Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    had to replace my pre (drop kicked it and had massive oreo) and the day I went back to pick up the new one the palm/pre rep was visiting the sprint store. Got to talking with him and was showing off the custom stuff (him and store employees) and he told me that is what palm wants. Things like the patches etc, he said if we are geeky enough to want missing featues please stay in dev mode and go nuts with the phone. We (read: palm) want people in dev mode playing with their phones., and that they likedened webos to scion. We give you the bits for you to go nuts and make the phone like you want.

    made me happy but has anyone heard anything conflicting from palm or their reps? Also he ended with "look, we made dev mode konami code. Enough said."
  2.    #2  
    I should add, I didn't drop kick the phone. I was walking and dropped it at the right time to end up kicking it across the ground and into a cement wall.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kandekilla View Post
    I was walking and dropped it at the right time to end up kicking it across the ground and into a cement wall.
    LOL!!!! sure u were. we all know that you purposley did it because u love the phone so much and wanted a reason to see the palm rep. lol, anyways glad to hear that they want us screwin around on it. Hope you got your phone fixed.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kandekilla View Post
    and that they likedened webos to scion. We give you the bits for you to go nuts and make the phone like you want.
    Sorry to be unaware. What is scion?

    Thanks,
    Tom
  5. #5  
    Scion is a division of Toyota that makes cars that can be customized.
  6. #6  
    I took their advice. I used an iron-on patch. Now my Pre is melted! Not really!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kandekilla View Post
    had to replace my pre (drop kicked it and had massive oreo) and the day I went back to pick up the new one the palm/pre rep was visiting the sprint store. Got to talking with him and was showing off the custom stuff (him and store employees) and he told me that is what palm wants. Things like the patches etc, he said if we are geeky enough to want missing featues please stay in dev mode and go nuts with the phone. We (read: palm) want people in dev mode playing with their phones., and that they likedened webos to scion. We give you the bits for you to go nuts and make the phone like you want.

    made me happy but has anyone heard anything conflicting from palm or their reps? Also he ended with "look, we made dev mode konami code. Enough said."
    That's a recipe for a niche geek phone not a successful consumer product - I can't believe that the official internal policy or they expect that to appeal to anyone but a very small audience. How many people are home-brewing? 5%? 10%?
    Last edited by CGK; 11/01/2009 at 11:31 AM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's a recipe for a niche geek phone not a successful consumer product - I can't believe that the official internal policy or they attempt that to appeal to anyone but a very small audience. How many people are home-brewing? 5%? 10%?
    To me it sounds like Palm is excited that the homebrew community comes up with all these patches. It shows them what people want & makes it way easier for Palm to implement the code into an official WebOS build...Since the work is practically done. And transitioning these patches into an official "feature" will also affect the non-homebrew consumer.
    Follow Me On

  9. #9  
    ^well said.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  10. #10  
    Make the phone as we want it? Uhm...why would the average user have to patch the phone just to get the notification led working? That's basic stuff! We shouldnt have to figure out how to hack the thing and find the hidden things that Palm commented out. Include all the logical stuff right off the bat and then let us turn stuff on and off as we please! And also, if they really want us to mess with the phone that much, why is everyone scrambling to get their patches off for the next update? That guy was talking out of his ******** a bit if you ask me!

    Did you ask him when the next update comes out?
  11. #11  
    IMO, the lack of features helped release a stable OS. And from my experience, it is very stable even when patched to the gills. Due to lack of resources, Palm had to do this for early launch - better to be under-featured than over-buggy. Again, JMHO.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  12. JD78#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I can't believe that the official internal policy or they expect that to appeal to anyone but a very small audience.
    It's more likely that the Palm rep was talking out his ****. Regardless if they made WebOS homebrew friendly, They (Palm) would never come out stating that they did so to make up for "missing features".
  13. #13  
    I think ChemEngr nailed it. Stable is better any day.

    And, to be honest, I really enjoy patching my phone and installing homebrews. While I don't code any of the stuff, I think it's fun to be modifying my phone and fitting it to me, per se.

    Just my $0.02.
  14.    #14  
    not everything comes out right away that people would call core/basic features. #1 "smart"phone just got mms and not too long ago copy/paste. If that company waited until they included everything it still wouldn't be out.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    I think ChemEngr nailed it. Stable is better any day.

    And, to be honest, I really enjoy patching my phone and installing homebrews. While I don't code any of the stuff, I think it's fun to be modifying my phone and fitting it to me, per se.

    Just my $0.02.
    I agree 100%. My Pre is uniquely mine. I didn't code any of it, but the theme I'm using, my own photos changing houly via Switcharoo and the patches I chose to use to make my Pre work the way I want it to.
  16. #16  
    I would never take any phone that couldn't be customized. No single set of features could ever satisfy 100% of consumers. I'll let the Palm engineers work on making the phone faster and more stable while the homebrew community takes care of 90% of the Pre's "shortcomings".
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    To me it sounds like Palm is excited that the homebrew community comes up with all these patches. It shows them what people want & makes it way easier for Palm to implement the code into an official WebOS build...Since the work is practically done. And transitioning these patches into an official "feature" will also affect the non-homebrew consumer.

    Palm couldn't just take other people's code and add it into their WebOS builds - that's IPR theft (depending on how individual people are licensing their patches) and a legal minefield that no sensible company would touch with a twelve-foot pole.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Palm couldn't just take other people's code and add it into their WebOS builds - that's IPR theft (depending on how individual people are licensing their patches) and a legal minefield that no sensible company would touch with a twelve-foot pole.
    didn't they already do this with swipe down menus?

    I think they did, so I also think you aren't correct about poles and property, at least not entierly.
  19. #19  
    I don't know of any company that incorporates open source extensions into its proprietary products.

    It's one thing to use open source components in a proprietary product, but merging contributed fixes and extensions is something I haven't seen yet.

    It would be cool but it's not straightforward. Patches are often brute force short term solutions that don't follow the conventions the company wants to maintain.

    Not saying it couldn't happen but I'd be surprised if Palm gets involved.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Palm couldn't just take other people's code and add it into their WebOS builds - that's IPR theft (depending on how individual people are licensing their patches) and a legal minefield that no sensible company would touch with a twelve-foot pole.
    Actually, they can. All patches are released under the MIT Open Source License, which explicitly allows anyone to use the patches in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions