Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK. So as some of you may remember, I have an apple computer.

Just last night, I had my pre plugged into the usb drive of my computer, charging. All of a sudden I got the following message: "USB Over Current Notice--A USB device is currently drawing too much power. The hub to which it is attached to will be deactivated." Needless to say, it wouldn't charge and soon died.

Now I get this message every time I try plugging it in to my laptop (mbp). So thinking nothing of it, I plugged it into the wall and left it over night. Nothing. Phone is still dead, battery will not charge. When it is plugged into the wall however, I press the power button; sometimes I get a black and white diagram of a power cord and a question mark.

What does all of this mean? Has anyone ever heard of this? Will I have to replace my phone? Did that message mean my phone was going to be deactivated, or the cord was going to be deactivated, or did it mean the usb port itself is deactivated? This sucks. I need some major help I'm alone right now AND NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT!
    That image means your battery is too low to even boot the OS to show the screen. Let it charge for a couple hours at least.
  3.    #3  
    Well I tried that already...I left it plugged in the wall overnight.
    Same thing happened here too. It isn't your Pre it the Mac. It turns off usb port if something is taking up tomuch power. If this happends then it burns out the port. To reset it hold down option-command-exc. Force Quit all programs then restart the mac.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  5.    #5  
    That's fine, but I think something might be wrong with the pre, as it is still not charging. When the mac burnt the port out, do you think it could have affected the usb cable or the pre?
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    The message means that the port was deactivated. You should be able to reactivate the port by unplugging everything and restarting your computer.

I have nothing for you on the phone itself. It sounds like the battery was damaged, but I don't know how. If you have a friend with a Pre, try switching out your batter and see if works.
  7.    #7  
    don't know too many people with a pre..so i don't think that will really be an option.
    I've you've left it plugged into the wall overnight and it's not charging, sounds like you might need to take it into Sprint for diagnosis. Hopefully they'll consider it warranty repair, since you really don't have any idea what happened. It's really just speculation to propose that your MBP somehow damaged the Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyeatworld View Post
    That's fine, but I think something might be wrong with the pre, as it is still not charging. When the mac burnt the port out, do you think it could have affected the usb cable or the pre?
    The Mac disabled the port so it wouldn't burn out. Just do as I said and it wil enable it. It doesn't let it charge or anything is it is disabled.
    - John Wayne
    Oh, another fix for what maybe wrong. One day my Pre just stopped charging. I found that if you take the back-cover off and the battery out, then push down on the chipset on the back (especially near the battery metals) it will work again.
    - John Wayne
  11.    #11  
    Rennat may you please rephrase this:

"The Mac disabled the port so it wouldn't burn out. Just do as I said and it wil enable it. It doesn't let it charge or anything is it is disabled"

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "it doesn't let it charge or anything is it is disabled..." Also, I'm not talking about strictly charging in the usb port. My pre won't charge in the wall either.
    the battery is probably fried so take it back and get another one and dont let it get real low for like four weeks after that it should be conditioned
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13.    #13  
    I don't know how the battery could have just fried. It was working fine, I was texting making calls, and then when the battery was low, i plugged it into my computer..got the message...and now the pre won't charge anywhere at all.

rennat--explain what you did with taking the back off in a little more detail. what exactly did you push down?

Could the usb ports being turned off or whatever have fried the battery?
    these batteries are not made to die out so it could have beed defective in the first place and getting real low just finished who knows but thats what it sounds like to me
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #15  
    Good point. I would assume the same thing, but it's actually been a pretty good battery for me (of course, at first it died pretty quickly) but the past month has given me long usage. So i don't really know. If it were defective from the beginning, wouldn't I have noticed something by now?
    maybe ,maybe not but i would plug it in and see if you can get that symbol to come up again then just leave it to charge it may or may not work. then tomorrow get it replaced , but i do know my laptop worked for like three years then one day bamm it was done t just that quick lol it didnt go out slowly but like in one day lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  17.    #17  
    damn. anyone else have any ideas?
    need a new battery maybe lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    First, it was always recommended that you don't use the Pre with a HUB. You should always plug your Pre directly into your computer.

OK that is what you do in the future from now on.

What to do now, I would do what someone else said, pull the battery from the Pre for an a few minutes. Then put back and try and do the recharge again overnight.

If it still shows that charge message, then I agree bring your Pre into Sprint and let them diagnose it. Chances are they will just give you a new Pre. You are under warranty. You will not have to pay that $100 (for the insurance replacement, this is not that).

Good luck!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Remove the battery from your pre, plug it into the wall socket and see if it works or turns on (even if it doesn't load). If it does, the battery is the most likely problem. If it doesn't, it's most likely the Pre is damaged somehow and needs to go to Sprint.

The Pre was drawing too much amperage through the USB port and the Mac shut the port off to avoid damaging the port's hardware. Most likely the charging circuit in the battery died (it happens - Lions are basically little bombs that have a circuit inside that tells them not to blow up) and the Pre was wrongly trying to compensate. As far as how much damage was done to the Pre...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast