1. Vez
    Has anyone of you succeded in installing a C compiler on the Pre?

I am trying to install GCC. What I want to do is to install a couple of things later:

-Yum or apt-get
    -RPM
    -etc..
    Linux version 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 (na@na) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #1 175.1.23.1.1.1.1

That's what I get when I cat /proc/version.
  3. Vez
    i get the same thing...

hum what should i do to install a compiler then.

every apps im trying to install wont be able to ./configure
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    i get the same thing...

hum what should i do to install a compiler then.

every apps im trying to install wont be able to ./configure
    Dunno, I don't know much more about it besides that I've not tried to ./configure anything on the Pre yet. What exactly are you trying to set up right now? Theres a chance a lot of things are available via the optware feed, have you set that up yet? RPM and APT are useless on the Pre, IMO, since the architecture means there aren't really going to be any packages in those formats. IPKG via Optware is where it's at.
  5. Vez
    yeah id like to install some other stuff that RPMs.
    And yum is really to have also
    yeah id like to install some other stuff that RPMs.
    And yum is really to have also

Are the RPM's compiled for ARM 11?(is it 11? I forget exactly) i386 RPM's and such aren't gonna work. Again, have you enabled the Optware feed to see if what you want is available there? There are thousands of programs available already compiled for the Pre's architecture in the Optware feed.
  7. Vez
    you mean in Preware ? Yes i got the Optware and I installed the bootstrap and terminal.
    I can ssh to my pre
    you mean in Preware ? Yes i got the Optware and I installed the bootstrap and terminal.
    I can ssh to my pre
    no, I mean optware. Look it up on the webos internals wiki.

I'd link you, but I'm out in the wild.
    Next steps - WebOS Internals

If you can SSH in though, it means you've done this, unless you manually set up dropbear/openssh. If you've done this, then try installing something like so:

ipkg-opt install nano

nano of course being the software you want to install. Lots of command prompt based apps in the Optware feed.
    Why would you want to compile software on your (relatively) slow Pre? What you want is a cross-compiler so that you can compile your Pre software on your (relatively) fast PC and then zip it up into an ipkg ready for addition in to the repo.

Google "arm cross compiler toolchain" and you'll surely find something. This is on my list of things to do if I ever get some time. However, I'm a bit out of practice with building toolchains, the last time I cross-compiled was about 2-3 years ago making stuff for my NAS box.
    from a terminal, like novaterm or novacom or from the preware app Terminal (as root:
    Code:
    ipkg-opt install gcc
    once this finishes (and it takes a few minutes) ./configure will work.

to see all available optware packages ipkg-opt list. I would suggest using wildcards and alphabet like: ipkg-opt list g* to see all packages that start with the letter 'g' (like gcc). incidentally, make is also available (ipkg-opt install make) and you're gonna need it to fully compile/install.
    Last edited by jnever1; 12/11/2009 at 02:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    if I installed terminal and installed optware advanced command line tool via prewareas well as boot strap then do I still need to run the optware manual setup as linked to above? Is there a command I can type to get the feed of packages? I tried update but I only see packages on my pre.