1.    #1  
    I have just bought a Palm Pre unlocked. When I turn it on, it recognizes my SIM card, G and E (EVDO), but wont let me create an Palm Profile. Always ends telling me to go to Palm/support. Is there a way to create a palm profile from the S Emulator, or in a similar way?
    Thanks in advance
    MK
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Are you in the UK?
    If so, put an O2 UK SIM card in there, activate, take out O2 SIM card, then carry on as you were.
  3.    #3  
    Unfortunately I am in Chile!!
    Thanks for your answer
    find someone to send you an o2 uk sim card then ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    webOS Meta-Doctor should help your issue, but that only runs on Linux.
  6.    #6  
    If I could get a O2 UK SIM, should it work inChile with roaming?

regards
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    If your Pre originates from UK, then it is worth getting the O2 UK SIM card.

If your Pre originates from Germany, it is believed that using a German O2 SIM card will allow for activation.

In essence, a SIM card from the Pre's country of original should do the trick, going off the posts in other threads.

Hope that helps,
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I have a different theory, that this problem is because the phone wont allow you to send the form while roaming or when the phone thinks that its roaming.

Over here the 3G net is shared among different operators and for some reason while in 3G the Pre think that its roaming. Since auto selection for 2G/3G is on by default and data roaming is off its not until I go out of 3G coverage that the Pre switch to 2G. While in 2G there are no problems sending the activation since the carrier settings in the Pre are the correct ones for my operator.

So im just guessing here but I think any SIM from an operator that is already added to the database will work for activation as long as the settings are correct for the data communication.

Just an idea.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    webOS Meta-Doctor should help your issue, but that only runs on Linux.
    Linux is as close as a LiveCD or VirtualBox (you've already got that for the emulator) session away.

I personally run the Meta-Doctor in a virtual Ubuntu machine under the same virtualbox installation that runs the Pre and Pixi emulators.

There is simply no reason for people to say "oh, I can't do that cause I run windows" or "I can't do that cause I run MacOSX" or "I can't do that cause I run Linux".

Operating systems are tools. You should use the right one for the job. If the outcome you desire is to run the Meta-Doctor, then the right tool for the job at the moment is Linux, and it can be run natively using a LiveCD or virtually on Windows or MacOSX using VirtualBox.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #10  
    I was very lucky. A friend coming from England, lend me for a moment his O2 SIM car, and I was able to register 2 Palm Pre. Then I inserted my chilean SIM, and worked OK.

My Pres were bought in Ebay, and came with German Manuals.

So, roaming, works for creating a Palm Profile, and people who can use a SIM card from O2 just to activate and create a profile, without flashing the ROM, here is a way.

Regards, and thanks everybody.
    Just to clarify, when you say O2 SIM, is that literally *any* SIM from O2? Like the free ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Linux is as close as a LiveCD or VirtualBox (you've already got that for the emulator) session away.

I personally run the Meta-Doctor in a virtual Ubuntu machine under the same virtualbox installation that runs the Pre and Pixi emulators.

There is simply no reason for people to say "oh, I can't do that cause I run windows" or "I can't do that cause I run MacOSX" or "I can't do that cause I run Linux".

Operating systems are tools. You should use the right one for the job. If the outcome you desire is to run the Meta-Doctor, then the right tool for the job at the moment is Linux, and it can be run natively using a LiveCD or virtually on Windows or MacOSX using VirtualBox.

Very true, but I figure someone who doesn't know how to get a LiveCD up already probably has no business messing with compiling from the source anyway.
  13.    #13  
    I don't know if any SIM O2 card will do the trick. I can for sure tell you what worked with me, and it was a SIM from UK belonging to a person that has a plan. If I had to guess, I would say any card should work.

regards
    I have the same issue, when I bought the Pre from O2 Shop in Germany, it works fine and the profile activated, and once I went back home (Libya) I switch to my local provider, Also It works fine, then after a few weeks I was trying to install a new theme, it got stocked during transferring the files to my Pre, then It said I need to restore it to the factory settings, then I got in this trap (Profile activation).

I did as you mentioned above, Switch back to my O2 German SIM Card, and nothing happened, it seems the German O2 doesn't pick our provider's network (It shows No Service-SOS only on the top left of the Pre screen).

I'm not Linux Geek to go through tons of steps, and I'm wondering if there is any other solution for this disaster.

I'm a big fan of Palm but with this I got frustrated.

Please help.

Neso
    Guys, in this post I have requested a help, and now I manage to resolve it using Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

All credit goes to rwhitby for his support.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Hey i bought a Palm Pre off ebay and i am stuck at the Creating Palm Profile screen. Since the guy who sold me has disconnected the phone from network already it isn't possible for me to create a new profile. Please help me bypass this step. I'm not a linux guy so excuse me here. Rwhitby seems to be the only guy who can help at the moment ...

I'm planning to flash this phone to MetroPCS and use it in there .... Where can i flash my phone in NYC? I've been hearing it isn't possible. Please help as I am in great need for a phone i guess....
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hmm, I'm in the UK and puzzled by the suggestion of using an O2 simcard.

I have an O2 Palm which I bought from somebody as I have an O2 SIMcard with a contract and data plan and I thought I could just put in my O2 Sim and all would be well. However I still can't activate. I do get an adequate amount of network strength showing but even in areas where there is Edge or 3G it doesn't show up on the device. I have also tried 2 other O2 SIM cards(from a blackberry and an iPhone) with similar results. I'm told that you not only have to have an O2 UK Sim, but that Sim has to be on a Palm Pre tariff for it to register on 3G or Edge which you need to activate the Pre. It is possible that it will activate overseas though where it may pick up 3G whilst roaming, so I'm going to try it when I'm in France in 10 days.

In the meantime I have used Metadoctor to bypass the activation and have got it all operating on WiFi - but it won't activate via WiFi

Any insights welcome