1.    #1  
    I just picked up a new Imac and when I tried to plug my charging stone nothing happened. When I connected the USB directly to my phone it started to charge. Does anyone know how I might be able to get my Stone working with the IMAc?

I also had a problem with my Sirius SL 100 docking station. Tried to plug the headphone jack output into the audio input on the imac. The Sound preferences show that the Mac is receiving the audio signal (it flashes back and forth when plugged in) however I cannot get it to play through the Mac speakers. I tried via the docking station and the SL 100 directly. Any help appreciated. Sorry for posting this here but the person who reads part 1 above may have an idea.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    The Touchstone only works if it's plugged into an electrical outlet. It won't work if you plug it into a USB port.
    the USB port just doesn't put out enough "power" for the touchstone to work. I think a USB port only supplies up to 500 mA and the touchstone needs at least 1000. Maybe it would work off an externally powered USB hub, but by then what would be the point?
    this is a [silly] thing not being able to charge off of the USB or when my pre gets DEAD i have to plug the wire into it the toucchstone doesnt work
    Last edited by pogeypre; 11/01/2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanjfaber View Post
    this is a [silly] thing not being able to charge off of the USB or when my pre gets DEAD i have to plug the wire into it the toucchstone doesnt work
    You can charge off the USB port, just not via the Touchstone. The inductive charging process is a bit lossy, so you need more going into it to get the same current into the Pre.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 11/01/2009 at 09:36 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanjfaber View Post
    Well maybe, but its not something Palm can just fix, its just a matter of the way our physical world works. The way computer USB ports are (standardized, not under Palm's control), and the way inductive charging works (fact of nature, study electrical engineering to learn more about it) simply doesn't allow for it.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gkouri View Post
    I just picked up a new Imac and when I tried to plug my charging stone nothing happened. When I connected the USB directly to my phone it started to charge. Does anyone know how I might be able to get my Stone working with the IMAc?
    Had you looked at the instructions that came with the TouchStone, you would have already known that it doesn't work off of a usb port.
    I've got a theory about this. I agree the problem is the power of the PC USB port, but how about using one of those double Female ended leads that portable USB Hard Drives have to use to bump up the power?

I've ordered a Mini USB - to - Micro USB adaptors, so when it arrives I'll let you know the result.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I've got a theory about this. I agree the problem is the power of the PC USB port, but how about using one of those double Female ended leads that portable USB Hard Drives have to use to bump up the power?

I've ordered a Mini USB - to - Micro USB adaptors, so when it arrives I'll let you know the result.
    Don't you mean, "double-male" ended? You're talking about using two usb ports on a computer with the same cable right?
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    Don't you mean, "double-male" ended? You're talking about using two usb ports on a computer with the same cable right?
    Yes and Yes
    Thought of the day :
    Yes and Yes
    It did not work

On one PC the TS did start to charge, but it ony lasted a few seconds, so unless I can hook up to 3 USB ports ...
    Thought of the day :
    The Y cable won't work because the touchstone needs to see the data lines shorted together so it knows it's plugged into a high current port rather than a data port. You could mod the Y cable, but that's a lot of work. Why not, you know, just use the AC adapter that came with your touchstone to plug it into instead of your PC...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Ohm's Law is why it worn't work.

It did not work

On one PC the TS did start to charge, but it ony lasted a few seconds, so unless I can hook up to 3 USB ports ...
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    ... Why not, you know, just use the AC adapter that came with your touchstone to plug it into instead of your PC...
    The good old Why ? question.

Well why not

OK, to give you a sensible answer. In my office, the nearest available power socket is 20 mts away.

So I either have to have an extension lead to get the TS on my work desk, or use another mains adaptor/splitter under my desk, or have my TS 20mts away from my desk.

Or if the TS would work off an USB ...
    Plus if the TS worked off a USB and I needed to sync media files with the Pre, I would only need to unplug the TS and plug the micro end into my Pre, saving another USB lead purchase.

So that's why. No great shakes, but if it worked it would have been nice
    Thought of the day :
    OK, to give you a sensible answer. In my office, the nearest available power socket is 20 mts away.
    Okay, that's fair.

Or if the TS would work off an USB ...
    Then your Pre would either take a lot longer to charge or the Touchstone would cost a lot more and still only charge half as fast as it does with an AC adapter.

Why? Because until negotiated with the host a USB device can only pull 100mA max without being non-compliant, and Palm wouldn't want to market a non-compliant device. Even if they upped the cost of the Touchstone by adding a cpu to negotiate for 500mA, the max available on a data port, it still wouldn't charge as fast as their USB Battery Charging Specifcation compliant AC adapter sourcing 1000mA...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer