Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I just wonder what people thoughts were regarding the future of WebOS. I have always been a palm guy since the Palm PDA-treo 300 so on...I have a couple days left on my 30 day return window and was thinking what the future of the OS was. Honestly do you think webOS will be adopted by developers the way Android has? i really could use some of the applications the iphone and android have now. I know webOS is still very young and I know palm will do a great job improving it, but do you think the user base will become large enough to be as attractive to developers as the iphone OS and android OS?

I know the iphone is only made made by one company and they have done well, but androids advantage is like windows mobile which can be licensed by many phone manufactures.

What if palm allowed their OS to be licensed by other manufactures. do you think that would ever happen?

I really like the Pre and know that its full potential is not close to being realized, but until then its just potential.
    Last edited by Malimal; 11/02/2009 at 08:34 AM.
    it would not in its current mode, I dont think Palm intend to license it to other party at all.

They are obviously adopting a developing model as Apple Mac. But then I would like to remind Jon Rubinstein, Apple Mac has 4% global market share, thats it.

But I do think there is concerns with licensing the OS out. Take a look at Android, google doesn't make phones, it only does OS, much like MS has been doing with PC.

Its good for google or MS. but it is good for a phone/computer making company? I dont know, its quite complicated, I just hope Palm makes its decision regarding this issue, with cool head and reasoning, rather than ideological principles.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    when it comes to phones, get whatever fits your needs right now.

there is always something to look forward to when it comes to features on individual phones and by the time the holy grail is reached, it's time for a new hardware version anyway--it really doesnt matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    when it comes to phones, get whatever fits your needs right now.

there is always something to look forward to when it comes to features on individual phones and by the time the holy grail is reached, it's time for a new hardware version anyway--it really doesnt matter.
    I agree, Im having fun with my Pre but I always find myself looking for the next latest best and greatest toy to play with.

Ive always been this way and thats whet led me to the Pre and it will take me somewhere else sometime Im sure..Its not a matter of if, but when..
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    yeah i guess im a techy at heart and just like to get the best new thing..I told myself i was going to stay with the pre for at least a year, but i haven't stayed with a phone for that long in while..lol
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I'm being honest.

The user interface for WebOS is REALLY good.
    You might see some kind of multitasking be developed for the Iphone and other phones.

But until then, no other phone multitasks as well as the Pre.
    I'm so used to the Pre multitasking that other phones seem so behind cause it can take twice as long doing multiple tasks.
    The Pre, however, needs to get good at doing single tasks. It's really good at doing multiple tasks though.

I feel like WebOS will be really good once it gets flash, video recording, and many of those necessary features and whatnot.
    WebOS needs polishing (becoming faster, getting some key features, etc)... and afterwards, I feel like it can give other phones a run for their money.

WebOS 2.0, if it's released and has what I think it has, should be legendary.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimal View Post
    but androids advantage is like windows mobile which can be licensed by many phone manufactures.
    Based on the apps/developers focus of your question, I can tell you that this is *not* an advantage, it's a disadvantage. Both WinMo and Android run on a range of devices with non-standard features. This makes it very hard for developers to write games/apps that will work on all devices. iPhone OS and webOS (so far) have much better hardware focus and tighter control over hardware/software integration. This will always be more desirable for most developers.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I'm not to sure what your asking? Hasn't this same question been addressed ad nauseum in a billion billion other post? If you had it 30 days and still aren't convinced, man up and try something else. I would prefer you stay, but if you're not comfortable staying with the Pre through its growing pains or worries it may not be around in a year, indeed a more mature platform is for you.

You also say developers like its some established community, I say it doesn't necessarily matter. There are 13/14 year old kids who make apps, a developer community can be grown and in some ways I think we've seen this with homebrew. So to answer your question honestly, 50% of people will tell you the Pre's potential will flower in to something beautiful. The other 50% will say fail. What insight are you looking for that hasn't been stated already?
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Based on the apps/developers focus of your question, I can tell you that this is *not* an advantage, it's a disadvantage. Both WinMo and Android run on a range of devices with non-standard features. This makes it very hard for developers to write games/apps that will work on all devices. iPhone OS and webOS (so far) have much better hardware focus and tighter control over hardware/software integration. This will always be more desirable for most developers.
    yeah...that does make sense when you put it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    WebOS 2.0, if it's released and has what I think it has, should be legendary.
    Much agreed. For now, WebOS is really rough around the edges. It does a few things (UI, multitasking) extraordinarily well and others (PIM, power management) very poorly.

If you can live with a platform that is still very much in the early developmental phases, and you like the Pre, go for it. In any case, the best advice is what has already been given: buy a phone based on the features it has RIGHT NOW. Don't trust promises of far-off functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Unlike WinMo, Android exposes a universal SDK, so your argument is mostly false. Because Android apps run within a Java VM, they are abstracted from the underlying hardware to a degree that for most purposes insulates the developer from ever having to consider the hardware.

The penalty is that, like WebOS, Android apps will always be more limited in terms of the functionality and performance they can offer.

However, the advantage of having multiple hardware vendors and configurations is market penetration. Palm isn't Apple; tens of millions didn't rush out to buy the Pre because it had fruit stamped on it.
    I agree with Stihl & Leftyman. However, I have been amazed with the loyalty to Palm since I have bought the Pre. I just buy what fits my needs. I am a huge mac computer guy and actually love their products. WebOs is quite amazing though. I just had some fun with my friends at a U2 concert in Las Vegas. I think I was the only person in the crowd without an Iphone. My friends all have Iphones and were attempting to Text. They could not get any kind of 3g to work. So, I took a photo and texted all of my friends and put in the title "You should have this MMS by the time you get back to the hotel". They all texted back about an hour after the concert saying "Real Funny". I thought it was! One more advantage of the WebOs, not everybody uses it at concerts, games etc. Good luck Palm! I am loving this phone & wishing you success! Competition is always good!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    well, it certainly isn't perfect but I'd say for being 1.X its certainly more feature rich than iPhone 1.X or Andriod 1.X. While this is acceptable now Palm has some catching up to do. More APIs, better performance, and greater stability are what I'm really looking forward to in future updates. And given webOS's track record so far, I don't think were far from that.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    The future of webos is entirely up to Palm. If it fails, it will be all Palm's fault and Palm will go down with it. Personally I don't care, since I get a new phone every year and a half or so. I'm happy with my phone/plan now, so I just hope in 2 years Sprint has a decent alternative, because this is the first time sprint had a phone I was even remotely interested in. I think webos is a great os, but Palm is going to need to wise up to people's needs to be successful. This product roll out was anything but spectacular, imo.
    You have to remember that the biggest mistake in the history of Palm was spinning off Palmsource because of licensing partners. They're not going to make a mistake on that scale again, otherwise they'll go under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimal View Post
    What if palm allowed their OS to be licensed by other manufactures. do you think that would ever happen? it never did with palmOS.
    Not that it's extremely germaine to the conversation, but that's not quite right. I can't name all of them, but off the top of my head; Sony, Handera, and Nokia all licensed PalmOS and created devices.
    WebOS has the most potential of any of the 5 major OSes we'll be seeing in 2010 (WebOS, Mobile OS X, Android, BB, WinMo 6.5/7). The ability to tweak the OS is amazing, and as the SDK and APIs evolve, WebOS will only get better. I think by 2.0, WebOS will be the best OS on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sony, Handera, and Nokia all licensed PalmOS and created devices.
    Plus Symbol, Samsung, Kyocera, Fossil, Handspring, Tapwave, and those are just the ones I remember in a few seconds myself.

Though, are you sure about Nokia?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Plus Symbol, Samsung, Kyocera, Fossil, Handspring, Tapwave, and those are just the ones I remember in a few seconds myself.

Though, are you sure about Nokia?
    I might have been remembering wrong. Might have been Samsung that I was thinking of. One of the very early phone/Palm combos that failed miserably.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I might have been remembering wrong. Might have been Samsung that I was thinking of. One of the very early phone/Palm combos that failed miserably.
    The old Kyocera that weighed about two pounds and was the size of a shoe? My friend actually had one of those. Even though it was a pretty crummy phone, the battery lasted him a good week (black+white screens FTW! )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast