Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre started rebooting every time I slid it closed. I read here about the battery issue, so I took it the Sprint today, They were very nice, and said of course it was a known issue and replaced the battery, and cleaned the contacts.

All was fine..

Came home, and now its telling me it wants to do an WebOs update to 1.2.1, which IS the current OS I have, and even verified with Device Info.

My questions is, should I let it? IF I do, do I need to go thru the Patch Removal deal first?

And, naturally THIS happens today, 16 hours before I need to travel and be away working for the entire next week, and really dont have time to start messing with re creating my phone..

Grrr

Any help/suggestions/pity?

Thjanks
    Diane
    I'll have to search for the thread, but from what I remember, your problem is caused by a homebrew app (probably My Tether) which changes things at the root directory, as opposed to using something like Preware which installs apps in a different directory.

When your Pre checks for updates, the changes in the root directory causes it to think it needs an update when it really doesn't. From what I remember reading, the only fix is to WebOS doctor your phone.

I just read this within the past few days, I'll see if I can locate the thread that talks about it....or maybe someone can find it first.

There was speculation about the actual cause because some people were using My Tether without having the update issue.

Edit: Here is a thread that discusses it....you may want to check the last few pages.

Edit2: Or see the post below mine.
    Last edited by Trekker; 11/01/2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added link
  3.    #4  
    Well thats all well and good, but I have not installed a new homebrew, or used mytether in a few weeks and it was just fine.

Until I went and got the new battery.

I so do NOT want to Dr it back to scratch, and especially today, getting ready to leave.

Would it be a reasonable work around to just keep saying no the update question, when I charge, until I have more time to mess with it after next week?

It would not attemtp the update if not charging would it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Would it be a reasonable work around to just keep saying no the update question, when I charge, until I have more time to mess with it after next week?
    I would think so. If you're only going to be gone a week, you would probably be ok just ignoring it until you have more time to research and fix the problem.

It would not attemtp the update if not charging would it?
    I'm not sure about that. I've had my Pre tell me an update was available when it was off the charger. I don't know if it would actually try to install it though.
    How many days did Palm set it to force the update after first notification? 5 days? 7 days? Will you be back by then? That would stink if it forces you while you are away.

Isn't there a hombrew solution that disables autoupdate? you can install it and then be safe for the time away and doctor it when you get back. or does this glitch override it?

Even though you have not installed anything new... maybe this has been the first time the phone has been powered off since your installing something? guess once it rebooted and the phone reestablished your phone connection, it also went through a system check of some kind and whammo!

There doesnt seem to be a solid fix for it and dont think you will get a solid answer except either doctor it or wait and hope. Comes down to how secure you feel it wont update and mess up your phone while away. Do you have a spare phone?

If its a phone that you depend on for business, I would doctor it and leave it standard... tweaking it and patching and stuff like that is just not good for phones you depend on for business
  6.    #7  
    its just sooo strange. I have not tinkered with it at ALL in weeks.

It has been powering off, becasue of the battery issue, so its not like its not been down, then booted back up.

I did call Sprint Adv Tech, and they "said" (which I dont really believe) it could be because the battery was changed, and the new battery needs to be like registered or synched with the OS? (I kinda doubt thats true, but its a good made up answer)

I guess one of the nights after work when Im sitting in my hotel bored, I could save my media, and try to list what I have on it, so I can redo it all, then doctor it, and see what happens. But Blachhh WHO really wants to do that??

Ughhh
    I did call Sprint Adv Tech, and they "said" (which I dont really believe) it could be because the battery was changed, and the new battery needs to be like registered or synched with the OS?
    Wow...what an *****. Sorry, but I can't think of a more politically correct description that would be as accurate. No wonder Sprint has the lousy rep that it does. They've EARNED it!

I guess one of the nights after work when Im sitting in my hotel bored, I could save my media, and try to list what I have on it, so I can redo it all, then doctor it, and see what happens.
    Well, since a new update is rumored to be coming out sometime this month, I just went into Preware and copied down all my installed patches, etc. to notepad so I'll know which ones I'll need to re-install.

If you have any pics, you could back them up to your PC first. You could probably have the whole process done within an hour or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Wow...what an *****. Sorry, but I can't think of a more politically correct description that would be as accurate. No wonder Sprint has the lousy rep that it does. They've EARNED it!
    +1
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

9.    #10  

Well, since a new update is rumored to be coming out sometime this month, I just went into Preware and copied down all my installed patches, etc. to notepad so I'll know which ones I'll need to re-install.

If you have any pics, you could back them up to your PC first. You could probably have the whole process done within an hour or two.
    Hmm you just gave me a good idea... to just do screen captures from preware of my patches , so all I have to do is save all my pictures, including screen caps, and then doctor, the just reinstall preware, etc..

I still wont do this until I am safely tucked away in my hotel, and have some time.. the night before travel, is stressful enough

(Im traveling for work for over 12 years and STILL stress and HATE Sunday night before travel *sigh*)
    In a previous thread, disabling the update daemon was discussed. You can use Terminal (from Preware) to disable it also:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

Then reset your phone or just type

Code:

killall UpdateDaemon

To re enable, use:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

and then reset your phone.
    Actually it's quite common in technical care to make up a "sounds plausible" reason for something when the alternative is telling the customer something they don't want to hear.

Sure, they could have told her that this was caused by patches/mods, but in this situation a customer might (a) feel like they're being accused of something or (b) argue that their patches couldn't have possibly caused it [as has already been done earlier in this thread].

It's much easier and simpler to make something up.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Actually it's quite common in technical care to make up a "sounds plausible" reason for something when the alternative is telling the customer something they don't want to hear.
    Yeah, when you have tech support that can't find their own rear end with both hands, I imagine making up stories to tell the customer is quite common.

The only problem is in this particular instance, their made up reason doesn't "sound plausible" by any stretch of the imagination. It's an insult to the customer's intelligence.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    In a previous thread, disabling the update daemon was discussed. You can use Terminal (from Preware) to disable it also:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

Code:

killall UpdateDaemon

To re enable, use:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

YAY! Thanks! That was easy just went in with Putty and that seems to be the most reasonable solution, for now..

Now WHEN a real update comes, I DO have to undo (enable) this correct?

Thank you VERY MUCH!
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

Code:

killall UpdateDaemon

To re enable, use:

Code:

cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /

Tried this, but on the step "chmod -x UpdateDaemon" it tells me file not found. Any tips?
  15.    #16  
    @Yankees368 : Where are you entering this? You need to be logged into the Pre either thru Novacomm, or Putty, or some kind of command line terminal. You also need to have write access (which is in the code lines offerered)
    @Yankees368 : Where are you entering this? You need to be logged into the Pre either thru Novacomm, or Putty, or some kind of command line terminal. You also need to have write access (which is in the code lines offerered)
    I tried the Terminal app from preware. Will another method, like QuickInstall give different results?
  17.    #18  
    I have not used Terminal App , so I cant really say. I would try just simple Novacomm right from your cmd window with your Pre plugged in on charge mode.
    Yes, you do have to reverse it. And, pay attention to these boards, where we'll invariably hear of the next update being available!

YAY! Thanks! That was easy just went in with Putty and that seems to be the most reasonable solution, for now..

Now WHEN a real update comes, I DO have to undo (enable) this correct?

Thank you VERY MUCH!
  19.    #20  
    Yes, McKathryn I do try, but sometimes I find days that just dissapear when I cant quite spend as much time as Id like here. That pesky work thing has a nasty habbit of getting in the way...

Thanks again for an easy, effective solution..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast