Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    either way its getting annoying that my instinct which froze, glitched all the time worked instantly with sprint nav and to this date. actually getting driving directions has not worked once on my pre. i have read the forums and tried all the tricks as a apparently a lot of people are having the same problem as me. the trick i wont try is wiping my phone. It wont find my location. Yet if i search for what places are nearby. it can tell how far and their address but it cant find my location to drive too.

yet every other gps based app on my phone works perfectly. What is the deal? is their any official word on the issue?
    I have no issue with mine - a few times it needed an app restart or device reboot but it always worked. Try ##GPS# to to report your exact location - if it does, then try the nav app again (make sure GPS is on). If Nav still can't find your location, then you might have to doctor your Pre to determine if it's a software or hardware issue.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'd agree with ChemEngr, a trip to the Doctor could help determine if it's a software or a hardware issue. I myself have never had any problems with any of the GPS related programs and Sprint Nav works flawlessly for me and I use it quite often. You seem against wiping the phone but as long as you back up your internal folder to a pc and use the palm profile backup you'll retain all your contacts/pictures/documents.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have this posted in the palm webOS software forums

What is it about [Sprint Nav] that can't get my location? I can get a "location not found" message from sprint nav, open up google maps, and boom, it gets my location. I then go back to sprint nav and it still can't find me.

I've done this with other apps. I've done this with nothing but Nav open. I've seen this directly after a reset. This has happened, even when I open Sprint Nav in a new location, and see the city I'm in automatically entered in the address field!

My current method is to wait for the "getting location" bar to time out, resubmit the address (*note below), close the app, reopen the app, and try again. This solves it sometimes, less than 60% I'd say. It's a very long process. If this doesn't work, my only hope is to do a reset on the phone, which feels like an eternity.

Here's that note about resubmitting the address. When I do this step, the progress bar for "getting location" never moves, and there's an error message panel already behind it, which shows through. After the back gesture that panel is shown and it says "your location could not be found, please make sure your phone has a clear view of the sky" or something like that.

I've tried this with all sorts of settings, in all sorts of places. If I'm really in a rush I can get directions from google maps, but it's not as nice since it doesn't give me the convenient messages of Sprint Nav.

If anyone else has experienced this, please chime in.

If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know.

If anyone has the ability to fix this, please do so!

Thank you.

P.S. please add the option to avoid toll roads to Pre's Sprint Nav. That feature is available on the WinMo and BB versions of Sprint Nav. I don't live off of the 73 toll road in Cali, so I never need to use it. There's always a reasonable, public path around it.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. so far no tricks work. If i have to webos doctor it everytime to get it working i will be ****ed. The GPS obviously works because it gets an instant signal on every other app. Sprint Nav needs to be updated because this is a widespread problem. Palm, telenav and sprint need to get on the ball with these updates. Google isnt waiting for palm to get their act together. they are trying to dominate whatever market is left that the iphone doesnt have locked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    Thanks. so far no tricks work. If i have to webos doctor it everytime to get it working i will be ****ed. The GPS obviously works because it gets an instant signal on every other app. Sprint Nav needs to be updated because this is a widespread problem. Palm, telenav and sprint need to get on the ball with these updates. Google isnt waiting for palm to get their act together. they are trying to dominate whatever market is left that the iphone doesnt have locked up.
    While it's easy to say that the various companies need to "get on the ball", the reality is that it works flawlessly for others (myself included), so you may have an individual software issue.....I'm not sure it's as widespread as you state it is.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    While it's easy to say that the various companies need to "get on the ball", the reality is that it works flawlessly for others (myself included), so you may have an individual software issue.....I'm not sure it's as widespread as you state it is.
    check the forum. check posts on gps issues. all relate to sprint nav. google maps works just fine.

Im mad right now though. i just went through the trouble of wiping my phone and it still doesnt work.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    FWIW...I also have the same problem.
    Just a thought, you may have a hardware issue. Yeah, I know that Google maps works out for you, but Sprint Nav may require a different mode of operation. I recommend either talking to Sprint customer service or taking it in to the Sprint store and explaining the issue. If you did WebOS Doctor on your phone (note: this is different than just a hard reset), and it still doesn't work, you almost certainly have some kind of hardware problem.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Just a thought, you may have a hardware issue. Yeah, I know that Google maps works out for you, but Sprint Nav may require a different mode of operation. I recommend either talking to Sprint customer service or taking it in to the Sprint store and explaining the issue. If you did WebOS Doctor on your phone (note: this is different than just a hard reset), and it still doesn't work, you almost certainly have some kind of hardware problem.
    well i doctored it. so i guess i will take it in tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    well i doctored it. so i guess i will take it in tomorrow
    Good luck--be sure to report back with what happens.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Good luck--be sure to report back with what happens.
    thanks, i will
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I neglected to mention, that if my Sprint Nav actually does manage to realize that it has a signal, it'll work pretty quickly and steadily. I can put in an address, review the route, put in a new address, repeat repeat repeat. When doing this, I'm quite happy and it hardly even hesitates during the "getting gps" process.
  14.    #14  
    ok so I bring the pre into a store today. and the CS rep opens up the sprint nav and puts in a address and it instantly works. I mean instant. i think i saw him open some menu in the program but it was really quick. He said he did nothing. Ever since then so far. Its been working perfectly. the only thing worth noting. is that after it worked he did some sort of reset by holding the power button and
    flipping the switch at the top back and forth over and over.

now im embarrassed shocked and confused. considering that for the past month i tried it in multiple cities, i wiped out my phone and reactivated, tried every trick on the forum, and it never worked. and he just picks up the phone and it instantly works perfectly without him doing anything apparently. im lost, mad, and happy at the same time because my phone works now lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrolesen View Post
    I have this posted in the palm webOS software forums

What is it about [Sprint Nav] that can't get my location? I can get a "location not found" message from sprint nav, open up google maps, and boom, it gets my location. I then go back to sprint nav and it still can't find me.

I've done this with other apps. I've done this with nothing but Nav open. I've seen this directly after a reset. This has happened, even when I open Sprint Nav in a new location, and see the city I'm in automatically entered in the address field!

My current method is to wait for the "getting location" bar to time out, resubmit the address (*note below), close the app, reopen the app, and try again. This solves it sometimes, less than 60% I'd say. It's a very long process. If this doesn't work, my only hope is to do a reset on the phone, which feels like an eternity.

Here's that note about resubmitting the address. When I do this step, the progress bar for "getting location" never moves, and there's an error message panel already behind it, which shows through. After the back gesture that panel is shown and it says "your location could not be found, please make sure your phone has a clear view of the sky" or something like that.

I've tried this with all sorts of settings, in all sorts of places. If I'm really in a rush I can get directions from google maps, but it's not as nice since it doesn't give me the convenient messages of Sprint Nav.

If anyone else has experienced this, please chime in.

If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know.

If anyone has the ability to fix this, please do so!

Thank you.

P.S. please add the option to avoid toll roads to Pre's Sprint Nav. That feature is available on the WinMo and BB versions of Sprint Nav. I don't live off of the 73 toll road in Cali, so I never need to use it. There's always a reasonable, public path around it.
    Read my mind, and it happens way too often
    I have a pre and have no problems with my sprint nav...my wife's pre, however, has the above mentioned problem where it often does not pick up the gps location. Google maps works fine, and ironically, if you click on maps within sprint navigation, it finds the location as well...just won't work when looking for directions. A soft reset solves the problem 100% of the time, but then it recurs within a few times of using sprint nav...it is pretty annoying, may have to take it in to get checked...one thing though, my wife's battery is amazing unlike mine...her average battery remaining by the end of the day is on average b/w 60-75%, vs mine that's 10-30%. She texts and makes more phone calls than I do, though I probably do more web browsing....but not that much more...the only reason I hesitate on taking her phone to get checked out (and yes, location services is always on for both phones).
    oh...and I have a 1400 mah extended battery...she has the stock!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have this problem all the time on both my pre and my wife's pre as well. I have seen all the threads about the ##GPS# workaround. The only thing that consistently works for me is rebooting the phone.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    also, for those who think this issue is no big deal, bugs are to be expected etc...I am willing to live with it since i will take the time to try the workaround or reboot the phone, but my wife (who i think is pretty representative of the average consumer) has given up on the GPS feature on her Pre after a few problems with gps signal lock and is going to buy a standalone gps device as well...just saying, this kind of end-user perception can't be good for crossing the chasm from early adopters to main stream users.
    agreed, pre will never again be counted on to be the only sat nav
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast