1.    #1  
    Actually what broke was the little thin strip of plastic that goes under the usb connection. It broke nice and clean right at the top of the opening for the USB. This left it hanging (like a chad!) since it was still connected at the bottom of the USB opening.

I then carefully bent the little strip of plastic back so it bent right at the bottom of the USB opening and it snapped off. Now instead of an oval-ish opening for the USB connector it is more like an arch with no little strip of plastic on the upper half of the pre slider below where the USB goes in.

Funny thing it that is now its a whole lot easer to get both the USB connector and the Pre's "door" in and out.

So, although i don't recomend doing this on purpose, its been a pretty good "Mod" for me
    pics?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Mine did the same thing.. LOL...

See attached photo of the "Chad"....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    mine did this also and i agree, prolly should have just been built that way
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    mine did this also and i agree, prolly should have just been built that way

After it happend I started wondering if it was really built to be that way or if that was just left over after the plastic molding process. In either case, better with it off.
    Mines did as well, and it probably should have been built that way.
  7. 8er
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Had a similar experience. Not long afterward a crack grew from the usb port to the corner of the screen. It may continue growing as it is 7mm long now.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    this happened to mine a while ago, it makes it way easier to open the little piece for the usb
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Just got mine replaced today because of this issue. The poor quality of the hardware of this phone is killing me. I'm glad Palm learned their lesson and isn't doing the same thing with the charging door on the Pixi. Hopefully it'll carry on to upgrade of the Pre that's going to come eventually.
    hehe - that's what we calling it too the hanging chad - it is a nuisance - just cut yours off too. Better yet get the touchstone (i was a skeptic, but it's just way cool to just plop it onto the touchstone puck)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    This just happened to me tonight!! I was even contemplating posting a topic asking if this was grounds for a replacement if I were to take it to the Sprint store. I still might to see if it does get me a new one and maybe it will have less play in the handset. I don't have anything handy at the moment to make a clean cut, so I'll have to do that tomorrow - I don't want to try and just rip it all the way off.

I do have a touchstone, but I travel quite a bit so I'm always using the side door when I'm out of town and away from the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
    This just happened to me tonight!! I was even contemplating posting a topic asking if this was grounds for a replacement if I were to take it to the Sprint store. I still might to see if it does get me a new one and maybe it will have less play in the handset. I don't have anything handy at the moment to make a clean cut, so I'll have to do that tomorrow - I don't want to try and just rip it all the way off.

I do have a touchstone, but I travel quite a bit so I'm always using the side door when I'm out of town and away from the touchstone.
    If you bend it a couple of times, it'll snap right off. That's what happened to mine. I was trying to keep it on there for when I took it in to get replaced but it snapped off on its own. They said they don't normally replace them for it but the lady doing it said the same thing happened to her so she knows it's an issue and did it anyways for me.
  13.    #13  
    Something to note here, after it breaks off (at least on mine) you cant tell in any way that something is missing. The apperaqnce is not hurt at all by the missing chad.
    There are many of us midmofan. Don't get too content though, because if/when the rest of that piece breaks off, the usb plug falls out when you remove it.

I started this thread months ago. See post 36:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-usb-plug.html
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    There are many of us midmofan. Don't get too content though, because if/when the rest of that piece breaks off, the usb plug falls out when you remove it.

I started this thread months ago. See post 36:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-usb-plug.html

Didn't catch that thread since it was titled "Pre Body Chip" and this is not a chip. Don't see that the "rest of that piece" (the part that the usb "door" is attached to) is likely to break off since it is not the little thin strip like the chad, but a solid piece next to the usb connection. . Did this happen to you? The thread stops after you cite this as a concern.
    Like I've said: Build Quality sucks. To the point that people love when it falls apart...