before Verizon, and will likely get new WebOS handsets as well.

    I think if anyone should be worried, it's T-Mobile. How sad does their lineup look right now?
  9. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #9  
    Whatever phone a carrier highlights as their latest and greatest is not the only one they sell. The fact that Verizon will have the Droid on the shelves doesn't mean nobody would by the Pre.
  10. #10  
    Screw Verizon.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Whatever phone a carrier highlights as their latest and greatest is not the only one they sell. The fact that Verizon will have the Droid on the shelves doesn't mean nobody would by the Pre.
    Nobody buy the Pre? Of course not. But the Droid being well-entrenched on Verizon months before the Pre can get there is a problem. Even if they were on equal footing specs-wise - which they most certainly are not - a lot of people who were interested in the Pre on Verizon simply because it was a new cool OS with touchscreen hardware are going to get the Droid because:

    1) it's there
    2) has superior specs
    3) Comes with free Nav whereas the Verizon Pre will not
    4) also has a new cool OS but has way more apps
    5) Verizon salespeople will be hawking this something fierce

    So when the Pre lands, a lot of its potential Verizon customers will be locked into new contracts for the Droid Eris and Droid. Or even the Blackberry Storm 2 (tee hee), which is part of their current Buy One Get One Free offer, I believe.

    Sure some people will really want WebOS and are willing to wait to try it out, but only the diehards are going to brush aside Verizon's holiday lineup for a somewhat dated (by that time) Pre. It's not a good look.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Nobody buy the Pre? Of course not. But the Droid being well-entrenched on Verizon months before the Pre can get there is a problem.
    ...
    So when the Pre lands, a lot of its potential Verizon customers will be locked into new contracts for the Droid Eris and Droid. Or even the Blackberry Storm 2 (tee hee), which is part of their current Buy One Get One Free offer, I believe.

    Sure some people will really want WebOS and are willing to wait to try it out, but only the diehards are going to brush aside Verizon's holiday lineup for a somewhat dated (by that time) Pre. It's not a good look.
    Contracts are (obviously) cyclical. Those that were locked into a contract over the Droid will be made up for by those just now coming off a contract being wowe'd by the "look what's new on Verizon" factor. The Droid will be "old news" to many Verizon user by then.

    I suspect that we will be seeing updates to WebOS before it's available from Verizon.

    Regardless, even if it only means a small increase in sales, that's a good thing.

Posting Permissions