Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Kleany's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
       #1  
    hey i heard you can back it up to google, to save ur contacts, how can i back up my contacts on the pre?

    basically, ive given up on the pre, it has failed me 3-4 times already, first i had had a horrible oreo, 2nd one the headphone jack screwed up, now this 3rd one promixty sensor is no longer working, i give up.

    im pretty set on getting a hero now.

    another thing that upset me was the apps on the pre, 99% of them are useless.

    can someone help please? thanks. pre community is awesome though, everyones been so hopeful.
  2. #2  
    There's about a dozen threads already on this subject. The short answer is ... if your contacts have been entered under the Palm Profile account, then there's no way (or at least no easy way) to export them.
  3. Kleany's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
       #3  
    wow thats horrible.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kleany View Post
    hey i heard you can back it up to google, to save ur contacts, how can i back up my contacts on the pre?

    basically, ive given up on the pre, it has failed me 3-4 times already, first i had had a horrible oreo, 2nd one the headphone jack screwed up, now this 3rd one promixty sensor is no longer working, i give up.

    im pretty set on getting a hero now.

    another thing that upset me was the apps on the pre, 99% of them are useless.

    can someone help please? thanks. pre community is awesome though, everyones been so hopeful.
    First off , do you have a gmail account? If so then enter it into your phones preferences and account settings and sync it. Search google on how to export your gmail contact list.
  5. Kleany's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
       #5  
    yes i have gmail!
  6. #6  
    There is a way to copy the database that holds your contacts on the Pre, if they're not currently synced with Google. This involves root access to your Pre, and knowledge of how to manipulate SQL. I don't believe anyone has made an app for this yet, though that would be really nice. Try searching the forum for "contacts database". But I wouldn't worry about it. If you get the Hero at Sprint, they'll transfer your contacts over for you. Of course, you'll need to hang on to your Pre until you make the purchase.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 11/01/2009 at 08:24 PM.
  7. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kleany View Post
    yes i have gmail!
    Then sync it with Google. When you get your Hero, you'll log into your google account and it'll all be there. No need to back it up yourself.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    First off , do you have a gmail account? If so then enter it into your phones preferences and account settings and sync it. Search google on how to export your gmail contact list.
    I don't believe this is correct. If the contacts were entered into the Pre while the default account was Palm Profile, then these contacts will NOT sync with Google after the default account is changed.
  9. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #9  
    Rob, is correct.

    There is a script to export your palm pre profile contacts to csv and then import them into gmail.

    Do a search on MvPre2Gmail
  10. #10  
    Yeah thats pretty much it.

    Why your contacts aren't in gmail is a bit perplexing. Did you enter them in via your phone?
  11. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #11  
    It isn't very preplexing actually. When ppl upgrade to the Pre, the contacts from their old phone are put into the Pre's Profile by Sprint reps.

    Sprints not going to put it into gmail for ya!
  12. #12  
    Ohh...i haven't had sprint do that for me since I've had smart phones haha.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I don't believe this is correct. If the contacts were entered into the Pre while the default account was Palm Profile, then these contacts will NOT sync with Google after the default account is changed.
    Yea that could be. I input my gmail into my pre before inputting any contacts manually to begin with.

Posting Permissions