Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Damien Pisetsky
  1.    #1  
    So I read a few comments around this site that Doubletwist has malware. Can anybody confirm this? I use my iMac for music and it seems like I have less options for syncing than PC's.
    Your kidding, right?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    No there are columns that have listed Doubletwist as having Malware. I don't use it but I've read some of the same columns claiming that it does have it. Malware was probably from a diff source but was blamed on DT.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4.    #4  
    These are from the iTunes sync is dead article from this site:

<Submitted by tannyo on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 16:11.
    <Yea, doubletwist is great if you have an affinity for malware.

<Read the EULA and never look back.

<I highly recommend iTuneMyWalkman for free iTunes/Pre syncing that won't <break.

<It's irresponsible for people to keep recommending doubletwist, rather than <letting people know about its malware connections.

and...

<Submitted by dfine1966 on Fri, 10/30/2009 - 00:06.
    <I highly recommend iTuneMyWalkman. It syncs way better tha iTunes does <anyway, and your music doesnít end up hidden and obfuscated on your <phone; iTuneMyWalkman

<Itís also free, and works with iTunes, so you donít have to switch media <players.
    <Doubletwist is a malware bomb.

Both posters mention iTunemywalkman so it's a bit suspicious. So I did a Google search and found this....

doubleTwist 1.0 Beta 12 Build 2141 - 100% Clean - certified by Softpedia - Softpedia

So I don't really know...Not sure how reliable the Softpedia people are.
    I get stuff from Softpedia often, including Microsoft Security Essentials when it was in Beta. Never had an issue.

I read the EULA, and this is the only part I got "malware" from:

Article 5 Section D. EULA | doubleTwist
    D. You understand that when using the doubleTwist Website, you will be exposed to Communications Content from a variety of sources, and that doubleTwist is not responsible for the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such Communications Content. You further understand and acknowledge that, despite the terms of our End User License Agreement and Terms of Service, you may be exposed to Communications Content that is inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against doubleTwist with respect thereto, and agree to indemnify and hold doubleTwist, its Owners/Operators, affiliates, and/or licensors, harmless to the fullest extent allowed by law regarding all matters related to your use of the site and services.
    However, further down it talks about the feature of communicating with other dT users

Article 7 Communication and Your Use of the doubleTwist Software

7.1 Communication. Installing doubleTwist Software enables You to communicate with other doubleTwist Software users.
    7.3 No Responsibility of Content. You acknowledge and understand that the content of the communication spread by the use of the doubleTwist Software is entirely the responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. You, therefore, may be exposed to content that is offensive, harmful to minors, indecent or otherwise objectionable. doubleTwist will not be liable for any type of communication spread by means of the doubleTwist Software.
    I'm no lawyer, but to me the communication content delivered from variety of sources would have to be through the social networking feature of the app itself, not some hidden program installed without knowing.
    I prefer Mozilla Songbird over iTunes or Doubletwist but that's my preference. But DoubleTwist is a legit app that works very well.
    I wrote to DT asking why I was required to open an account with them for something I'll be using only offline. They said that I can use it offline without any tracking or communication with DT and other users.

I still haven't installed it yet. To my mind, a free app should wither be open source or there's a catch somewhere. That EULA looks suspicious to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I wrote to DT asking why I was required to open an account with them for something I'll be using only offline. They said that I can use it offline without any tracking or communication with DT and other users.

I still haven't installed it yet. To my mind, a free app should wither be open source or there's a catch somewhere. That EULA looks suspicious to me.
    Because of there options to purchase content and the fact that this is also done with iTunes. Come on people think about it, this app is not just for syncing. If it was open source then it would have come with the GnuPL.
    Our application has been reviewed multiple times by reputable publications like the BBC and CNET. doubleTwist is also bundled by mobile phone manufacturers like INQ (inqmobile.com/phones/inq-mini-3g/) in Europe. We are backed by the investors who were behind Skype, Last.FM, Facebook and Spotify (doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Management.dt)

As Version_3 above shows, you don't have to be a lawyer to figure out that those items in our EULA/TOS relate to the social features of doubleTwist.

Of course, there's always anonymous cowards who have an axe to grind or are just clueless individuals wearing tinfoil hats. With over a billion people on the net there's bound to be a few around

Jon Lech Johansen
    doubleTwist co-founder
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post

You need to learn more about development before you make comments like this because it makes you sound uneducated.

Just because an app is free and closed source doesnt make is suspicious. Devs make their apps Free to help their community and closed to protect thier hard work. Making it open would allow anyone to repackage their work and sell it.
    It is not fair to the original dev to do all of the work so just anyone can take credit and profit from it.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

11.    #11  
    Thank you, Jon. I just saw on Cnet that they back the program. I'll continue using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonLech View Post
    Our application has been reviewed multiple times by reputable publications like the BBC and CNET. doubleTwist is also bundled by mobile phone manufacturers like INQ (inqmobile.com/phones/inq-mini-3g/) in Europe. We are backed by the investors who were behind Skype, Last.FM, Facebook and Spotify (doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Management.dt)

As Version_3 above shows, you don't have to be a lawyer to figure out that those items in our EULA/TOS relate to the social features of doubleTwist.

Of course, there's always anonymous cowards who have an axe to grind or are just clueless individuals wearing tinfoil hats. With over a billion people on the net there's bound to be a few around

Jon Lech Johansen
    doubleTwist co-founder
    I do not understand computer stuff easily, at all. It took me like 6 hours to put my iTunes music on my android with DoubleTwist. That being said I dont know what to think of DoubleTwist.
    I had DoubleTwist on my phone for a couple weeks, and out of the blue, seemingly, my phone just started freaking out. I have an LG G Stylo (metro pcs version 168gh memory & 28gh ram). My phone started playing music all by its self. The song would play for like 3 seconds and pause for 2, and just kept going on like that without end. I had very limited function in my phone (ie. I could go to menus screen, but could not select any of the sections. I could open crome, and get a curser in the field, but the typing buttons would not come up. When I opened the music player hoping to turn it off, I could watch the player go from play to pause, play to puase, without end, and i could not interupt the pattern at all.). I kept turning off and restarting the phone, but it did no good. After removing the battery I was barley able, it seemed, to get into the section for factory reset. I did a factory reset, and did not install DoubleTwist.
    My thinking was since it was the music player that was going crazy at the same time that my phone was unresponsive that it might have had something to do with the double DoubleTwist app(s). I have taken very good care of this phone, and tried to find the most official seeming way to get my iTunes music on my android.
    I need my phone to access notes for my job every day without fail or I do not make any money. This was a panic and a half for me, and i am now looking at having a back-up device for such emergencies. I have not reinstalled DoubleTwist and i have never had any problem even close to the one I had that evening before or since.
    I do not understand what happened, but i am very worries about reinstalling DoubleTwist. I really would like to have my music with me, but the risk is too crazy. I dont know why I haven't geared about this problem from more people. I have been saving up and plan on getting the note 5 fairly soon. Right now there is no way I would risk putting double DoubleTwist on that phone. I might try it again on my LG, of I have a better phone... Does anyone have any insight to help me here? I just want my iTunes music that i paid for on my android. I paid like $15 to get DoubleTwist going, and i thought since I was paying that it might be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien Pisetsky View Post
    I do not understand computer stuff easily, at all. It took me like 6 hours to put my iTunes music on my android with DoubleTwist. That being said I dont know what to think of DoubleTwist.
    I had DoubleTwist on my phone for a couple weeks, and out of the blue, seemingly, my phone just started freaking out. I have an LG G Stylo (metro pcs version 168gh memory & 28gh ram).
    I've never heard of this Double Twist - though obviously this thread (from 2009) is discussing the app. There was a time when Palm enabled the Pre to sync with iTunes, but Apple kept locking them out until they gave up. I don't know how that affected Double Twist.

Anyhow, the first thing to point out is that this is a forum for webOS phones. LG eventually bought webOS & uses it on their TVs. We'd all love them to make a webOS phone, but they probably won't.

I was surprised to read 28Gb RAM - you might be overestimating LG G Stylo (CDMA) - Full phone specifications

You can see links to sister sites at the top of the screen. Android Central is your best bet. You'll see they don't link back to this forum - the last webOS phone came out in 2011!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/24/2015 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I've never heard of this Double Twist - though obviously this thread (from 2009) is discussing the app. There was a time when Palm enabled the Pre to sync with iTunes, but Apple kept locking them out until they gave up. I don't know how that affected Double Twist.

Anyhow, the first thing to point out is that this is a forum for webOS phones. LG eventually bought webOS & uses it on their TVs. We'd all love them to make a webOS phone, but they probably won't.

I was surprised to read 28Gb RAM - you might be overestimating LG G Stylo (CDMA) - Full phone specifications

You can see links to sister sites at the top of the screen. Android Central is your best bet. You'll see they don't link back to this forum - the last webOS phone came out in 2011!
    Thank you for redirecting me.
    I'll check out the other forums you mentioned.

I ment to type 16gb memory & 2gb ram, as opposed to the 1gb ram version. Thank you for reading through my confusion and typos.
    Preemptive likes this.