Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, we're about to see how well the Pre handles daylight saving time. Will your alarm go off?
    I noticed my first problem.. My texts are coming in but saying they are from an hour earlier.. Pre is jumping the gun! Haha
    WHITE HORSE - Linked to instinct, purity and the drive of the physical body to release powerful and emotional forces, like rage with ensuing chaos and destruction. - The Subconscious Psychosis of Dreams
    My Pre automatically changed it's own clock at 2am->1am, as it was supposed to. That's more than I can say about my Treos.
    i dont know how or why but my network time zone (under Date & Time setting on 3rd launcher page) shows Denver and for that reason my time was not changed on my Pre i manually went through all time zone and choose Chicago the only central time zone and after that everything is normal. Just a FYI.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    my alarm went off an hour early. I'm not supposed to be up yet.
    I should have known...yesterday, when I created a new event for today, the start time I selected was changed to one hour earlier when I saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    i dont know how or why but my network time zone (under Date & Time setting on 3rd launcher page) shows Denver and for that reason my time was not changed on my Pre i manually went through all time zone and choose Chicago the only central time zone and after that everything is normal. Just a FYI.
    Mine did the same thing. When I first looked at the phone this morning, it showed the correct post-DST time. A few minutes later, I noticed that it was an hour too early. When I went to date and time, I noticed that it was showing Denver as the network time zone. I changed it back to Chicago, and it is still showing the correct time.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The Pre got DST wrong. Fell back 2 hours, not one.

Seems my time zone changed too. Went from Central to Mountain.

Now I have to figure out how to set the time zone...

~joe
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Maybe Sprint is in error, not Palm? My Network Time Zone is wrong. I had to turn it off and use the manual time zone. That's annoying. ~joe
  10.    #10  
    My time change seems to have gone okay, but the clock app rang the alarm an hour LATE, which doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.
    My alarm also went off an hour late. The phone correctly said it was 7AM at the time, but the alarm was set for 6AM - and showed 6:00 Alarm on the screen while the time showing correctly as 7AM.

My time zone stayed correct - CST.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    jbg7474: Software will generally use GMT time for the time and then tailor the time displayed according to time zone and DST. The time is not actually changed in the software when changing time zone or DST. This way times can be compared across time zones. But it also means that every app needs time zone/DST smarts, or at least needs to rely on the OS to supply such smarts. Apparently the alarm function does not employ such smarts. ~joe
    My time change went perfect. My alarm went off this morning at the correct time.

It is so funny how around here people seem to have problems with just about everything. Its the strangest thing.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Mine fell back 2 hours as well.
    My Pre's time was wrong also. In the Date & Time settings, the Network time zone was set to MST Denver. I am in Central time. When the time changed, it jumped back two hours. So I turned off "Network time zone", and scrolled through a thousand countries and selected Chicago CST. That set the time correct.
    But just FYI, when I turned Network time zone back to ON, it says "waiting for network time..." and after five minutes, in the words of Bono, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for". So whatever time server it is looking for it can't seem to find it. Go figure.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Same here, time showed up properly, but alarm went off at 7am, was set for 6am in the clock. It's SUNDAY though, so why the hell did it set itself in the first place???? Last thing I want to do is get woken up by an alarm clock on Sunday!!
    Not only did my alarm not go off, but the Pre was frozen. I could not get the screen on and thought that the battery had drained. But it had not. I soon realized that it was taking about 40 seconds for the phone to preform any gesture or button push. When the Pre finally did light up, there was a too many cards icon in the alert area... but there was not one card open. Perhaps it was simply coincidence, but I am hoping that it was related to day light savings time. Battery life is the biggest issue I have had with the phone, but if what happened last night becomes common or recurring, well obviously, the Pre will have to be go... and I will be sad.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawks View Post
    . . . When the time changed, it jumped back two hours. So I turned off "Network time zone", and scrolled through a thousand countries and selected Chicago CST. That set the time correct.
    But just FYI, when I turned Network time zone back to ON, it says "waiting for network time..." and after five minutes, in the words of Bono, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for". So whatever time server it is looking for it can't seem to find it. Go figure.
    My exact experience, other than being in EST and having been switched to CST for unknown reason. My Pre's still waiting, too . . .

The Calendar entries seem unscathed, other than another spate of Google changing all-day events to 12:00-11:59, but that's another story . . .

EDIT: I went into the Phone app Preferences and updated network settings (and PRL, which probably didn't do anything), and the Pre was no longer waiting. Not sure if what I did worked, or if it just killed enough time for the network to get it right.
    Last edited by davidtm; 11/01/2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added info
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    The Pre got DST wrong. Fell back 2 hours, not one.

Seems my time zone changed too. Went from Central to Mountain.

Now I have to figure out how to set the time zone...

~joe
    This is what happened to mine. An easy fix.
    I noticed even when I was using my Diamond, that the Network Time & Network Time Zone functions were not reliable.

When I got my Pre, I noticed problems with the timezone even back in June, so I had set the time zone manually and left Network Time set to ON.

With those settings, DST worked on my Pre just as it was supposed to.

I think the majority of issues that people are seeing is due to the Network feeding the wrong time and/or timezone to the Pre. I don't think Sprint has consistently programmed its entire cell network for the new DST settings or some of the towers that Sprint is using are not programmed for the right timezone.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast