1.    #1  
    Do any of you have the caller ID block option enabled on your wireless service? I'm not talking about the per-call *67 option, but rather the option where every call you make by default comes across as "Blocked ID," unless you had pre-pended the "*82" digits in front of the phone number. Anyone else using this option? Any issues using it?
    I use it since I am a physician so I have used it for years. I used it on my pre before I sold it. No problems at all.
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    Do any of you have the caller ID block option enabled on your wireless service? I'm not talking about the per-call *67 option, but rather the option where every call you make by default comes across as "Blocked ID," unless you had pre-pended the "*82" digits in front of the phone number. Anyone else using this option? Any issues using it?
    I've also used it for years with no issues. It's obviously very convenient for those who do not wish to distribute their cell phone number to clients, etc. Do you have a specific concern to address?
    I've always had it - but then when the switch to the Pre occurred, Sprint mistakenly removed it. The biggest hassle was that all my contacts were saved with the *82 code. When it came time to text, I had a little process that I had to go through to remove the code or else the text wouldn't go through (this was before the Pre). With the Pre, I just saved the same number again as "Other" or "Fax" without the code and texted from that location. It's been about 5 months without the "permanent" block and I'm okay with that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
    I've always had it - but then when the switch to the Pre occurred, Sprint mistakenly removed it. The biggest hassle was that all my contacts were saved with the *82 code. When it came time to text, I had a little process that I had to go through to remove the code or else the text wouldn't go through (this was before the Pre). With the Pre, I just saved the same number again as "Other" or "Fax" without the code and texted from that location. It's been about 5 months without the "permanent" block and I'm okay with that.
    Yes, *this* seems to be my current issue. At first I thought my sms service wasn't provisioned correctly. The sms app doesn't strip the pre-pended code (*82) from the text number, and doesn't understand the number, and therefore fails to send the text. Recipient never sees it.

On my previous handset (treo) you were provided an opportunity to modify the number brought into the app, and remove the *82. On the Pre, you aren't able to modify it at all.

Unlike you, I asked them to turn the block caller ID service back on, so I still use the *82 pre-pended codes. I'm going to continue to need that to work for my close acquaintances (who happen to be whom I text the most).

Amusingly, storing a 2nd number sans the *82 code (perhaps as "other") doesn't help. The contact list recognizes *82(123)456-7890 as being synonymous with (123)456-7890, and will not even show the 2nd number unless you put it in edit mode. Literally, you see 1 number when it displays contact info, and when you hit the edit button you see 2 numbers, one with the *82, and one without.

Likewise the messaging app won't even show the 2nd number as a textable number (I suppose the logic being "who texts a fax machine?"). So, from a phone app perspective, you still get the *82... number, and from a messaging app perspective you still get the *82 number.

I've tried it both ways too--saving the *82 version as "other" and saving the number sans *82 as "other". Neither way allows me to text successfully.

I either need 1) Pre's messaging app to recognize and remove the pre-pended digits or 2) an ability to somehow store/select/edit a version of the number so that it sends without the pre-pended digits.

This is going to be an issue.
    Yep that was definitely my problem when I got the pre! My # has been blocked/private for over 10 years(thru sprint service) and now in order to use the phone at its fullest ability I had to have sprint remove the private # feat. andthen go thru and edit (remove*82) every phone # I text on the regular. I was pretty easy since my contact are snynced w/ google. For the people that I really don't want them to have my # (girlfriends) I use google voice...WHAT A LIFE SAVER THAT PLATFORM IS!!!!
  7.    #7  
    So, what do you think the chances are that Palm will make caller-ID-block & SMS play nicely together. All they have to do is have the messaging app 1) automatically remove known US government mandated *XX codes from the beginning of sms numbers, or 2) let the user edit those numbers for sms texts so that they go through ok.

Or 3) (impossibly ambitious)...make the sms system recognize *XX codes and strip them off for the caller...not likely to happen, of course.

But the FCC requires telephone companies to provide (and I quote the FCC here) "free, simple, and uniform per-line blocking and unblocking procedures." It seems that the way the Pre's messaging app currently handles pre-pended codes, it doesn't work well with all the services the telephone company is providing.

I recognize that Palm isn't a telephone company, but it seems that this is kind of the type of stuff that Sprint would ask them to make work right. I know it worked on the Treo because I could see when a text would not send right, and know I needed to take the *82 off of the number, and the treo's messaging app allowed me to do that while still tracking the modified number back to the contact name accurately. It would seem a reasonably thing for them to consider building into one of the OS development cycles...at least to me.

even more slick, imo, since this is a regional feature, would be to have a user-definable list of pre-pends that the user would like stripped.

FCC requirements:

Rules for Blocking and Unblocking Your Telephone Number

The FCC’s Caller ID rules protect the privacy of the person calling by requiring telephone companies to make available free, simple, and uniform per-line blocking and unblocking procedures. These rules give you the choice of delivering or blocking your telephone number for any interstate (between states) call you make. (The FCC does not regulate blocking and unblocking of intrastate calls.)

* Per-call blocking – To block your phone number and name from appearing on a recipient’s Caller ID unit on a single phone call, dial *67 before dialing the phone number. Your number will not be sent to the other party. You must redial *67 each time you place a new call.
    * Per-line blocking – Some states allow customers to select per-line blocking. With this option, your telephone number will be blocked for every call you make on a specific line – unless you use the per-line unblocking option. If you use per-line blocking and want your number to be transmitted to the called party, dial *82 before you dial the number you are calling. You must re-dial *82 each time you place a call.
    * Blocking Your Name – Some Caller ID services also transmit the name of the calling party. If you request that your phone number be concealed, FCC rules require that a telephone company also conceal your name.

Filing a Complaint

If you think the rules for protecting the privacy of your telephone number have been violated, you can file a complaint with the FCC. There is no charge for filing a complaint. You can file your complaint using an on-line complaint form found at esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm. You can also file your complaint with the FCC’s Consumer Center by e-mailing fccinfo@fcc.gov; calling 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY; faxing 1-866-418-0232; or writing to:

Federal Communications Commission
    Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
    Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
    445 12th Street, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20554.
    Last edited by roygbiv; 10/31/2009 at 08:16 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Thanks, for the link to the detailed discussion! Wish I found that with my search! Will look into that. Although, it'd still be nice to have a user definable pre-pend stripping feature in the messaging app.

Edit: The update is that the work-around described in that thread does indeed address the issue. And while it might be semantics, the recommendation is a *workaround* though, and not a *fix* per se. Whatever, I'm not going to move mountains on a forum, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Last edited by roygbiv; 11/01/2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    Thanks, for the link to the detailed discussion! Wish I found that with my search! Will look into that. Although, it'd still be nice to have a user definable pre-pend stripping feature in the messaging app.

Edit: The update is that the work-around described in that thread does indeed address the issue. And while it might be semantics, the recommendation is a *workaround* though, and not a *fix* per se. Whatever, I'm not going to move mountains on a forum, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Totally agree. It's not a fix, it's a workaround. At least my SMS works the way I want it to though. Not perfect, but worked out. I'm hoping they fix, but not betting on it.
  11.    #11  
    A quick update on the *82 workaround...

With the latest update to WebOS, you may have found that the workaround noted in this thread is no longer possible, if you are attempting to post-pend "TX" to the sms number or post-pend "mob" to the mobile number. Palm has changed the business rules with respect to the valid values one can enter in a phone number field. In particular, text entered in that field must be numeric, or of a limited set of telephony-recognized codes. The characters M, O, B, T, & X are not valid. So, you may notice that you can't add those character on new contacts. (the existing ones will keep their characters, however).

P, however, is a valid telephony character, which is normally used to indicate "pause" in the dialing string. Therefore, for the time being, you can add a "p" to the dialing string (post-pended on the end of the string) and it will "trick" the app effectively, as per the original concept.

Please note as well...to get the letter "p", you must disengage the number lock, which is on, by default. If you neglect to do this, you're not going to get anything when you hit "p" because it registers as the equal sign once the num lock is engaged. "=" is not a valid telephony dialing string character.

This business rule is only enforced upon the edit field on your handset. If you happen to be hooked up w/ google contacts, you are free to use whatever text you want if you enter it through google contacts on your pc. If you're using palm profile, though, you must use the handset for data entry, and therefore must adhere to valid telephony characters.

The second comment to note is that there is a palm service request on this issue, and if you are interested in tracking whether it has been fixed in a new release, the service request tracking ID is: 1-51722555731
    Last edited by roygbiv; 12/06/2009 at 03:19 PM.