Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    As new as the Palm Pre may be, after seeing the Droid, Hero and Storm 2, I can't help but feel my phone is very much outdated. It seems Palm wasn't thinking logically when crafting the hardware for the Pre or the Pixi. For the Pixi, it shouldn't even come with a 2MP camera. It'll save them money ordering the same lens in bulk for both phones than 2 different lenses individually. Here are some Hardware features I must have in the next Pre.
    Feel free to add anything to this list and try to keep commenting to a minimal.

1. Screen.
    Larger Screen
    16 x 9 Ratio
    720 x 400 resolution
    Flat Screen (Not Rounded!)
    3.5" Screen

2. Keyboard
    Larger Keyboard (about 15% Bigger would be great)
    Arrow Keys

3. Button Placement
    Home Button - DELETE/NOT NEEDED
    Power/Sleep Button - Not on Corner! Flat on top of headset.
    Ringer Switch - On Side
    Volume Buttons - Below Ringer Switch
    Same Material - Ringer/Home/Power/Volume seem to be made of different textures. Feels weird.

4. I/O
    USB Port placement should be convenient. Top or Bottom of Phone, not middle side.
    Camera. Placement on Slider Portion of phone.
    2nd Camera - Front Facing.
    Speaker - Bottom or top of phone. Can't lay phone down because Speaker is on bottom and screen is curved.
    SD Card Slot: ESSENTIAL! 8GB should be the standard for all Palm Phones, but give users the option of more space for their files.

And then the usual's...
    More RAM, Faster Processor, Bigger Battery Life, Keep the Mirror.

Suggestions are Welcome, but please keep commenting on other to a minimal. If you like it, repeat the idea, if you dislike it, it'll fade away.
    Last edited by iMando; 10/29/2009 at 10:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I would imagine with 4G we'll start seeing video conferencing here in the states finally so most devices hopefully will start coming with two camera's in a year or so.
    OP, why don't you just buy an iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderfry View Post
    OP, why don't you just buy an iPhone?
    +1
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    +1
    So you're completely satisfied with the pre as it is?

And Because the iPhone doesn't have software that multi- tasks, a physical keyboard or a 16 x 9 Screen or Memory card. Why would you even ask me that?
    Quote Originally Posted by iMando View Post
    So you're completely satisfied with the pre as it is?

And Because the iPhone doesn't have software that multi- tasks, a physical keyboard or a 16 x 9 Screen or Memory card. Why would you even ask me that?
    im more than completely satisfied with my pre...and yes i love that my pre can multitask....imho it kicks the iphones *** anytime....thats just of course my opinion...and plus ive always hated the iphone
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    too much complaining going on...I likr your ideas for the most part, and no doubt Palm has taken note of the competition and is busy innovating for the next gen Pre...but my lord it has gotten rather whiney in these forums lately
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    too much complaining going on...I likr your ideas for the most part, and no doubt Palm has taken note of the competition and is busy innovating for the next gen Pre...but my lord it has gotten rather whiney in these forums lately
    Not just lately . . .
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So much for ideas...
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    960 x 540 resolution
    4.5" Screen
    245 dpi, eh?
    So much for ideas...
    naw they gr8 ideas but in reality 3/4 of the ideas sounds like the iphone
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    245 dpi, eh?
    Magnifying glass sold separately. Not to mention a 4.5" screen would be completely unpocketable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    no, imando, I like your ideas for a next-gen pre...I just find it funny that we're lamenting what we don't have already...and this thing is just 5 months young. The competition is fierce...webos was and still is innovative, though
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    245 dpi, eh?
    Maybe thats too wishful. lol
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Actually, the iPod Nano Fatty has a density of 300 dpi. 245 isn't that bad. But I guess i'll just keep my ideas to myself.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    no, imando, I like your ideas for a next-gen pre...I just find it funny that we're lamenting what we don't have already...and this thing is just 5 months young. The competition is fierce...webos was and still is innovative, though
    We're lamenting already because that exact reason. The phone is only 5 months old and it already doesn't have what we want. Web OS is great, I believe the platform is off to a good [but rocky] start. The hardware needed to be upgraded before launch, and I think palm knew that. They've already fixed the screen ith Pixi and the Home button.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I think OP is right.
    The hardware is pretty low-end. So many phones came with oreo/gaps.
    It sucks, cause you pick up your phone and you keep thinking it's cheap. =/

WebOS? It's great. Once it has flash, video rec., and it's faster, it will do really well...

I feel like hardware is setting Palm back.
    Listen the grass always seem greener else where. the pre is coming along all tho slowly. The hero isn't all that I think it is horribly slow the browser sucks and it can't do any thing the pre can't. The only thing I like of about the hero is the hardware oh and it has a desktop sync.