Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    So I have been reading just about everything I can find about the Pre. This forum, listening to Palmcasts, reviews, YouTube videos, I am even hanging out in Sprint Stores to play with the darn thing. I am hooked. With its arrival at Verizon in January(ish) I am set and committed. Here's the problem...

Each day it sounds like the Pre, and/or Palm is getting a bad rap that is only getting worse. Palm stocks down, measly app catalogue (compared to competition) this program lags, that program lags, WebOS has no future, it can never compete at the same level as the iPhone, etc.

So despite the gloom and doom that is starting to follow this mess, tell me, "why should I still invest in this product next year?" My biggest concern is that I will buy my 5th Palm product (as a dedicated loyalist) which will be drawing dead when I open the box.

... or do I have it all wrong?

Tell me its all going to be ok.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > Palm Zire 71 > Palm Treo 700P > Palm Pre Plus (and loving the heck out of it!!!)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    you can't really go wrong with the pre, palm hasn't even started to implement major features, palm has it planned out, don't worry, palm knows what they're doing with this one
    It's a 4-month old phone. The people calling doom and gloom for the future are very premature. To quote John Paul Jones, Palm "has not yet begun to fight."
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i dont think i would not buy such an awesome phone because palms stocks is not doing well, stock is not my problem its palms problem...you have 30 days to try it out if you don't like then you can get something else. Get something you like not something other people like its your money.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Stay funny valentine, stay.
    Funny thing is...I've been reading all the bad news too...Its actually started making me feel like I made a mistake buying the Pre & not selling my Palm stock a few weeks ago.

But you know what? I bought Palm's stock because "I" saw something that "I" believed in. "I" bought the Pre because "I" believe that the core features of WebOs (mainly UI, Gesture Navigation, & Cards) make it the best OS. I just have to wait for the extra features to be added and allow the OS to mature.

I plan to buy more Palm stock if it drops below $10. The iPhone is mature and WebOs in its infant stages challenges it. Android is now mature and the infant WebOs is very close to beating it. "I" believe when WebOs matures it will dominate the iPhone & Android....not in sales, but in overall user enjoyment and satisfaction.

Which phone do "you" believe in? Not the market, not the tech bloggers, but "you." Buy that device.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    BTW, you do NOT have 30 days to return it on Verizon. They might give you 72 hours at best, make sure to read the fine print.

Anyway, if you like it, go for it. People on the internet get overexcited sometimes. The Droid is coming out and it is a nice phone, but the Pre can still hold its own.

There are pros and cons of each, if you still want the Pre after considering it, there is no reason not to get it. The VZW version might be improved slightly as well, possibly with more storage or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhfloyd View Post
    Tell me its all going to be ok.

It's all going to be ok.

Just keep in mind the fact that the boards here are very much like the news - happy happy joy joy doesn't get reported. Who knows how many people out there have a Pre and have been thrilled with it from day one. They're probably not getting on here to post about how much they love their phone. Well, I, for one, couldn't be happier with my Pre. The key, IMO, is to not be afraid to tinker with it. The homebrew community here is simply fantastic, and while there are some really great homebrew apps out there, the absolute best thing that the developer community has given us is the patches. It's truly amazing how much you can customize on your Pre with the patches, and the developers have worked hard to make it so they can be installed with a simple tap of the screen. No more scary "rooting" involved (although, honestly, I've done that too, and it's really not that hard - with WebOS Doctor, you just can't brick this phone).

I'd like to see someone with an iPhone be able to do the kind of customization that I can do with my Pre. Want to change the way your icons are displayed? No problem. Want to add the date to the top bar of the screen? Absolutely. Want to edit your autocorrect dictionary? That's a snap. Can the iPhone be used to tether your laptop? Not to my knowledge. I can't speak for the new Droid phones that are coming out, as I have absolutely no knowledge of those, but my husband has an iPhone and my mom has an HTC WinMo piece of crap, so I can confidently say, my Pre kicks *** over both of those.

Of course, this is all my personal preference and opinion, and you'll probably have an opinion of your own, but seriously, at least try it out and decide for yourself.

Just my 2.

-- Alisa
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    BTW, you do NOT have 30 days to return it on Verizon. They might give you 72 hours at best, make sure to read the fine print.

Anyway, if you like it, go for it. People on the internet get overexcited sometimes. The Droid is coming out and it is a nice phone, but the Pre can still hold its own.

There are pros and cons of each, if you still want the Pre after considering it, there is no reason not to get it. The VZW version might be improved slightly as well, possibly with more storage or something like that.
    the droid is a nice piece of hardware but ive read it doesnt have pinch zoom in browser and also that its camera sucks even though its 5mp...its battery is gr8 but thats all plus the keyboard is flat...so i think its way too hyped right now

EDIT: plus i dont like how it multitasks...i dont even think i can call it multitasking if u even c the videos on youtube
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    no dont buy now, wait at least another 6 months till they made a true phone not a plastic toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    the droid is a nice piece of hardware but ive read it doesnt have pinch zoom in browser and also that its camera sucks even though its 5mp...its battery is gr8 but thats all plus the keyboard is flat...so i think its way too hyped right now

EDIT: plus i dont like how it multitasks...i dont even think i can call it multitasking if u even c the videos on youtube
    The hero does have pinch to zoom in the browser along with flash. Multi task is done in a different way. I would suggest getting the hero and revisiting the pre in 6 months. Not bashing the pre but I have had 4. I have on hero with absolutely no problems. The app store alone makes it worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    no dont buy now, wait at least another 6 months till they made a true phone not a plastic toy.
    Intelligent response!
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    The hero does have pinch to zoom in the browser along with flash. Multi task is done in a different way. I would suggest getting the hero and revisiting the pre in 6 months. Not bashing the pre but I have had 4. I have on hero with absolutely no problems. The app store alone makes it worth it.
    I've had one pre since launch day wit no problem everyybody will have different expectations...for me I'm sticking with my pre because I absolutely love it...sorry you had 4 pre's

Edit: all I'm saying...don't go by what other people tell you...you should try it out and see if you like it...you do have 30 days to make up your mind...if not then get the hero or w.e...but the pre is absolutely awesome in my honest opinion of course
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

The Droid will outsell the Pre easily because its Verizion's legitimate iPhone "killer" and Vzw has a warchest of funds to advertise it. Sprint said early on that they would not heavily promote the Pre due to financial reasons internally.

BTW, Palm's stock got hammered in like with the entire market.

To the OP: as far as getting a Pre, I say go for it. You have 30 days to try it and if you find that its a keeper and later (6-8 months) change your mind, you always have Sprint Primeire that allows new contract pricing on a new device every 12 months (rather them 24 months/contract fulfillment).

A few things to look forward to: Palm just hired AMD's linux graphics programer to enable the GPU in the Pre that's not being used the moment. Enabling the GPU should make the Pre's UI function as smooth as the iPhone. It will also off-load some of the processing the CPU is doing (on graphics) and give it a bump in overall performance.
    It looks like a pre-release of webOS is being seeded to developers so anew OS should be out soon. Palm seems to fix and update webOS on about a monthly basis.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 10/31/2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    The Droid will outsell the Pre easily because its Verizion's legitimate iPhone "killer" and Vzw has a warchest of funds to advertise it. Sprint said early on that they would not heavily promote the Pre due to financial reasons internally at Sprint.

BTW, Palm's stock got hammered in like with the entire market.

To the OP: as far as getting a Pre, I say go for it. You have 30 days to try it and if you find that its a keeper and later (6-8 months) change your mind, you always have Sprint Primeire that allows new contract pricing on a new device every 12 months (rather them 24 months/contract fulfillment).

A few things to look forward to: Palm just hired AMD's linux graphics programer to enable the GPU in the Pre that's met being used the moment. Enabling the GPU should make the Pre's UI function as smooth as the iPhone. It will also off-load some of the processing the CPU is doing and give it a bump in overall performance.
    It looks like a pre-release of webOS is being seeded to developers so anew OS should be out soon. Palm seems to fix and update webOS on about a monthly basis.
    They hired an ATI linux programmer? Awesome. Their video cards kick ***.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    They hired an ATI linux programmer? Awesome. Their video cards kick ***.
    Yea...you should read the front page frequently as there's good info and articles.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post

You do have 30 days to return phones (I just returned 2 storms after 20+ days). If you purchase another phone w/in 3 days/72 hours, you get charged a restocking fee - they gotta dig at you somehow.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    As I said on hte fp article, enabling hte GPU won't do anything for hte interface. They would have to rewrite the whole hting in order to get it to be powered by the GPU, and I doubt that they will do that. It is smooth enough already IMO, and the hardware running it is only going to get faster. If the next Pre has snapdragon then I doubt you will notice any lag at all in the UI.

Enabling the GPU will however allow you to play 3D games on it and may also at some far point in the future speed up flash.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Buy a Pre. It blows blackberry out of the water. Iphone is superior until you get used to Pre and how smoothly you can multitask.
    If your "hooked" on the pre then you owe it to yourself to give it a spin and test out how it works for you in your life....

me personally I love this device!