Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. mikekey's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #21  
    I hope Palm gets their head out of their *****, realizes they aren't the number #1 phone maker anymore, realizes they aren't CAN NOT do what Apple has done, takes a good look at Android and decides to let other people build hardware for their OS.
  2. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    Unlike WinMo, Android exposes a universal SDK, so your argument is mostly false. Because Android apps run within a Java VM, they are abstracted from the underlying hardware to a degree that for most purposes insulates the developer from ever having to consider the hardware.

    The penalty is that, like WebOS, Android apps will always be more limited in terms of the functionality and performance they can offer.
    I am not sure I understand your point. The problem is that a developer cannot count on a certain hardware feature being available in all devices. So for example (a random example) if I have a game that requires a hardware keyboard, I can't be sure it will be available on all devices. Or if I have an app that requires a certain accelerometer capability or GPS feature, I can't be sure it will work on all devices. And so on.

    Some of that exists for the iPhone too, and in fact the 3GS added a lot of new property variable checks in the SDK to deal with unique stuff like magnetometer or video recording. But by far, the core features of all iPhone and iPod Touch devices constitutes a more dependable "core set" of hardware features that a developer can target compare to Android. With the exception of screen size and wi-fi, the same can be said for Pre and Pixi right now.
  3. #23  
    Well WebOS is clearly not full fleshed out yet.

    Palm obviously was rushed to bring it to market though cause they had to show SOMETHING.

    I like WebOS now, but see much more potentially for it...for instance, the fact that the GPU is not used at all by the phone. Once that is remedied the OS would feel pretty much like a whole new OS.

    I personally like WebOS the most out of Android, Mobile OSX and Windows Mobile. I also think it has the most potential as of now.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I am not sure I understand your point. The problem is that a developer cannot count on a certain hardware feature being available in all devices. So for example (a random example) if I have a game that requires a hardware keyboard, I can't be sure it will be available on all devices. Or if I have an app that requires a certain accelerometer capability or GPS feature, I can't be sure it will work on all devices. And so on.

    Some of that exists for the iPhone too, and in fact the 3GS added a lot of new property variable checks in the SDK to deal with unique stuff like magnetometer or video recording. But by far, the core features of all iPhone and iPod Touch devices constitutes a more dependable "core set" of hardware features that a developer can target compare to Android. With the exception of screen size and wi-fi, the same can be said for Pre and Pixi right now.
    The vast majority of Android devices run the same exact hardware maybe minus the keyboard.

    The Droid finally broke that mold, but otherwise its been a consistent experience on all android phones.
  5. malimal's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not that it's extremely germaine to the conversation, but that's not quite right. I can't name all of them, but off the top of my head; Sony, Handera, and Nokia all licensed PalmOS and created devices.
    You are right, Im not sure what I was thinking. The kyocera 6035 as mentioned below, I actually owned for a while..lol

    I also forgot my favorite phone of all time the samsung sph-i500 was palmOS as well.

    To this day I still wish they released a version of the i550.

    Regardless, i hope palm does license it out again.

    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    The old Kyocera that weighed about two pounds and was the size of a shoe? My friend actually had one of those. Even though it was a pretty crummy phone, the battery lasted him a good week (black+white screens FTW! )
    Last edited by Malimal; 11/01/2009 at 05:07 PM.
  6. #26  
    The concept I'm thinking of is "positive network externality."

    Let's say 10 people use Windows. Software developers have relatively poor incentive to develop (because they are only reaching 10 people). However, if the userbase increases from 10 -> 100, then the platform immediately seems more attractive to developers, because there's a larger potential market...devs will provide more support and applications, and more people will be encouraged to buy into the product...and with more people buying into, more people will want to support and tap the market...and it goes on and on. Quite simply: every time someone joins the club, club membership becomes more valuable for everyone. There are two real milestones: when the network can support itself...and when the network grows itself.

    Google has leveraged this effect by allowing others to use Android on different hardware (so...people have choice between Droid, Hero, etc.,) Apple, on the other hand, has one solid, recognizable project, but it markets it fantastically and makes it a "must-have" product across the world. So, they simply plant seeds across the world, release new iterations if need be, and grow money trees.

    As for Palm, I don't know. I want to be confident. Palm has respectable sales in the US and has recently released in a few other countries too. I am very heartened by the Pre taking huge strides in mobile web usage. And Palm is preparing to release the Pixi (I just wonder if that will appeal to a significantly different market segment...)

    But there are comments and actions from developers and posters that make me think that WebOS isn't yet at the sustenance level -- much less the self-propelling growth level. For example, when one developer priced his app for WebOS differently than he did for a similar iPhone app (I forget which app it was...some game, I think?), he noted that the Pre userbase simply isn't large enough to make the same amount of profit, so he charges more.

    ...of course, this isn't flawless economics. This developer is hoping that people will pay those prices. If not, then he probably will be disinterested in developing for an unprofitable audience. So, if developers are scared away, the network shrinks. If user continue to perceive that apps are not worthwhile (not growing at a fast enough pace, too 'gimmicky', too expensive, not providing necessary features quickly enough, not polished enough, etc.,), then people will leave for more established devices (don't believe me? Look at the several topics here at PreCentral...), and the network shrinks.

    So I can't tell...I think that the Palm Pre is for me, and WebOS is for me as well. I'm willing to stick things out a bit, because Android, OS X Mobile, BB OS, etc., all have issues that push me away and whereas WebOS has time for growing, spreading wings, etc., I feel that with OS X, BB OS, and WinMo in particular, these are "set" in certain design philosophies and can't change so flexibly.
  7. vitz3's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #27  
    Last edited by vitz3; 11/02/2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: duplicate post
  8. vitz3's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    Palm isn't Apple; tens of millions didn't rush out to buy the Pre because it had fruit stamped on it.
    I love this quote. HAHA!

    (Not an Apple fan in the slightest)
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
    I hope Palm gets their head out of their *****, realizes they aren't the number #1 phone maker anymore, realizes they aren't CAN NOT do what Apple has done, takes a good look at Android and decides to let other people build hardware for their OS.
    You are assuming other manufacturers would want to license WebOS for their hardware. Unless Palm gives it away for free, they would have a hard time competing with Android.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimal View Post
    What if palm allowed their OS to be licensed by other manufactures. do you think that would ever happen? it never did with palmOS.
    Then what the heck were my Handspring Visor and Sony Clie running?!?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions