Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased a Pre several weeks ago from a Sprint Store. They told me I have 30 days to decide to add the insurance option to my plan. I have about 2 weeks to decide. I am curious if it is worth it. Right now, I'm seeing the $7/mo as $84/yr that I could spend elsewhere.

From what I've read here, there's a 1 yr warranty that covers some issues. I'm not sure what. Then, I've also read that insurance is a pain to get a replacement. I'd be more than happy to pay the $7/mo if the insurance is reasonable. For example, I take my phone in, tell them its broke, and they say, "oh, you have insurance, here's your replacement". Does it really work this way?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I would highly recommend it. I've had it for several years.
    I too have had it for years. In fact I have had it on any phone that has a non contract price over 300.00. It has gone up in price from the days of $3.00 but it may still be worth it for many. Depending on the age of the phone and if you are dealing with Palm or after market warranty you may have a replacement same day or a few days. You may even have the option to pay for overnight shipping if need be. It come down to where the replacement phone is.

Is it worth it for you? Look at the NON-contract price of the phone. Is is a price you can deal with the moment you have a phone issue. If so don't get the insurance.
    Are you the type that bangs up your phone, runs it over with the car, or goes deep sea diving with it in your pocket several times in a year? Get the insurance.
    The problem in going without insurance is that if anything happens to your phone that isn't covered by warranty (lost or stolen, physical or liquid damage) and before you're eligible to do an upgrade, you're basically stuck paying full retail price (~$500) or risking eBay if you want another Pre.

From what I've read here, there's a 1 yr warranty that covers some issues. I'm not sure what. Then, I've also read that insurance is a pain to get a replacement. I'd be more than happy to pay the $7/mo if the insurance is reasonable. For example, I take my phone in, tell them its broke, and they say, "oh, you have insurance, here's your replacement". Does it really work this way?
    I believe Sprint uses Asurion same as AT&T, so it probably works basically the same way. You'll contact Asurion to set up a claim. They take the info about what happened, get the new phone set up, charge the deductible, etc, and then send you the replacement via overnight shipping. The only time I've heard of anyone having problems with getting a claim is when they try to do more than the allowed number per year.
    i have had insurance for just about 3 years now and i wouldnt go a day without. No matter what phones will have issues or break, and i am a little rough with my phones im a college kid. Point being insurance has saved my *** many many many times. And it will depend on the service center you visit, some will want to give you a little hassle at times and others will take a glance at it and hand you a new one or tell you to come back the next day or so for them to order you one.
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    The peace of mind it offers is worth it for me. Besides, my wife drops her pre so often (i'm surprised it is still operational) it is a must have. I'm much more cautious with my Pre, but like I said, the $7/month is a no-brainer for the peace of mind.
    I'd say be aware that Palm has a one year warranty which Sprint is supposed to honor.

Other than that, 7 a month isn't too bad given the noncontract prices.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    I believe Sprint uses Asurion same as AT&T, so it probably works basically the same way. You'll contact Asurion to set up a claim. They take the info about what happened, get the new phone set up, charge the deductible, etc, and then send you the replacement via overnight shipping. The only time I've heard of anyone having problems with getting a claim is when they try to do more than the allowed number per year.
    thats pretty much the way it happens, Asurion now has a website,phoneclaim.com so you can do the claim without having to speak to someone (most of the time)
    Quote Originally Posted by dba0077 View Post
    From what I've read here, there's a 1 yr warranty that covers some issues. I'm not sure what.
    The Palm warranty does not cover physical damage (like dropping your Pre and cracking/ scratching the screen), dropping in a pool/spilling liquid, throwing your pre against a wall, ect.TEP through Assurion covers all this.
    Then, I've also read that insurance is a pain to get a replacement.
    I've had a few insurance replacements and never had a problem. In fact once I was upgraded to a newer model instead of what I had. Another time I requested a completely different phone (of equal kind /value) and they did. The replacement was sent the next business day.
    Does it really work this way?
    Pretty much, however Sprint/ Assurion raised their deductible last year so now you have to pay $100 per every insurance replacement claim. It's been hit-or-miss whether you'll receive a new or refurbished, though.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 10/31/2009 at 11:29 AM.
    A thought came to mind.
    Palm has a 1-year warranty
    Sprint now allows Premier members to upgrade at 12 mos.
    So aside from lost/stolen/abuse or dumb a** why would you get the warranty.
    Open for discussion please add or correct me.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    A thought came to mind.
    Read the post above yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Read the post above yours.
    I did which Is why I made my post.
    My point is if a person takes care of their phone and barring no fault of their own (warranty only type problems) is there any reason then to have the insurance. I agree ****** happens. That's why I have the insurance. Yet is not the post I made correct?
    My point is if a person takes care of their phone and barring no fault of their own (warranty only type problems) is there any reason then to have the insurance. I agree ****** happens. That's why I have the insurance. Yet is not the post I made correct?
    You are correct. But *** happens. Though, it's never happened to me. Never have once used insurance..all returns/exchanges due to defects.

I'm sure as soon as i would drop insurance, i'd need it :P
    You're gambling. That's how insurance works. If you're lucky you may have it for years and never need it. If you're not lucky you may end up like a guy I talked to yesterday who had 2 brand new iPhones stolen and was looking at $1400 to replace them.

Given that my phone goes with me everywhere and the crappy reality of modern life/society, I'd much rather have the insurance.

IMO, it's simple mathematics. Assuming you have your Pre for 2 years and carry insurance the whole time, you pay $168 ($7 * 24 months) plus $100 deductible per claim. With no insurance, you pay $500 every time you replace your Pre. That means that with insurance I can have my phone replaced up to 3 times and still come out better than if I needed a single replacement without insurance.
    As others have said, the $7/month seems pretty reasonable for a device that would cost $500 to replace. Considering a cell phone is something you constantly carry around, the chances of losing it or dropping it are greatly increased.

I almost never buy any sort of extended warranty or product "insurance", but I signed up for this for both myself and my wife. One thing to keep in mind is that you can cancel it any time, but you can only get in at the start. My thinking is to re-evaluate as I get closer to my upgrade date (usually 2yrs, but only 1 yr for Premier members I believe). I'd consider dropping the insurance as I get closer if I haven't used it.
    A thought came to mind.
    Why? My wife spilled coffee on her original Pre; the keyboard no longer worked and got a replacement. A few weeks later my son launched it accross the room and no longer worked; got a replacement. A few weeks back, my wife jumped in the pool with the Pre in her pocket; got a replacement. This was all in the span of a few months.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    The insurance is a must, especially if you have a teenager on your plan. They destroy phones like its nothing. Also, the insurance passes automatically to any phone activated through Sprint if you already have the coverage. So, if you don't want to pay the deductabe or want to wait for your one year full rebate and you have an old phone to activate...or if you buy one from ebay or craigslist, it is still insured. That is pretty nice.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I've broken several phones over time (including my Centro twice) it is worth the price for insurance.
    i have insurance in my first line but not in the second my cousin use the second line and he paid a full price when his phone was lost, and he paid full price again when he broke his second phone. i just paid 50 box when i lost my first phone. and now i have my second pre and i dont paid nothing so the insurance work fine and if i have to pay 150 for futures phones im ok with that. full price is to much money
    I recommend it if you have an expensive phone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast