Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I've not been able to justify it for myself, mostly because despite the fact that anything can happen, it's a gamble either way.

You pay $7 a month for "piece of mind". Granted, I understand some are okay with that.

For me that equates to $168 over the course of 2 years if nothing happens to my phone. If my phone lasts a year, then something happens, we're talking about $84 for insurance, and $100 for a deductable for a replacement phone which may or may not be a refurb unit. $184 is cheaper than a new Pre without contract, sure - but I'm seeing new Pres on eBay right now for $249 without contract. I'm sure that within a whole year that price is going to come down.

Either way, I can see the benefit for some people, but can't justify it for myself.
    I can't justify $84 a year for insurance that has a $100 deductible, but I CAN justify getting a different insurance that is cheaper. State Farm is covering my phone for ~$24 per year, with zero deductible.
    I never pay for this. I've never broken a phone and if it happens I can pay with the money saved from all the years of not paying for insurance.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    you better you betta you bet!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    I can't justify $84 a year for insurance that has a $100 deductible, but I CAN justify getting a different insurance that is cheaper. State Farm is covering my phone for ~$24 per year, with zero deductible.
    Only problem with that option is that it varies from region to region whether SF will cover cell phones. I also know a couple of people that had their SF policies dropped without warning when their region decided to stop covering cell phones.
    i got rid of my insurance for a couple of reasons.

i have used it to replace phones that i damaged, however it was replaced with a used phone. most of the time they came fairly clean but always had some flaw with them. and from my experience since the phones were refirbed, the phone almost every time ended up having some problem

if you go on craigslist you can find a good used phone that has had no problems for just a couple of hundred. i see pre on there all day long for 200-300 and most are only a few weeks old. and since its not refirbed your not getting someone elses problem. and your not stuck in a contact. i have purchased my last 3 phones from there with no problems.

to me its a waste of money.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I only had the insurance for the first 30 day period when my wife and I were both trial-ing the phone, then I got rid of the insurance once we each decided to keep it past the 30 day period.

At any given time, there will probably be someone who has used the phone for a short time and wants to sell theirs and go get whatever the latest new gadget is, so if I do damage my phone I would just buy an 'almost-new' used one.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I havent seen any mention of the absurd $100 deductible! That means 7x12+100 to use your insurance. That is 148 bucks if you make a claim each years. I have 5 pres on my account. Ill just buy a pre off of ebay or craigslist if one breaks for 300 bucks. Not to mention it wont be refurbished. There are refubs on ebay for $225. That really makes the insurance look like a bad option for me.
    Just something to think about.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I'm a little worried that people might just read the first page of this thread (which is full of praise for the insurance) and skip the next page to see people who question the usefulness.

To Summarize
    Get insurance if you can justify:
    1. $7 / Mo
    2. $84 for 1 Year
    3. $168 for 2 Years
    4. $100 Deductable for the Pre
    5. Replacement may be a refurb

Things to keep in mind:

• If you're clumsy, or usually mess up your phone (e.g.: drop in toilet, drop on floor, dog eats, etc.) get the insurance.
    • The Pre is covered by Palm for 1 year (does not include accidental coverage)
    • You can get a new Pre on eBay, Craigslist, or elsewhere for ~$200
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I believe the insurance to be worth it.. It extends the warranty to a second year, and gives you peace of mind during the first year if something terrible happens to it, such as you drop it in water or you drop it on cement and it doesn't survive the fall.

I wold say go with it for the first year, and then cancel it. Nobody says you have to keep it insured for the life of the phone.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    My wifes touchscreen went out about 40 days after purchase. We took it in to the sprint store and they supplied us with a refurb. The store rep said that our 1 year warranty is no longer valid since we now have a refubished phone. She said that we should get the $7 insurance to cover any future issues. Is this right? No more warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timw72 View Post
    My wifes touchscreen went out about 40 days after purchase. We took it in to the sprint store and they supplied us with a refurb. The store rep said that our 1 year warranty is no longer valid since we now have a refubished phone. She said that we should get the $7 insurance to cover any future issues. Is this right? No more warranty?
    I doubt it. I would think you could still send it into Palm.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I've had my Pre less than a month and accidentally spilled water on it. I filed an online claim with Asurion at around 6:30pm and had my new Pre by 3pm the next day, complete with all my apps and settings intact after I activated it. What a relief since I had already had my land line disconnected! It's worth every cent the insurance costs!
    Not worth it in my opinion. You'd pay $184 if you had insurrance for a year and replaced your phone once. Then the replacement is a refurbished phone thats probly worth 100 bucks. I can buy a new palm pre on ebay for $249... Also if palm pre is 249 on ebay now im sure in a year it will be cheaper anyway. You'd prob pay more with insurrance.
    Last edited by bigwood212; 10/31/2009 at 07:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Totally worth it. Sprint will fix or replace, unless lost or stolen (or water damaged). I don't baby anything, and I know I will inevitably drop anything not glued to my hands. :-) Plus, even with the extra cost, it's still a huge savings overall compared to what I'd pay with the other carriers. I just find it hard to be bothered when I have everything I want for under $80. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timw72 View Post
    Typically refurbs have a 90 day warranty.

One advantage of insurance (assuming Sprint is like AT&T) is that any replacement you get through insurance will have a full 1 year warranty from the date you get it, whether it's a refurb or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyGirl View Post
    Totally worth it. Sprint will fix or replace, unless lost or stolen (or water damaged). I don't baby anything, and I know I will inevitably drop anything not glued to my hands. :-) Plus, even with the extra cost, it's still a huge savings overall compared to what I'd pay with the other carriers. I just find it hard to be bothered when I have everything I want for under $80. :-)
    What cost 80 buck?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    My monthly service. (The 450 ED plan, which includes anymobile anytime minutes, + TEP, roadside, & Pick3.)
  19.    #39  
    Thanks for all of the responses! I've decided to signup for the insurance, at least for a year. I do quite a bit of road cycling, and my last 2 phones have skidded across the pavement several times. They were flip phones, and survived with just scratches. With the Pre, that would mean a scratched/cracked screen. So, insurance it is, until the Craigslist/eBay prices drop.
  20. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I absolutely would get it. I have had it on all my lines for a long time, and it's been particularly beneficial on my husbands, where I tend to wash his phones.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast