1.    #1  
    Can ANYone please tell me if the calendar will be updated soon to perform as it should have from day one? Any insiders out there? Palm or Sprint reps with ANY inside info? I am telling you.....any day now this thing is going up on ebay and an HTC Hero with my name on it is waiting for me at my local Sprint store. VERY frustrating to love ALmost everything about my Pre, except for the PAINfully slow calendar and the inability to customize the events with colors (not all of us do facebook, google, etc. Some of us loved our Treos!), and the inability to set custom reminder time and alerts. So..can ANYone help me to hang onto this thing just a bit longer????
    Well, if you define "perform as it should have from day one" as:
    1. Not painfully slow switching days
    2. Ability to customize events with colors
    3. Ability to set custom reminder time and alerts

then I think:
    1. Good chance Palm will improve on this. Not sure why they haven't yet. I'd personally like to see database access speed up across the board. There doesn't seem to be any inherent reason why switching days should be slow.
    2. I doubt you'll ever get this. Palm changed up calendar philosophies on you in the switch from Treo to Pre. Don't go looking for categories either. I don't think they're coming back. You might try setting up multiple calendars in Google and see how you like it.
    3. I'm thinking this might come. I'd kind of like that myself. Not sure where it should be in Palm's list of priorities, though.

You can always send Palm direct feedback with nice details about how you think things should work. They do apparently (according to Chuq) read such things. Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the link to Palm. And yes...categories would be nice! I'm not a 'layered, synergy" type of guy. And "painfully slow", as you are aware, is an understatement! Be well, and thanks!
    Hi all, I am trying to find a calendar with US holidays on it
    tat
    I like the Ubercalendar patch. It made my all day events color coded so now I can see my days off when I set up a series.

works pretty well now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    I like the Ubercalendar patch. It made my all day events color coded so now I can see my days off when I set up a series.

works pretty well now.
    +1 OP i would def recommend that patch
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djamakan View Post
    Hi all, I am trying to find a calendar with US holidays on it
    You can add these to one of your Google calendars through the "regular" computer site under the options.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    You can add these to one of your Google calendars through the "regular" computer site under the options.
    Even if you're opposed to having your calendar on Google, you can still use it just for US holidays. There are some other useful public calendars too, such as weather forecast.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I personally think anyone involved in the original PIM functions of WebOS should be flogged.

Yes, many people use Exchange or Google Calendar. Improving the speed should help there. But people also like to restore, export, etc. My 10 year old Palm device could restore thousands of calendar events in SECONDS, faster than it takes to display a month in WebOS. I could sync it with Palm desktop, my outlook calendar (without exchange), my Mac, etc. I used to use it to transfer contacts and calendars from one machine to another. It was the slickest, fastest sync option out there.

Synergy assumes you are either a corporate user using Exchange (and how many large corporations allow WebOS?) or using Google (and who doesn't have an issue putting personal data there, or works for a corporation that lets you?). So corporate users are effectively locked out of Synergy, as well as people concerned with privacy. Oh, and users who have lots of data (the desktop transfer assistant utility chokes with large amounts). And users who want to be able to export data. Or import using vCal... Or on a Mac (Missing Sync chokes every other week, and requires a reinstall, then a 1.5 hour process to transfer...).

Sigh.

I love Palm/HP, WebOS, but this is killing me.

For 2.0, the Calendar features I would like to see:
    1. A better import facility that does not require Google as a middleman.
    2. A better transfer facility for legacy Palm users that assumes they have thousands of entries.
    3. A month/week view that shows text, colors
    4. Maybe the ability to group entries into catagories (work, family, etc.)? The multiple calendar aspect sort of does this.
    5. Add BIRTHDAYS!!!! Synergy grabs a bunch of stuff from Facebook, but ignores this?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    ka1, I totally agree! They should have made the calendar function like PalmOS with a modern interface! Not sure why they felt the need to blow up PalmOS
    I came from previous iterations of Palm devices, and I, too, loved the calendar with color-coded categories. I could see generally what was up at a glance - oops, I have a medical appointment (red) coming up next week - what is that? Now they say, "well, use Google for this, and yahoo for that, and Outlook for this other." Why don't we all just go back to carrying around a ton of stickies with our appointments on them? I thought the idea of keeping a calendar - digital or otherwise - was to have everything in one place and be organized. With multiple calendars (even if they do eventually show up in the same place), what's to keep you from over-scheduling, or double- or triple-scheduling or just plain forgetting altogether because you thought it was on that "other calendar?" Makes absolutely NO sense to me! Give me back ONE calendar with categories!!! (And please don't jump all over me for wanting what I want, this is just what works for me.)

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    I came from previous iterations of Palm devices, and I, too, loved the calendar with color-coded categories. I could see generally what was up at a glance - oops, I have a medical appointment (red) coming up next week - what is that? Now they say, "well, use Google for this, and yahoo for that, and Outlook for this other." Why don't we all just go back to carrying around a ton of stickies with our appointments on them? I thought the idea of keeping a calendar - digital or otherwise - was to have everything in one place and be organized. With multiple calendars (even if they do eventually show up in the same place), what's to keep you from over-scheduling, or double- or triple-scheduling or just plain forgetting altogether because you thought it was on that "other calendar?" Makes absolutely NO sense to me! Give me back ONE calendar with categories!!! (And please don't jump all over me for wanting what I want, this is just what works for me.)
    The issue with all these similar comments is that I think you guys are not understanding that Palm with webOS has made shift in how they want their OS and the apps that are run on it to work. They see technology moving towards the cloud. So when they developed their apps they prioritized how the apps would work with cloud based applications. Personally, I love the way Palm implemented it but of course I use an EAS account and google a lot. Maybe someone could develop a calender app that works like the old PalmOS calender.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    The issue with all these similar comments is that I think you guys are not understanding that Palm with webOS has made shift in how they want their OS and the apps that are run on it to work. They see technology moving towards the cloud. So when they developed their apps they prioritized how the apps would work with cloud based applications. Personally, I love the way Palm implemented it but of course I use an EAS account and google a lot. Maybe someone could develop a calender app that works like the old PalmOS calender.
    What I understand about "the cloud" is that "the computer" works better at this time and many people do not, nor have never used Exchange or Google calendar. They had a loyal base with an excellent product and turned their backs. You are 100% correct that they need a calendar app that works like PalmOS, and not the classic app either. They should have allowed for a choice of the cloud or old fashioned hot sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by therat33 View Post
    What I understand about "the cloud" is that "the computer" works better at this time and many people do not, nor have never used Exchange or Google calendar. They had a loyal base with an excellent product and turned their backs. You are 100% correct that they need a calendar app that works like PalmOS, and not the classic app either. They should have allowed for a choice of the cloud or old fashioned hot sync.
    You don't have to use EAS or Google, you can use your Palm Profile account if you want.

I have a pretty heavy calendar and I have no problems. Most of my appointments are accepted and created on a desktop though.

I like the way the calendar is implemented personally. Desktop syncing is not my thing.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    Using the palm profile never even occured to me. Everyone in my house uses google, and we have a family calendar, so we can all modify it and the changes are all color coded by person and automagicly synced. coming from blackberry, I love the Pre calendar.
    Am I the only one who desperately wants the calendar to be searchable? I have about 12 years of history in my calendar, and there are times I'd love to get some help from my Pre's calendar in remembering some event from my past. To me this is the biggest problem with the current Pre calendar.
    Installing Agenda does make the calendar kinda searchable.
    It lets you choose a time bracket/interval, all calendar events within are displayed and a search-as-you-type filter can be applied.

Works pretty well although large time brackets take some time to display and too large a time bracket doesn't display anythin at all (keeps searching).

An interval of two to three years has worked pretty well on my device.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    are you serious? with ubercalendar and agenda, there's really nothing more you need. it's as good as the iphone's or any other calendar i have seen. i sync w/ 4 exchange accounts 2 google accounts no problems.