1.    #1  
    So I have a friend who regularly fowards jokes via SMS. Usually they are broken up into parts of 160 characters or less (which is the SMS standard for most carriers in the US). Every blue moon she'll send one that is at least triple that and it all shows up as one complete message.

When someone sends a messages longer than 160 characters from a Pre it arrives in parts since the Pre breaks it up before it is sent (as a lot of other phones out there). I'm wondering if the Pre is smart enough to piece together "parted" messages if they arrive at the same time though. Anyone know for sure if that's the case???
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Good question and I've been wondering what the low down is with this from carrier to carrier.
    When I get SMS from Verizon, sometimes they come split up less than 160 each. On some occasions from my iPhone friends if a message is needed to be split, I'll get the second half of the text first, then the first half second.
    Interested to see if anyone knows the dealio on this subject.. .
    It seems to vary by carrier and by phone. I know that Verizon, when sending to another carrier, limits text messages to <160 characters. It will enforce this by cutting off any characters over 160.
    Well, technical details can be found here:
    SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Concatenated SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much it all depends on:
    a) how the sending phone handles long messages (does it cut off after 160, or send multiple messages)
    b) how the networks handle long messages (GSM and CDMA work a bit differently with SMS)
    c) how the receiving phone handles long messages (does it recognize a concatenated message and properly reassemble it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  5.    #5  
    I do know that some carriers imposed a 140 character limit back in the day. Maybe they stayed with that while others allowed 160. I was wondering more if the Pre pieces them together if they come in at the same time though?!?!?

By the way, my friend's carrier is T-Mobile.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    Time to get VIRAL
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Well, technical details can be found here:
    SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Concatenated SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much it all depends on:
    a) how the sending phone handles long messages (does it cut off after 160, or send multiple messages)
    b) how the networks handle long messages (GSM and CDMA work a bit differently with SMS)
    c) how the receiving phone handles long messages (does it recognize a concatenated message and properly reassemble it)
    Thanks! I was focused on "c". Do any of you know if the Pre does that?
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I do know that some carriers imposed a 140 character limit back in the day. Maybe they stayed with that while others allowed 160. I was wondering more if the Pre pieces them together if they come in at the same time though?!?!?

By the way, my friend's carrier is T-Mobile.
    The 140 character limit was because they were using the 8-bit alphabet. For standard English, they can now get away with a 7-bit alphabet. Its more difficult to decode, but it lets you squeeze in 20 extra characters. If you use non-English characters, it would have to switch to a 16-bit alphabet where you would only get 70 characters.

I believe the Pre does reassemble, but the carriers might muck things up. If you have a Sprint friend it should be easy to test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    I recently received a very long text message that was over 160 characters long. When I noticed I had received the SMS I went and looked at it. What I saw was the first part of the message (1 of 2) being most recently received with the second part (denoted with a 2 of 2) as having been received just before it.

Not the most convenient way to send SMS... I've just gotten used to sending small text messages as a habit now.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRagunton View Post
    I recently received a very long text message that was over 160 characters long. When I noticed I had received the SMS I went and looked at it. What I saw was the first part of the message (1 of 2) being most recently received with the second part (denoted with a 2 of 2) as having been received just before it.

Not the most convenient way to send SMS... I've just gotten used to sending small text messages as a habit now.
    The ones I received didn't have the 1/2 - 2/2 notations...
    Time to get VIRAL
    I cat believe noone knows how messages are longer that 160. It is because they are sent as mms. Some phones give you the option to send as sms or mms.
    Back in the day I had a tracfone that would allow 400 some characters per text. I'm pretty sure it wasn't mms... you know, since it was a tracfone.
    I am sure it only allowed you write those characters in "one" sms. But it auto split the messages.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Yeah my old Fusic had the option to send text only MMS messages. I really miss that feature on the Pre because that had a 1000 character limit. I could also attach videos, audio recordings, multiple pics, and any combo of them. Ahh, the good old days of feature full dumb phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    So I have a friend who regularly fowards jokes via SMS. Usually they are broken up into parts of 160 characters or less (which is the SMS standard for most carriers in the US). Every blue moon she'll send one that is at least triple that and it all shows up as one complete message.

When someone sends a messages longer than 160 characters from a Pre it arrives in parts since the Pre breaks it up before it is sent (as a lot of other phones out there). I'm wondering if the Pre is smart enough to piece together "parted" messages if they arrive at the same time though. Anyone know for sure if that's the case???
    it would be nice to have a patch that still splits it...but puts it in one message..but hu knows that sounds really difficult
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    I cat believe noone knows how messages are longer that 160. It is because they are sent as mms. Some phones give you the option to send as sms or mms.

Ahhh! I've seen that option on other phones before. I didn't know that bumped the character limit up to 1000 though...thanks!
    Time to get VIRAL
    I usually get forwards longer than 160 but it has a picture attach so its a mms.