Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok.... So I have been paying attention to the apps I use and looking over what I used when I end up getting the "Too many cards open" error when I have no cards open.... I have had this happen 2 times in the last week. Both times were very soon after I used the app catalog..... To see if my observation was correct I restarted my phone so I had cleared all memory and running apps. All I did was start the app catalog and browse a few categories then close it. Within a few hours I got the error.

I have stayed aways from using the app catalog and the error is gone.
    try loading the fair dinkum app it may be of some help to your problem , also look for the extra cards patch, in web os patches feed it will help as well
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    try loading the fair dinkum app it may be of some help to your problem , also look for the extra cards patch, in web os patches feed it will help as well
    Yeah... I have fair dinkum installed and also used mvapp to move all I could. This is not related to installing apps rather I am fairly sure the app catalog has a memory leak.
    well if you would like i could send you the extra cards patch it may help, i dont think its in preware yet
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    any idea when the patch is coming to preware?
    Just install it through QI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Just install it through QI.
    where did you find it at ,the ipk that is??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    well if you would like i could send you the extra cards patch it may help, i dont think its in preware yet
    If there is a patch that addresses this I would love to try it out. Where can I find it? Or will it be in preware soon?
    yea I heard bout that patch too! Can anyone please give more info bout this, maybe a link or somthing
    I've had this problem as well. Can't open any card, so I couldn't even restart it through device info. Had to turn it off using the power button. I think I had also been browsing the app catalog a few hours earlier.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I am having the exact same problem, but didn't realize it was related to the App catalog until right now. I guess since there haven't been any apps yet that I would actually pay for anyway, I'll just stay away from the catalog and see if it helps. (No offense to the app developers, just haven't seen any apps I want that cost money. Lots of good homebrews, though.)
  12. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I've had this happen twice in as many days.
    I've done some updating to some homebrews through QI and preware and changed themes,but I have not been to the app catalog at all.
    I've had to pull the battery to reset.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'm seeing the same thing recently. Note I stress recently. I had not seen this kind of behavior until, oh, maybe the past 2-3 weeks. I thought this might be my imagination, but I'm now convinced that something's wrong.

Legitimately, I should get the "too many cards" message when I have at least one or more cards open. Legitimately, I should never get this when I have zero cards open. I can think of a few scenarios:

1) The most recent Palm upgrade has a memory leak. I generally take Palm upgrades as soon as they occur. I can't remember when the last one came out, but I'm on webOS v1.2.1. Has anyone seen a problem with this release?

2) Some homebrew or appcatalog app has a memory leak. I suspected that QuickContacts was at fault (since they started appearing back about when the last release or so came out), but I have stayed away from it the past week or so and yet I still see this issue. I also suspected Classic. In general, I have been trying to limit the number of homebrew apps I have been running so that I can pinpoint the culprit, but have seen nothing reproducible.

3) Something is eating (and retaining) memory. Just a growth over time. Like, maybe keeping a lot of text message conversations eats up memory. This falls apart, however, in that closed cards should give up any memory allocated, and I would expect the stock webOS apps to do this.

I dunno. I am actually finding myself getting MORE frustrated with the Pre than when I first got it. I am an early adopter type and I knew I would have issues with the Pre when I got it. I expected it and accepted it. But lately it seems to be going down hill. Fast. Slow response. Poor support from Palm for obvious fixes (max number of apps allowed, etc), and now this having to soft reset every 2-3 days. It's not good, people.

I welcome other observations that would help us find this problem. It smells like a memory leak issue. I'd really like to nuke it.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by bbergmanvc View Post
    I'm seeing the same thing recently. Note I stress recently. I had not seen this kind of behavior until, oh, maybe the past 2-3 weeks. I thought this might be my imagination, but I'm now convinced that something's wrong.

Legitimately, I should get the "too many cards" message when I have at least one or more cards open. Legitimately, I should never get this when I have zero cards open. I can think of a few scenarios:

1) The most recent Palm upgrade has a memory leak. I generally take Palm upgrades as soon as they occur. I can't remember when the last one came out, but I'm on webOS v1.2.1. Has anyone seen a problem with this release?

2) Some homebrew or appcatalog app has a memory leak. I suspected that QuickContacts was at fault (since they started appearing back about when the last release or so came out), but I have stayed away from it the past week or so and yet I still see this issue. I also suspected Classic. In general, I have been trying to limit the number of homebrew apps I have been running so that I can pinpoint the culprit, but have seen nothing reproducible.

3) Something is eating (and retaining) memory. Just a growth over time. Like, maybe keeping a lot of text message conversations eats up memory. This falls apart, however, in that closed cards should give up any memory allocated, and I would expect the stock webOS apps to do this.

I dunno. I am actually finding myself getting MORE frustrated with the Pre than when I first got it. I am an early adopter type and I knew I would have issues with the Pre when I got it. I expected it and accepted it. But lately it seems to be going down hill. Fast. Slow response. Poor support from Palm for obvious fixes (max number of apps allowed, etc), and now this having to soft reset every 2-3 days. It's not good, people.

I welcome other observations that would help us find this problem. It smells like a memory leak issue. I'd really like to nuke it.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    I also have this issue.

I have the fairdunkan tweak installed and will look for the MvApp one as well.

Mine has also started a couple of weeks ago.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    From what I've read, there's a leak in LunaSysMgr itself (which basically does everything) and so either rebooting every so often or using Luna Manager from homebrew to restart Luna will fix that.
  16. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    How often would you suggest a Luna reset?
    Hard to believe all the sudden this error would show when I've had my phone and LunaSysMgr has always been ok

Hmmmm
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR1 View Post
    Hard to believe all the sudden this error would show when I've had my phone and LunaSysMgr has always been ok

Hmmmm
    Agreed. Unless this is a regression that came out with the last release, it seems unlikely that this bug has been there since the start. Trust me, I would definitely have noticed it before now. Perhaps it's something introduced in the last release?

Interesting that more folks are now reporting this. Hmmmm.

thanks,
    bruce
  18. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Which brings up another point about the possibility of it being Luna.
    If it were 1.2.1 and LunaSys I think everyone would have had it happen by now.

I think a posting of apps and patches from us who have had this error we might find a commonality and could go from there?

On that note, I should mention that I've run the emergency patch restorer on mine just over an hour ago, and if I understand correctly, cleans system of all patches.
    And according to Device management in QI it appears to have done just that.

So I'll see what happens, maybe it's one of the patches? i'll give it a day.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Anyone else using Switcharoo?
    The latest update says it fixes a memory leak issue causing this problem.
    Just updated mine today. We'll see what happens
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  20. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    well I think that is probably it.
    for one removing patches wasn't it, as it did it to me again this A.M.
    and two I just started using Switcha roo a few days ago.
    i'll update and confirm.

thanks for the info
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast