Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    couple of days ago my touchscreen stopped working for a few minutes and then everything would be fine. Today the touchscreen doesn't work at all! I can't drag the lock to unlock the phone or launch any apps from my launch bar when I slide the phone up. However, when I plug the phone into my charger then the touchscreen starts working. Anyone have this issue? any suggestions? I have done both hard and soft resets. Took the battery out as well. Nothing has worked except when I plug the phone into the charger.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    buuummppp.....heeellllllpppppp!
    Take it to sprint. You've obviously done everything software wise possible. It's gotta be a hardware issue. Loose cable or something.
    same thing happend to me.. took it to sprint got another one...
    You might try WebOS doctor before calling it quits.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Same exact issue here. Eventually the screen would give out more and more until it remained off permanently. I just swapped it at the nearest sprint store.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    mine finally just went completely out so im gonna bring it to sprint first thing in the morning. does anyone know if they will just give me another? or are they gonnna make me do the $100 dollar insurance claim and wait? ive had mine for a while so im not under the 30 day no questions asked policy

thanks, please help
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    mine did the same thing ... touchscreen would only work when plugged into usb.... did a full erase and ran webosdoctor and still had problem ... called sprint tech and they are shipping me a replacement.. meanwhile I will use my old phone.
    Same thing happened to me 14 days after i bought the pre.
    Took it back and had it replaced right there. I hadn't gotten insurance on the phone but did as soon as I took it back.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Holy ****. I have the same problem. What?! This is weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Holy ****. I have the same problem. What?! This is weird.
    Not weird... IMO just another hardware issue that seems to be coming up in more threads. The build quality of these phones has been obvious from the beginning... Oreos, bad pixels, phone shutting off/battery size issue then over months read more of cracks near the power button and phone stuck in headset mode and six months out you start seeing 'my screen died'

one or two reports... possible fluke... one or two post a week lately? could be a sign of another issue and the phone is falling apart. Not saying absolute but keep an eye on more posts like this and recommend people regularly back up their stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Not weird... IMO just another hardware issue that seems to be coming up in more threads. The build quality of these phones has been obvious from the beginning... Oreos, bad pixels, phone shutting off/battery size issue then over months read more of cracks near the power button and phone stuck in headset mode and six months out you start seeing 'my screen died'

one or two reports... possible fluke... one or two post a week lately? could be a sign of another issue and the phone is falling apart. Not saying absolute but keep an eye on more posts like this and recommend people regularly back up their stuff.
    maybe more people just own the phone. the more people, the more problems theres gonna be. but to be honest this phone is not the best in terms of hardware (at least in terms of durability). the webOS is really where it shines.
    This just happened to me today.

Odd. I never had anything happen like this before. I used Purell, and may have used my phone without remembering, so I just blamed it on the Purell. I've had my phone for over a month now so I don't think I have the 30 day warranty thing anymore...

Anyone actually find a solution or did everyone who posted here just end up getting a replacement?

Also, no one posted on whether it cost them to replace or not...
    I had this problem at the very end of my 30 days with the Pre before I returned it and I had to do a remote wipe from the Palm profile web page (had to say it was stolen) to get it to work again.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Happened twice to me 1 or 2 weeks ago. Hasn't happened since, so not sure if I should start worry about getting a replacement or not. I've had the phone about 120 days, so I'm well outside of the 30day, but I do have the warranty. Are they really gonna make me pay the $100 or is it covered under a palm warranty?
    I am currently on my THIRD pre since August. The touchscreen died and I losts 288 pics and the palm profile backup sucks... For those of you having this issue, I went to the repair store and they replaced it a) sent via ups in two days b) gave me a new one right there in the store. No charge. I have the replacement insurance on my plan.
    I am trying to find the common denominator here. The only thing I do consistently is keep my phone plugged into my computer at work. When I take it out of the usb port, I leave the cable in the phone but take it out of the machine. Then it is downhill after that.
    Last edited by divajones; 11/05/2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add
    My touchscreen died yesterday. Well, kind of. It would work when plugged into the charger via the USB cable. It started when I got home from work and plugged it to charge. It worked fine in the car. I answered a few phone calls without issue. Plugged it in to charge, about an hour later went to remove it to go out to dinner, and the touchscreen did not work. I knew I needed a replacement after checking the forums here.

I owned the phone for 3 weeks to the day. Still within 30 days, and I signed up for Sprint's TEP on Monday. I took it up to the Sprint store, and got a new replacement. They were able to transfer almost everything over. The Applications, Contacts, Calendar, Email Account settings all downloaded from my profile. They transferred over all of my photos and music via the USB port. The only thing missing was the Homebrew apps I had installed, and the root certificate I need to access my email server.

The ironic thing is the touchscreen started working after everything was transferred over. I'm wondering if maybe it was something I installed or possibly a problem with the USB port. I recently installed an unnamed app with a 7 day evaluation period that I though was causing random resets. The resets seemed to correlate to events that trigger the system sound, meeting reminders, text messages, etc. Another factor is I use wifi at home and it auto connects whenever I use the phone around the house. The touchscreen did eventually start working after resetting in the store, no wifi configured, hmm. Maybe a conflict or possibly an app automatically checking/downloading/installing an update. Then there's the USB port. I usually plug it in to charge about 2x a day, and the micro-USB plug is a little firm inserting & removing. Maybe a short or bad connection had developed internally. I have been very careful/gentle in plugging it in for charging, definitely more careful than most. If it is a problem with the USB port, then it would have to be a common issue and the staff at the Sprint store acted like it was the first time they have seen the problem.

It would be nice to know the cause, so I could avoid having to hassle with another possible replacement inn the future.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

Here's an update on our similar problems. I went to Sprint and they too were stunned by what they saw (I demonstrated). They had no explanation. They tried testing it and they decided that they would send in a new phone for me.

So, it was replaced as per warranty agreement (any software/hardware defect must be fixed or replaced). However! It was a refurbished Pre. But there was no problem with the phone - you wouldn't have been able to tell if it were new or refurbished.

So far, so good.

I encourage you guys to get it replaced, regardless if you have insurance or not. You still have one year warranty which pertains to software/hardware oddities.
    Yep, Sprint will just replace it (as long as you have the insurance program for it). No claim fee or anything like that. The only thing you spend is the time to log into your Palm profile on your replacement Pre and you're done.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    +1. Agree. Replacement is the way to go withthis issue. It took about 30 minutes for them to determine my old one was broken and transfer everything over to a new one.