Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So i seem to be having GPS problems. I have a mostly stock pre. I have a few apps installed and have only themes and removing NFL and nascar patches.

My GPS seems to be slow or non functioning allot. Using sprint nav it takes forever to get a gps location and most of time its in the wrong place or says it cannot find it. My wife also has a pre bought the same day as mine and when i launch sprint nav on both phones at the same time hers is up and running at least a minute or more than mine. Using ##GPS# is allot faster on hers than mine. Rebooting my phone sometimes helps.

I was thinking of taking it back and trying to get a new phone but wanted to get some other people opinions. Has anyone else had problems with GPS like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishMafia View Post
    So i seem to be having GPS problems. I have a mostly stock pre. I have a few apps installed and have only themes and removing NFL and nascar patches.

My GPS seems to be slow or non functioning allot. Using sprint nav it takes forever to get a gps location and most of time its in the wrong place or says it cannot find it. My wife also has a pre bought the same day as mine and when i launch sprint nav on both phones at the same time hers is up and running at least a minute or more than mine. Using ##GPS# is allot faster on hers than mine. Rebooting my phone sometimes helps.

I was thinking of taking it back and trying to get a new phone but wanted to get some other people opinions. Has anyone else had problems with GPS like this.
    im having similar issues.

interesting question in my head. Did your wife do homebrew stuff with hers or is it just stock?
  3.    #3  
    Both have the same home brew remove NFL and Nascar and have the same theme. We may have one or two apps that are different though.
    Are you sure it's using GPS and not just Google services?
  5.    #5  
    I am sure. I use the sprint nav and try the goto light or ##GPS# and my phone take forever compared to my wife's phone sitting right next to mine.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what could cause the problem. Would a damaged or loose GPS chip do that you think? Did you try the two side by side in the same are... Wait just read it.

Hmm, don't know. I suppose there is always a chance something could go wrong with any complex electronic. Perhaps it might be software related. Depending how invested you are in this and your data, you could try a backup and full system reset. See if that works.

Good luck
    Both have the same home brew remove NFL and Nascar and have the same theme. We may have one or two apps that are different though.
    That's incredible. I'd say that's pretty indicative of a hardware problem. Unless the one or two apps use GPS, that is.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  8.    #8  
    I may have to take it back. It is only about 3 or 4 months old. I just need to figure out a day that both me and my wife can go in so i can show them the phones side by side.
  9.    #9  
    I did a full erase reset today. Right now it seems to be working pretty good. I will go out tomorrow morning and drive up the road a bit and see if it still works. Not sure why this would fix it but oh well.

As a side note my themes did not get removed. Also the apps downloaded from the app store where there.
    You can always try this. Works pretty nicely in my experience.

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...ed-cached.html
    NEATO! I am aware of the diagnostic code as well, but I didn't know about this one. Is there a master list of these dial codes somewhere?

FWIW, I seem to have regular issues with Sprint Navigation as well where it just doesn't pick up the GPS and my only apparent solution is sitting through a ~2 minute reboot of the phone.
  12.    #12  
    So after a erase and setting up my phone again the gps is working great. Not sure what caused the problem but i will keep and eye out if any apps i install cause it.

Commands posted to front page. search for Quick Tip: Hash codes... stupid site will not let me post a link.

I was on a back road and opened sprint nav. The first time it found me right away. Later i did it again on another back road close to no where and it said can't find location. I hit ok and WHAM it found my spot and it worked fine.
  13.    #13  
    Still working great. A reset seems to fix the problem. I also re installed all the homebrew apps etc and no problems.
    I just checked my GPS and it's off by several miles. I haven't checked it in awhile, at least a month or so but at that time, it was dead on. I used the satellite view and it nailed my apartment building in the exact spot I was sitting.

Now, it's at least 2 miles off. I've tried enabling locations services with both GPS and Google and also just GPS by itself but it still shows up wrong.

I'm just wondering if all the patches and homebrew I've done may have affected it in some way. I'd hate to have to reset everything and start from scratch but I may have no choice.

Edit: I turned the phone completely off and then turned it back on, GPS is now accurate again. Will have to keep an eye on it.
    Last edited by Trekker; 11/07/2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    This has been an issue since day one. GPS works fine, then one day it just doesn't. Restarting the phone always fixes it. It shouldn't stop working - this is a big-time Web OS bug, if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by noshooz View Post
    This has been an issue since day one. GPS works fine, then one day it just doesn't. Restarting the phone always fixes it. It shouldn't stop working - this is a big-time Web OS bug, if you ask me.
    GPS is a critical function
    I thought I could depend on it, but my Pre using Sprint Navigation found a location for me and formulated a route from my home
    the distance was about 20 miles
    about 4 miles from my destination the GPS could no longer find a lock
    I never had this problem with my car's built in navigation system, which I used to get to my final destination
    I much prefer the Pre/Sprint interface, but if I cannot depend on it, what's the use
    I have used Sprint Navigation on the Pre within a city & this location was well outside the city, but certainly not in the boondocks
    I should have rebooted the system & will do this next time this problem occurs
    Pre/Sprint need to get this better
  17.    #17  
    Just keep in mind the gps not working had to reboot is how mine started. After a while I was rebooting everytime i needed gps. So the reset seemed to fix it though.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    about 4 miles from my destination the GPS could no longer find a lock
    Did you have EVDO data at that location?
    Do you have data roaming enabled?
    Do you have the phone on the dash or in a holder so it
    had clear view of the sky?

BTW, when your location appears to be "several miles off" it's because
    it doesn't have a GPS lock at all yet. It's just using cell tower triangulation.
    Can see the difference in Google Maps. If you see a small dot with a large
    blue circle around it, it does not have a GPS lock yet. When the blue
    circle goes away, and it shows only the dot, you're good to go.
    I usually fire up GPS first along with Google Maps, and wait for it to
    get a lock before I open Sprint Nav. Others have stated that they
    think Google Maps does the best job of "waking up" the GPS module
    and I tend to agree. I've never failed to get a lock using that procedure,
    even doing it on the fly, after my GPS has been off for days.

ian
    has palm addressed or acknowledged this yet? I am working on a GPS app and have run into the slow / off location problems. Rebooting the phone always fixes it, but the problem alone worries me. I am planning on submitting the app to the app store soon, and if the phone is having GPS issues, end users are all but guaranteed to blame the app/developer, not the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    has palm addressed or acknowledged this yet? I am working on a GPS app and have run into the slow / off location problems. Rebooting the phone always fixes it,
    I continue to have the problem. Every so often, it does not get an accurate fix. It's almost as if it uses cell tower locations for the initial fix and then a few seconds later uses GPS to get an accurate fix.

The problem I keep running into is that it won't get the second, more accurate fix. I've even tried typing ##GPS# into the phone dialer, getting a fix there and then going back to Google Maps and it's still off.

The only thing that works for me is to reset the phone and then the GPS fix is finally accurate.

Very annoying problem and makes GPS based apps unreliable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast